Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Casa

May 17, 2011, 5:12 PM

Post #1 of 10 (5370 views)

Shortcut

Planned Police Harassment in Guadalajara.

Can't Post | Private Reply
From the Milenio

"Denuncian plan de “limpieza social” del Centro para Juegos

Sacar del primer cuadro a homosexuales, prostitutas e indigentes, así como reprimir manifestaciones de afecto gay, es parte de estrategia que el ayuntamiento tapatío presentó ante organizaciones civiles."

Reported plan of "social cleansing" of the downtown Guadalajara for Pan American Games

Removal of homosexuals, prostitutes and homeless, and squashing gay displays of affection, are all part of strategy the Guadalajara City Council presented to civil organizations.

wearechange

May 18, 2011, 9:51 AM

Post #2 of 10 (5299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Planned Police Harassment in Guadalajara.

Mmm...no mention of drug dealing and the cartels. Bad time to be gay right time to be a narco.

esperanza

May 18, 2011, 4:22 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5251 views)

Shortcut

What an interesting juxtaposition of events: last night (Tuesday May 17), Canal 22 presented a really, really well done program about sexual diversity in Mexico. People were interviewed in Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Morelia. Of the three, Guadalajara is considered to be the most gay-friendly. The city has a large number of gay bars, gay theater, gay restaurants, gay community organizations, and a large and very fun annual Gay Pride parade and festival, etc.--more organizations, actually, than in Mexico City and certainly more than there are in Morelia, although a highly political gay organization does exist in Michoacán's capital city.

Surely the Guadalajara City Council knows that there are gay athletes (some of whom will undoubtedly be in town for the Panamerican Games) and gay tourists (ya think?). But golly gee, let's clean up downtown so none of "those people" and no straight people will think there are gays actually living in Guadalajara!

It always strikes me as so ironic that we of the LGBT community seem to take one step forward and two steps back--or perhaps two forward and one back--in this regard. *sigh*

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Casa

May 19, 2011, 12:11 AM

Post #4 of 10 (5215 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Planned Police Harassment in Guadalajara.

Wow, I really wish I could have seen that documentary…..

Maybe it’s just a case of the grass being greener (or of me living in GDL and having to go to DF to get married) but I always feel like Mexico City is so much more open and free than the provincial rancho grande that is Guadalajara.

Last evening I went to the March against Homophobia in GDL, It was really sad there were maybe 100 people there, that was it. A few people gave some speeches. Milenio News vid here http://bcove.me/drtap0hc

There was a recent ANTI Gay march in GDL last weekend that had more participants then the recent march for peace in Guadalajara…..(read the link above, it is really something else…. One of the spokes people for the organization behind the march actually works for …. you guessed it the Jalisco State Human Rights Commission! The state authority in charge of protecting human rights....

Milenio : GDL, capital de la homofobia

And this from CNN ….

http://mexico.cnn.com/...-homofobia-en-mexico
Mientras que en el mundo cada 17 de mayo se celebra el Día Internacional contra la Homofobia, en México solamente en la Ciudad de México se conmemora así, mientras que en el país a nivel oficial se celebra el Día nacional por la tolerancia y el respeto.
Mientras que en Ciudad de México las personas gays, lesbianas, bisexuales, transgénero son reconocidas como ciudadanos con plenos derechos, en estados como Jalisco, Baja California, Yucatán y en el Estado de México las leyes las ignoran o discriminan explícitamente, las autoridades archivan los crímenes por tratarse de asuntos “pasionales” y hasta “asquito” le dan a gobernadores. (Yes the wonderful PAN Governor of Jalisco former Mayor of GDL Emilio Marquez said that at a large international forum. Give me Marcelo Ebrard any day! )

Surely the Guadalajara City Council knows that there are gay athletes (some of whom will undoubtedly be in town for the Panamerican Games) and gay tourists (ya think?).

Gay Athletes never, they don’t think gay men can do sports, Lesbians maybe. Gay tourists are bad (unless they are restricted to a beach in PV and spend a lot of CASH). Just ask the church, they said same gender marriage and adoption does more harm than narcotrafico. (I wonder how that philosophy is working out for them, I have not seen too many reports on hundreds of dead bodies found in same gender marriage pits.)

Now don’t get me wrong there are lots of places worse than Guadalajara……. But are there any empty apartments in your building en DF?…… I thought Guadalajara would get better but it seems to have only gotten worse since I have lived here.

Reefhound

May 19, 2011, 2:00 PM

Post #5 of 10 (5163 views)

Shortcut

Speaking of gay athletes, Charles Barkley recently had a few words to say about this.

""First of all, society discriminates against gay people," Barkley said. "They always try to make it like jocks discriminate against gay people. I've been a big proponent of gay marriage for a long time, because as a black person, I can't be in for any form of discrimination at all."

"It bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say: 'Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.' First of all, quit telling me what I think. I'd rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can't play," Barkley said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/...ews/story?id=6563128

T

May 19, 2011, 2:01 PM

Post #6 of 10 (5161 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza,

Thank you for your most articulate thoughts, as they replicate mine. We of the LGBT community should not sit idly by and allow this nonsense to happen. Folks do not have a clue how many of the athletes that are coming for the Games are a part of our community. I have a newfound respect for you, now that you have cleared the air, as have I. You and I sit on a bully pulpit, albeit a very small one, but we represent thousands of others who do not have the ability to access or standup for human rights. I applaud your comments. Over and definitely OUT. T

judithnpups

May 19, 2011, 3:17 PM

Post #7 of 10 (5144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Planned Police Harassment in Guadalajara.

Courage sets us free! Thanks to all of the proud LGBT community here on Mexconnect.
Judith in the DF (formerly in Morelia)

chicois8

May 19, 2011, 4:09 PM

Post #8 of 10 (5130 views)

Shortcut

Casa, just remember:

Foreigners Cannot Engage in Political Activity
The Mexican Constitution states very clearly that "Foreigners shall not in any way involve themselves in the political matters of the country" This is emphatically interpreted to mean that foreigners do not have the right to vote, run for public office, or participate in any political event, rally or demonstration. Additionally, foreigners should stay away from all political activity including any kind of demonstration or protest even if you think it is seemingly on-political. Engaging in these kinds of activities is a good way to be asked to leave the country.

In Reply To
Wow, I really wish I could have seen that documentary…..

Maybe it’s just a case of the grass being greener (or of me living in GDL and having to go to DF to get married) but I always feel like Mexico City is so much more open and free than the provincial rancho grande that is Guadalajara.

Last evening I went to the March against Homophobia in GDL, It was really sad there were maybe 100 people there, that was it. A few people gave some speeches. Milenio News vid here http://bcove.me/drtap0hc
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

esperanza

May 19, 2011, 4:27 PM

Post #9 of 10 (5120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Planned Police Harassment in Guadalajara.

Casa, what chicois8 says is unfortunately true and applies to gay demonstrations as well as Guadalajara's Gay Pride march, etc. Of course it also applies to anti-gay events--not that we would go to one. Any of the gay events are considered to be political. Err on the side of caution, please. We need you here.

I waited until I became a Mexican citizen before participating in any of these events. Even now, a close Mexican friend who is a gay activist says I need to be cautious; apparently citizenship can be revoked if a naturalized citizen is perceived to be an undesirable. The most recent parade that got me out on the street was the annual Mexico City lesbian march. It was so exhilarating to be part of the parade from the Zócalo to Bellas Artes, when I got tired and had to drop out. The march continued to the Monumento a la Revolución, complete with a big party at the site.

If an apartment opens up in this building I'll let you know!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

wearechange

May 24, 2011, 12:48 PM

Post #10 of 10 (4933 views)

Shortcut

Years ago my pastor did a study series on homosexuality and the Bible. It was very thorough and went into the original languages. The objective conclusion was that there was no condemnation of homosexuality biblically speaking. Some verses were close but no cigar. About half of the church members bolted before the series even ended.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4