Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chicois8

Feb 14, 2012, 4:45 PM

Post #26 of 43 (9625 views)

Shortcut

Re: [michoacan] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am finding I get 30 MPG in California with a 2011 Subaru Outback and when I come to Mexico I get up to 37 MPG..the car has an onboard computer for
trip information,milage left in tank and fuel usage...I guess they put all kinds crap in the California gas and thats why the milage is down in CA......Rick
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

YucaLandia

Feb 14, 2012, 6:36 PM

Post #27 of 43 (9616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

cool...
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

michoacan

Feb 21, 2012, 4:41 PM

Post #28 of 43 (9528 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

A fellow I reached at Chevron tech support claimed the two Chevron additives contained the same formula. He also went on to say that adding a bottle to 16 gallons of gasoline just as the directions on the bottle suggests, will make a tank of fuel have 16 times more techron than Chevron pump fuel. On a trip to Acapulco my little car got horrible mileage, 19 mpg, shuddering and missing. After 20 miles with doped gasoline the jerking stopped and on the way home the mileage went back to normal 26 mpg. It dropped to 19 for almost a thousand miles. It's nice saving 20% on fuel. My Mitsubishi 3.0 supposedly is notorious for doing this. Nice to find Techron at Costco in Mexico.

YucaLandia

Apr 17, 2012, 12:06 PM

Post #29 of 43 (9188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

Ouch, just bought gas this morning at $10.09 pesos per liter of Magna.
This converts to $2.92 USD per gallon at xe.com's $13.07 Pesos per USD.
Even small 10 centavo regular increases in the gasoline price squeezes some already-tight budgets.

Premium is at $10.79 pesos per liter.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Apr 17, 2012, 2:06 PM

Post #30 of 43 (9172 views)

Shortcut

Ouch???

Ouch is $3.92/gal. and I supposedly live where gas prices are about the lowest in the US.

johanson

Apr 17, 2012, 2:13 PM

Post #31 of 43 (9167 views)

Shortcut

I greatly appreciate these posts. Now if you guys would only let this forgetful minded person know a day or so before they are going to increase the cost of gasoline, I could go out and fill up before they increase the price.

I forgot. Do they follow a certain schedule? It seems like the price goes up about once per month. Is it always on the same date? I bet not :)

esperanza

Apr 19, 2012, 8:29 AM

Post #32 of 43 (9102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

Pete, the gasoline price increase has usually been on the first Saturday of any given month. Once in a while it's different.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

michoacan

Apr 20, 2012, 8:12 PM

Post #33 of 43 (9040 views)

Shortcut

Dang The Difference Is 7%!

I wonder if my little junkbox car would get 7% better gas mileage on premium? It's supposed to be ultra low sulfur gasoline (the premium I mean).

joaquinx

Apr 21, 2012, 6:26 AM

Post #34 of 43 (9018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [michoacan] Dang The Difference Is 7%!

In Reply To
I wonder if my little junkbox car would get 7% better gas mileage on premium? It's supposed to be ultra low sulfur gasoline (the premium I mean).

The only reason to use premium is if your car has a high-compression engine as the octane prevents pre-ignition. My VW Crossfox has a high-compression engine of 1600cc. It needs premium else it will diesel on after the engine is turned off.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Rolly

May 12, 2012, 10:41 AM

Post #35 of 43 (8837 views)

Shortcut

12 May to 9 June 2012
Magna $10.18 pesos per liter
Premium $10.89
Diesel $10.54

Rolly Pirate

johanson

May 12, 2012, 1:19 PM

Post #36 of 43 (8823 views)

Shortcut

Gosh the numbers keep on going up and up. But then I convert to US dollars per gallon and I don't feel so bad :)

esperanza

May 12, 2012, 2:06 PM

Post #37 of 43 (8816 views)

Shortcut

On the news last night, Pres. Calderón said he was surprised that anyone was surprised at the continuing 'gasolinazo'--the regular price increases. He went on to say that the increases would continue until regular unleaded gasoline is selling for 14 pesos the liter.

Remember that although the elections are July 1, Pres. Calderón is in office until December of this year.

RickS

May 12, 2012, 4:44 PM

Post #38 of 43 (8797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

For perspective, 14 pesos/liter comes out to about $4.07/gallon U.S. at 13 pesos/dollar. That, to me, is seemingly an astronomical figure for the rank and file Mexican populace to pay for fuel.

"....until December of this year." Of course it would take much longer than that for gas to rise from its present level to 14 pesos. Would it be reasonable to think that the new President could change the current monthly increases? If so, has this been a topic of political rhetoric?

(This post was edited by RickS on May 12, 2012, 5:45 PM)

johanson

May 12, 2012, 5:32 PM

Post #39 of 43 (8792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

Yes, darn it, $14 pesos per liter is closer to what I will be paying up North. In Seattle it's slightly higher and when in BC often it's even higher, especially on the "Big Island" where I often hang out (Vancouver Island). Oh well, my total mileage since the fall of 2000 is only 31 K in Mexico and another 30 K miles up north. Gosh over the last 11.8 years that works out to only (31K+30K)/11.8 or 5,170 miles (almost 8,300 Km) per year .

What's most embarrassing is that while the car up north does not have one dent, the car down south which is the same model of the same year (2001 Ford Explorer Sport) has more dents and scratches then one could imagine and 98% of those bumps and scratches are my fault.

RickS

May 12, 2012, 5:47 PM

Post #40 of 43 (8784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

Pete, is this a Tequila problem or is it just the narrow streets and high curbs? ;>)

johanson

May 12, 2012, 7:31 PM

Post #41 of 43 (8766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

I love your question Rick. The problem is, I keep on driving as if I were in the US. You know the streets are more narrow here etc. :) I have no serious dents, but just all kinds of small ones from trying to squeeze in between two cars etc, when trying to drive home on the back streets.

I have the same problem when walking. I used to always look straight ahead and not below where I was walking thinking that like in the US, everything was smooth.

I love Mexico. It's taking longer than normal to adjust :)

esperanza

May 13, 2012, 7:25 AM

Post #42 of 43 (8733 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

If you recall, when Pres. Calderón started raising gasoline prices each month, he said that he would continue to raise the price until it was on a par with the price of gasoline world-wide.

And yes, he only has 6.5 months remaining in office. Up until now, the price raises have been in centavos each month. If he truly expects to reach a price of 14 pesos/liter before he leaves office, he could do it easily--just up the ante each month by less than a peso.

Rolly

Aug 15, 2012, 8:57 AM

Post #43 of 43 (7959 views)

Shortcut

Re: It's that time of the month -- Gasoline prices go up

11 August to 8 September
Magna $10.45 pesos per liter
Premium $11.01
Diesel $10.81

Rolly Pirate