Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

jwander

May 11, 2011, 4:59 PM

Post #1 of 8 (7367 views)

Shortcut

Need thoughts about health insurance coverage

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are retiring to Mexico in August. I will be 60 and my wife younger. I guess we are too young for IMSS. I understand the low cost of most visits and tests as compared to the US and some thoughts about trying to get private medical insurance with a rather high deductible. We will be in a town about 100 miles south of Guadalajara that does have some doctors. Guzman and Colima are both within 45 minutes. We are both relatively health, today. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Rolly

May 11, 2011, 5:12 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwander] Need thoughts about health insurance coverage

You are not too young for IMSS; it's an HMO for everyone, not just old folks.
Read here for a primer on health care in México.

Rolly Pirate

Mexberry

May 11, 2011, 5:57 PM

Post #3 of 8 (7346 views)

Shortcut

We have private insurance and I would suggest that you find a broker who will help you with any claims etc( not just take your money). As we are living here full time, we decided to get a 'Mexico only' policy and we could select our deductible. Metlife Mexico issued our policy. I understand that private insurance will not cover skin cancer. Perhaps someone could correct me but that is what we were told.
Mexberry.

robt65

May 11, 2011, 6:59 PM

Post #4 of 8 (7318 views)

Shortcut

Hello jwander,

From what I have read and found out on my own here regarding Mexican Health Insurance is that a tremendous amount of the dollars spent here in Mexico on health insurance is based upon both age and pre-existing conditions. So much more strict that in the USA in many instances. not only more strict but for some pre-existing conditions you just simply cannot get it. You may wish to have any answers you receive here in these posts, pre qualify those answers as to age and pre-existing conditions. Just a thought.

robt65

chinagringo

May 11, 2011, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7298 views)

Shortcut

Jeff:
You might take a look at the following conversation:
http://www.mexconnect.com/...;;page=unread#unread

The agent mentioned in this topic is consistently mentioned as one of the best. An email or phone call to him will probably provide many of the answers you are looking for.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jrpierce

May 11, 2011, 9:03 PM

Post #6 of 8 (7277 views)

Shortcut

For private insurance, Jeff, if you follow the link Chinagringo suggested above, you will find me praising the agent Jesús Tejeda discussed there. He is one of the best I have met, in or out of Mexico. He has my health, auto and homeowners insurance, all through AXA.

As US citizens now living full time in Mexico, my wife and I have a policy that provides full coverage in Mexico. When we go back to the US for visits, we obtain travel insurance.

My wife's and my experience with IMMS has been mixed. Talking with friends in other parts of Mexico, some are crazy about IMMS, and others can't stand it. It may vary with the quality of the nearest IMMS clinic/hospital where you will receive care. Rolly's excellent discussion on health care (see link in his message above) covers all this.

Robt65 is correct that in Mexico, age and pre-existing conditions can be a big issue in getting coverage either privately or through IMMS. It sounds as though you are pursuing this just in time. As you get further into your 60's, it can become more difficult. I suggest you speak with Jesús or another experienced agent soon after arriving in Mexico.

Jim

jwander

May 12, 2011, 5:37 PM

Post #7 of 8 (7187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Need thoughts about health insurance coverage

Thanks to all the good people who responded to my question. I hope we all find the coverage we need or want. Further, I hope none of us ever have to use it.

Jeff

robt65

May 12, 2011, 5:50 PM

Post #8 of 8 (7183 views)

Shortcut

Hi Jeff,

Are either you or your spouse a military veteran?

robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4