Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

esperanza

May 13, 2011, 5:47 AM

Post #26 of 39 (3852 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barontjk] POLICE HARASSMENT IN GUADALAJARA?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm sorry, barontjk, I really thought you understood what the latest police excitement is: there is a big push to get vehicles out of circulation that have foreign license plates AND either missing or expired temporary vehicle import stickers. I'm sure you already know that those vehicles are called chocolates. There are currently a couple of threads about this situation on the Mexconnect forums.

In Michoacán (in the area in and around Morelia), about 500 such vehicles--all with USA license plates--had been impounded as of mid-April. Many of those are alleged to have been stolen or involved in criminal activity. Some expatriates living in or visiting Morelia and/or Pátzcuaro have been stopped and questioned about the status of their temporary import stickers, but as far as I know none of their vehicles have been impounded. It seems to me that Jalisco is attempting action similar to that of Michoacán.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

barontjk

May 13, 2011, 6:05 AM

Post #27 of 39 (3847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] POLICE HARASSMENT IN GUADALAJARA?

Esperanza,
This is the first I'm hearing of the term chocolates, but another person on here has mentioned the trouble with stolen vehicles out of America. Thank you again for your information. Hopefully, I'm gaining a better understanding of what is taking place. : )

chinagringo

May 13, 2011, 6:26 AM

Post #28 of 39 (3846 views)

Shortcut

Some time back, INFORMADOR had an article about "chocolates" in which they speculated that something like 30 to 40% of the vehicles on the streets of Guadalajara fell into this category. Personally, I would guess that this is less about targeting Americans and more about identifying vehicles that either fall into this category or vehicles that have been stolen. With the proliferation of tinted vehicle windows, it is very difficult to even see into the vehicles to identify drivers or passengers except from the very front. Vehicles with foreign plate or plates and vehicles without plates are probably most suspect and therefore receiving added scrutiny.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbviajero

May 13, 2011, 8:34 AM

Post #29 of 39 (3832 views)

Shortcut

I've been driving a 2005 tacoma with nob plates every day for 6 years in gdl,been pulled over 4 times by state,municipal and transito,the truck was searched twice,one time I was going the wrong way on a oneway street the cop actually gave me directions to where I was going.I have never gotten a ticket or been asked for bribe and they have always been polite.Thats been my experience.
Regards
Chris

barontjk

May 13, 2011, 8:43 AM

Post #30 of 39 (3823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] POLICE HARASSMENT IN GUADALAJARA?

A big "thank you" to everyone who is repyling, along with an apology to Reefhound if I missunderstood your sentiment.

Respectfully,
Tom

Rolly

May 13, 2011, 9:51 AM

Post #31 of 39 (3811 views)

Shortcut

The same thing has been happening for several weeks in my area. Every time I go to Torreón, I see several cars and pickups pulled over at the bridge between Gómez Palacio and Torreón.

Rolly Pirate

Reefhound

May 13, 2011, 12:22 PM

Post #32 of 39 (3790 views)

Shortcut

esperanza has it right, my post was implying, if anything, that the "reality" of what some of you are reporting is quite different than how it is "supposed to be" which some posters often tell us with absolute certainty. My reply has always been along the lines of "regardless of what the law says on paper, you must comply with the officer" or "you can beat the rap but not the ride".

I think it's all of our best interests that the reality on the street conforms to the documented legal process, and the first step in that is identifying where it does not, so I am all for people reporting and comparing their experiences.

wearechange

May 13, 2011, 12:50 PM

Post #33 of 39 (3784 views)

Shortcut

Here´s what you need to to in order to avoid police harassment:

1- Buy a late model luxury SUV with tinted windows.
2- Dress like you don´t fit your vehicle.
3- Have 3 cell phones and a Nextel radio on your person.
4- Park in no parking zones and act like you don´t give a damn.
5- Always travel in groups of four.
6- Just in case have an AK-47 under your seat but sticking out enough so the cop can see it when he pull you over.

Guaranteed to work in the State of Michoacan. Try it at your own risk in Jalisco.

barontjk

May 13, 2011, 12:57 PM

Post #34 of 39 (3779 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] POLICE HARASSMENT IN GUADALAJARA?

Wearechange,
:o)

chinagringo

May 13, 2011, 1:01 PM

Post #35 of 39 (3778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] POLICE HARASSMENT IN GUADALAJARA?

I believe that #1 should be: steal rather than buy.
And a possible #7: make sure that you don't have license plates in order to intimidate the locals.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

wearechange

May 13, 2011, 4:43 PM

Post #36 of 39 (3761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] POLICE HARASSMENT IN GUADALAJARA?

@chinagringo: good point, lol!

johang

May 13, 2011, 8:30 PM

Post #37 of 39 (3737 views)

Shortcut

I have never been pulled over in GDJ before but on my most recent trip last month I was. I have Nayarit plates on an older model pickup. They were professional and decided quite quickly I did not match what they were looking for. They seemed surprised that I spoke Spanish and was in the company of a Mexicana. They did not ask for registration. I think they were actual federales.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeño.

chinagringo

May 17, 2011, 6:15 AM

Post #38 of 39 (3622 views)

Shortcut

From INFORMADOR, apparently Jalisco is revising the qualifications and process to obtain a driver's license:
"In Jalisco, a driver's license can not be seen as a right but a privilege earned through awareness, understanding how important and serious it is to get behind the wheel," said the official, recalling Jalisco that is part of the "Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020".

http://www.informador.com.mx/...ncia-de-conducir.htm
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

May 17, 2011, 10:54 AM

Post #39 of 39 (3585 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] POLICE HARASSMENT IN GUADALAJARA?

Input from Queretaro,

I have also recently been pulled over in my recent model z(Kentucky Plated) Tahoe by the federal police on hwy 120 (headed towards Morelia) leaving the 57 autopista between Mexico city and C.D. Queretaro. It so happens my home is on this hwy 120 and recently there has bee an increase in federal and state police check points. This is also incurring in San Juan del Rio. All have been very polite and professional and once they have established the permit and my FM 2 is correct I am allowed to pass with a polite thank you.

Since I have been in Texas for the past three and a half months for medical attention I have seen one (local) NBC channel 5 report where there have been more than 400 cars stolen in the Rio Grande area. They also announced that there was a large and new co operation between the Mexican authorities to try to crack down on such stolen vehicles. I would think this has probably something to do with all this crack down. Good for them. I for one am happy to see such a better enforcement.

robt65

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4