Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Casa

May 25, 2011, 4:32 PM

Post #1 of 77 (22629 views)

Shortcut

New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
Well the Ley de Migración was signed yesterday by president Calderon and published today in the Diario Official.

As I alluded to back in February there are changes! (for all foreigners in Mexico NOT only Central American migrants)

The new IDs are called Tarjeta de Residencia (Temporario or Permanente)

Gone are Non-inmigrante, inmigrante and Inmigrado and no more FM2, FM3
Visitante remains but there are changes there as well.

There are now 3 categories:

Visitante (6 kinds)
Residente temporario (2 Kinds) All No Inmigrante and Inmigrantes
Residente Permanente (1Kind) Inmigrados

I have not read the whole law in detail but I have scanned it. It seems “better” more lenient to me.

(Mexico will introduce a Point system for permanent resident applicants who do not want to fulfill the 4 year residency requirement as temporary residents)

Permanent residency after 4 years of temporary residency
Permanent residency after 2 years of marriage or common law relationship with Mexican citizen
Permanent residency without 4 years of residency if qualified by point system

I am not sure if it is correct but I got the impression from the new law that there are no more renewals every year but we will have to wait and see if that is true.

Although the Ley de Migracion has been published the Reglamento to the new Immigration law has not yet been published so as far as INM is concerned there are not yet procedures in place for issuing the new cards and all of the Requisitos (requirements) for the different classifications.

Something tells me it will be a bigger mess than last year when the changed over from the booklets to the new cards.

(This post was edited by Casa on May 25, 2011, 6:10 PM)

chicois8

May 25, 2011, 4:39 PM

Post #2 of 77 (22610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
Thank you for the update, it will be fun to see how this plays out.....suerte
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

esperanza

May 25, 2011, 5:27 PM

Post #3 of 77 (22596 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Casa, could you post a link? I can't find mention of this in today's Diario Oficial. Thanks.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

morgaine7

May 25, 2011, 5:35 PM

Post #4 of 77 (22586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
Here you go ... I just managed to find it:
http://dof.gob.mx/...amp;fecha=25/05/2011

Kate

esperanza

May 25, 2011, 5:52 PM

Post #5 of 77 (22580 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
Good for you! Thanks for posting it.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

joaquinx

May 25, 2011, 6:11 PM

Post #6 of 77 (22563 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I wonder how this will play out in Washington with the current debate(?) on immigration reform.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

DavidHF

May 25, 2011, 6:24 PM

Post #7 of 77 (22549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
There is no "current debate" underway on immigration refrom in the USA.

joaquinx

May 25, 2011, 6:28 PM

Post #8 of 77 (22547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply

In Reply To
There is no "current debate" underway on immigration refrom in the USA.

That's the reason for the question mark. Perhaps this is Calderon's attempt to "push" the debate.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

chicois8

May 25, 2011, 6:40 PM

Post #9 of 77 (22532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
Maybe it will make it easier for expats to relocate in Mexico.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Rolly

May 25, 2011, 7:45 PM

Post #10 of 77 (22514 views)

Shortcut

Re: New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
It's a little early to tell just how much difference this will make.
The enabling regulations have to be written before we know how much of an impact this will actually have for ex-pats

Rolly Pirate

tashby

May 25, 2011, 7:56 PM

Post #11 of 77 (22499 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the update, Casa.

(Personally, I'd like to keep US policy/politics out of this thread. I last looked at that mess a few years ago in the rearview mirror of our car.)

While everything else gets sorted and the dust settles on this as it applies to foreigners in México, I think I'll just spend my time trying to collect points. Mmmmmmm. Points.

Thanks again for the heads up.

(This post was edited by tashby on May 25, 2011, 8:03 PM)

johanson

May 25, 2011, 7:59 PM

Post #12 of 77 (22493 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
I belong to several Mexican forums. And I learned about the new law here first. In fact, I haven't seen it mentioned on the other forums. I'm up north for a few months, as I am every year at this time, freezing to death spending time in both Seattle and Vancouver Island with my relatives where it's raining almost every day and the high was maybe 12-13 C or about 55 F this afternoon.

Thank you Mexconnect for being there for us.

Pete, El ruco

Gringal

May 26, 2011, 7:12 AM

Post #13 of 77 (22362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply

Send rain PLEASE, Pete!

Anyone know what "points" are; how they are acquired.......any information?

Another question: Mentioned on another forum, but of interest to all expats: IMSS seems to be arbitrarily deleting some people from the rolls who have been members for over 5 years. Meanwhile, Calderon has promised coverage for "all residents" who want it; but the question remains: who are "residents"? Permanent residents, as described in the new regulations (see OP) or "Temporary residents" as well?

Casa

May 26, 2011, 9:31 AM

Post #14 of 77 (22294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Anyone know what "points" are; how they are acquired.......any information?

The Mexican point system for immigration has not yet be written or established. The new law provides for the establishment of such a system but it has not yet been written or implemented.

Point based immigration although new for Mexico has been used for many years in other countries most notably by Canada and Australia. Applicants acquire points for meeting certain criteria, for example.

See a Canadian example here

Education
Degree in certain fields would be worth certain points
(The more desirable the degree the more points)

Be able to speak local / national languages

Having family members that are citizens

Being a certain age

Etc

YucaLandia

May 26, 2011, 11:59 AM

Post #15 of 77 (22191 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
After plowing through 25 pages of legalese, Yucalandia offers the following small tweaks to the posts above:

============================================

No more FM2s or FM3s, no more stand-alone Non-Inmigrante & Inmigrante categories, and there is a tweaked Inmigrado category.
Tourists and other Visitors descriptions have not changed much.

Instead of the old FM2s & FM3s, there are 4 new categories:
"Visitante": 6 Types: Non-Working Visitors (tourist), Working Visitors, and Visitors for Adoptions, Humanitarian, etc. 180 day limit. See Chapter 2, Article 52, Items I - VI of the Law.for descriptions of all 6 types.

"Residente Temporal": Covers the old "No Inmigrante" and "Inmigrante", 4 year limit per visa, Work Permit possible, Leave and Re-enter as many times as desired.
See Chapter 2, Article 52, Item VII

"Residente Temporal Estudiante": Covers Student Studies, Research, Training, including working on university degrees.
See Chapter 2, Article 52, Item VIII

"Residente Permanente": 1 Type: Similar to the old "Inmigrado" status, allows indefinite stays and includes the right to work, come and go as you want.
See Chapter 2, Article 52, Item IX

Notes:
Permanent residency can be granted after just 4 years of temporary residency.

Permanent residency can also be granted after 2 years of marriage or common law relationship with Mexican citizen.
Article 55, Item II

Permanent residency can also be granted to concubines after 2 years of Mexican bliss.
Article 55, Item III

Permanent residency can be awarded with less than 4 years of residency, if the applicant qualifies under the new Points System. Article 57

There will be new ID cards, called "Tarjeta de Residencia" (as "Temporal" or "Permanente").
Article 28, Item XXVIII

============================================
These points are the basic guts of the post, but there's more on the page at http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...ation-law-published/
steve
-
edited to remove an error - bit by bit, we're getting to a good temporary product, until the Regulacion is promulgated.
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 26, 2011, 2:07 PM)

rockydog85251

May 26, 2011, 12:09 PM

Post #16 of 77 (22180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
My husband is due to get his former FM3 renewed in a couple of weeks........any idea of how soon they might start implementing the new law!

Thx.
Willie

Casa

May 26, 2011, 12:46 PM

Post #17 of 77 (22150 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Both Permanent and Temporary Residents with the green card must check in the INM within 30 days of re-entering Mexico.
Article 59

I think maybe there is a misunderstanding.

1. Nothing to do with green cards (from the US)
2. There is no “checking in” with INM upon re-entering for Mexican residency card holders (Tarjeta de Residencia)
3. “Check” in is for first time card applicants

Art 59 basically states that one has 30 days to go to INM and (tramitar) process the request for the card Trajeta de Residencia. (Similar to the current FMM holders that want to get a no inmigrante or inmigrante card) The new card will be good for the whole stay.

Also outlines a different process for Refugees and asylum seekers.

Also mentions that the still unwritten “Reglamento de la Ley de Migracion” will outline the procedures and requirements for issuance of the cards.

One does not have to “check in” within 30 days of every time one reenters the country once one has the card. The only check in would be the regular processing at the port of entry.

Casa

May 26, 2011, 1:01 PM

Post #18 of 77 (22146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply

In Reply To

My husband is due to get his former FM3 renewed in a couple of weeks........any idea of how soon they might start implementing the new law!

No idea, but I do not think it would be before at least a couple of months.

YucaLandia

May 26, 2011, 1:20 PM

Post #19 of 77 (22135 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Casa,
You're exactly right. We've been dealing with US Permanent Resident card issues for my wife, so, Residencia Permanente = green card in my parlance.

I've edited the previous post to reflect your corrections (to allow future readers to not have to stumble over my mistake).
THANKS!
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff

Rolly

May 26, 2011, 1:23 PM

Post #20 of 77 (22135 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'll bet it will be much longer -- maybe a year. There are regs to write, forms and webpages to develop, and INM staff to train.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

May 26, 2011, 6:30 PM

Post #21 of 77 (22014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
Gringal,
Did you find your answer yet?

Yucalandia reports:
Mexico will also introduce a new Points System for permanent resident applicants who would like to be granted residency before the standard 4 year temporary residency requirements. The Points can be awarded based on level of education, work experience, skills in areas related to the development of science and technology, international surveys, and the skills to develop activities that are required by Mexico.
Article 57, Item II.

steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff

chinagringo

May 26, 2011, 6:44 PM

Post #22 of 77 (22000 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Since Casa provided an example of the Canadian points system, I went to that site and concluded that it was oriented towards those that could work and contribute to the Canadian society. It would seem to this uneducated "boob" that Mexico would have to come up with two very different points systems in order to attract not only those that may be able to contribute and then another for the "Gringo retiree", who might contribute in a far different manner. I cannot see a "one size fits all points system" working!

Of course, it is all pure speculation at this point in time!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tashby

May 26, 2011, 7:36 PM

Post #23 of 77 (21967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply

It would seem to this uneducated "boob" that Mexico would have to come up with two very different points systems in order to attract not only those that may be able to contribute and then another for the "Gringo retiree"

Check your premise. I don't think the Mexican government would re-write immigration legislation with such a small and unimportant constituency in mind.

If "retired Gringos" matter at all, it's only in our ghettos, not on a national level. Take the blinders off.

Reefhound

May 26, 2011, 7:56 PM

Post #24 of 77 (21954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
"Check your premise. I don't think the Mexican government would re-write immigration legislation with such a small and unimportant constituency in mind."

I don't think he said that Mexico would do that, just that it would seem necessary IF they wanted a point system to attract ex-pats. If the ex-pat scene is really so insignificant then one possible outcome is that the point system will have no relevance to ex-pats.

On the other hand, I think Mexico would benefit in many ways from an improved public image in the U.S. and I can't think of any group that makes better ambassadors on behalf of Mexico than ex-pats. Is there anyone here that has not repeatedly countered negative stereotypes and misperceptions to other Americans?

chinagringo

May 26, 2011, 8:10 PM

Post #25 of 77 (21941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] New Immigration law now in effect for Mexico

| Private Reply
Depending on which figures that you choose to read and believe, I would guess that this isn't part of the economic base that Mexico would choose to ignore! Between developments catering to the Gringo retiree and certain select areas of Mexico, I don't think it is debatable that this segment of the residents supports a somewhat unique economy in each. Look around and see the communities that are in the dumpster as a direct result of the change in Gringo attitudes. We all see posts where places like Panama, Belize and other countries have a system for attracting the Gringo retiree. Mexico is almost forced to take a more proactive approach to continue to attract retirees from NOB.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4