Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gringal

May 9, 2011, 4:35 PM

Post #1 of 27 (4002 views)

Shortcut

IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Can't Post | Private Reply
It's May, it's hot and we have something more common than dengue fever going around: Mean spirited comments. They seem to originate from a desire to prove "one-uppedness" over posters who are either less sophisticated or don't agree with our personal tastes. Particularly noticeable in restaurant matters. I hope this isn't catching.

Everybody has his/her favorite restaurants. Good thing, or we'd all be trying to crowd into the same place.

What's the problem with just telling the rest of us where you had a good meal without the sniping?
If someone says they liked the ...............at ............fine, but how about just saying what's good about it and whether you'd go back for more. If you got food poisoning somewhere.........that's useful, too, of course.

In all this, how about bearing in mind that this is not the BIG CITY and if it were, we'd be paying a lot more to dine out.
This is a backwater of the universe here at Lakeside. Top chefs are not going to be stampeding here for low pay, thrifty diners, scathing reviews or downright nitpicking. How about appreciating that we do have some choices?

If it's really all that unacceptable.................the roads go north as well as south, don't they? I imagine some of the better establishments NOB would be delighted to seat you at their best table in this economy. You could probably walk in to the French Laundry right now without waiting months for a reservation.

I feel much better now.

Axixic

May 9, 2011, 4:38 PM

Post #2 of 27 (3986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Right on!

Here, here and ditto.

chinagringo

May 9, 2011, 4:50 PM

Post #3 of 27 (3980 views)

Shortcut

As one whom you may be referring to, I still question why a particular restaurant critic must continuously regurgitate similar restaurant reviews when apparently nothing has changed? I and many others got the message the first time and don't require repeated "verbal waterboarding".

"Verbal waterboarding can cause severe pain, brain damage from ingesting verbal diarrhea and lasting psychological damage."
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Gringal

May 9, 2011, 4:53 PM

Post #4 of 27 (3980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

This isn't about you, CG.

For one thing, however, one of these days, poor John will just get tired of doing his restaurant thing and give it up altogether. Some will celebrate; others will wish he's kept it up. Meanwhile, why not just ignore him and his lists? He tries.

RickS

May 9, 2011, 7:11 PM

Post #5 of 27 (3942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Neil, while I don't live at Lakeside (as you know) John's restaurant posts aren't that valuable to me but that doesn't mean that he can't post what he wishes. If we don't need or like John's posts, we just shouldn't read them. But that's just me.

johanson

May 9, 2011, 8:13 PM

Post #6 of 27 (3926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Just don't ever ask me where to eat. Most every morning I have a wonderful breakfast in Ajijic at Salvadors' for $44 pesos before tip and when possible I have a "take out" lunch at the Boston Deli on the second floor near Salvadors' where you enter the movie theater above El Toritos grocery store in Ajijic for $50 pesos, and there is enough food for both lunch and dinner.

However I did follow Johns' advice about the Hole In One Restaurant and had a great lunch and more important a very strong Bacardi and diet coke drink.

Thanks John for your recommendations, although, honestly, I'm too low class (you know like Pedro), to appreciate a great restaurant.

don pedro

May 10, 2011, 5:12 AM

Post #7 of 27 (3888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

In Reply To
Just don't ever ask me where to eat. Most every morning I have a wonderful breakfast in Ajijic at Salvadors' for $44 pesos before tip and when possible I have a "take out" lunch at the Boston Deli on the second floor near Salvadors' where you enter the movie theater above El Toritos grocery store in Ajijic for $50 pesos, and there is enough food for both lunch and dinner.

However I did follow Johns' advice about the Hole In One Restaurant and had a great lunch and more important a very strong Bacardi and diet coke drink.

Thanks John for your recommendations, although, honestly, I'm too low class (you know like Pedro), to appreciate a great restaurant.

speak for yourself. i can outsnob anyone on eclectic restaurant dining and i am also an excellent chef. to that effect my haggis has been proclaimed among the worlds best. unfortunately because of mad cow disease i must now use pork brains to produce my famous former calf brains in red wine and mushroom sauce. the mushrooms are generally wild and hand picked by me.

http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Gringal

May 10, 2011, 8:42 AM

Post #8 of 27 (3841 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Man...........you are the ultimate FOODIE ! ROFLMAO

NEOhio1

May 10, 2011, 9:12 AM

Post #9 of 27 (3831 views)

Shortcut

Pedro, that is a great response. It made me laugh and I like that it wasn't full of snorks and jejejeje.

As for John, his reports are all the same. We read them anyway just in case he's onto something new - it could happen.

I belong to a weekly lunch group, Fridays at 12:30, but we don't pay much attention to the food. John's group must be very intent to keep track o f what they ate and paid. Good for them, we however are too busy talking and laughing and being loud to remember the food and for sucvh a good time the bill doesn't really matter that much.

I would like to see more nighttime street food reviews - that's a fun category!

(This post was edited by NEOhio1 on May 10, 2011, 9:13 AM)

Gringal

May 10, 2011, 9:28 AM

Post #10 of 27 (3823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Sounds like a fun Friday.........and although food is important, so is a good attitude, being with friends and having laughter in the air. When we take ourselves so seriously that we forget that.........we get cranky, notice all our aches and pains and next thing....we are acting like OLD CURMUDGEONS. Who needs that?

So: Eat, love, laugh and if the meal is tasty, it's a bonus.

For all those who ever tried to get anything healthier than banana pudding into a kid in a high chair.........we learned that FOOD seems to be an acquired taste.

chinagringo

May 10, 2011, 10:14 AM

Post #11 of 27 (3803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

NE Ohio1:

If you haven't seen or run across the following "street food" report:

http://eatinglocalatlakeside.blogspot.com/

Warning: This report contains information on Mexican food!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Zardoz

May 10, 2011, 12:48 PM

Post #12 of 27 (3772 views)

Shortcut

I agree people are getting grumpy or something. I can also understand not liking a certain type of
post or poster but we do have the ability and skills to ignore it right? Remember the first rule of
posting "wait an hour, reread what you wrote and 9 out of 10 times one changes things before posting"

Z

T

May 10, 2011, 1:33 PM

Post #13 of 27 (3751 views)

Shortcut

What a great post. Absolutely hysterical. Still laughing. T.

T

May 10, 2011, 1:38 PM

Post #14 of 27 (3747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Rick, agree with you 100%. I do live at lakeside and always find his posts interesting. It is just when he goes off on anyone who disagrees with him that is problematic for me. T.

T

May 10, 2011, 1:51 PM

Post #15 of 27 (3739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Great humor Pete. Have not had breakfast at Salvador's in years. No matter how I ordered my eggs, they always came out with runny whites, which I could barely gag down. Have they improved upon that in the last few years? Also, used to love Boston Deli. Her meatloaf was fantastic. Then she changed the spices and it was not to my taste. Tried it three times, but did not like it. Has that changed, also? Been close to a year since I have been there.

I eat as you do. Cheap and carryouts. Maybe we could do a low class version of one of my favorite TV shows, "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives'. It appears that both of us know where they are and frequent them. T

johanson

May 10, 2011, 2:40 PM

Post #16 of 27 (3729 views)

Shortcut

Pedro, both you and your wife have much better taste than I. Yes, Ajijic is not a big city and doesn't compare to places like Guadalajara, Seattle, Vancouver or even Millet, when it comes to good dining..

I'm a snowbird and could hardly wait to get north this year for my favorite gourmet food. Yes and it only cost about $ 65 US and I didn't even need to leave a tip. I went to Costco store #1 and filled up on "Lean Cuisine" TV dinners, fruit and vegetable plates,TV breakfasts, and of course a case of Coors Light.

The trouble is, I'm not kidding. I prefer frozen dinners to going out to eat.

Now when it comes to having great coffee, that's another matter. There, I think nothing about paying $ 4 US per a good cup of brew while chatting with friends each morning about such things as the latest apps available for your iPhone or today the latest rumors about the iPhone 5.

So I say snidly :) it's not where you eat that marks you as being high class, it's the type and make of your smart phone :) and the quality of coffee you drink. So there:)

And T, no changes at the Boston Deli. Great basic takeout food.

(This post was edited by johanson on May 10, 2011, 2:45 PM)

mkdutch

May 13, 2011, 8:39 AM

Post #17 of 27 (3557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

T, go to Salvador's for their Sunday Brunch. Besides being a great overall deal (it includes all-you-can-drink orange juice, milk, and other beverages, as well as copious amounts of fruit), there is a grill next to the buffet table. You can stay and watch your eggs being cooked, and tell her exactly when they are done to your liking. She will start to pick up your eggs early; just put out your hand and say "Poco mas"(a little more) - then she'll wait until you say "Listo" (ready). You'll get your eggs exactly the way you want them everytime...=^..^=...Buena Suerte, Dutch

T

May 13, 2011, 3:00 PM

Post #18 of 27 (3502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

Thanks Dutch,

Did not know that Salvador's had a Sunday brunch. Buffet style with an egg bar, or order off the menu? Quanto? May I suggest to you, if you have not been there,Melanie's for Sunday brunch. 85 pesos with close to 100 items, including all that you mentioned. Besides, I love Francine and the setting is overlooking the pool in Hotel Danza del Sol. I highly recommend it. Buffet, all you can eat, which for me is a lot less than in my younger years, but love Francine and the kids and families using the pool. In fact, think I will start a new topic for her. Thanks, T.

mexliving

May 21, 2011, 8:39 PM

Post #19 of 27 (3205 views)

Shortcut

i enjoy paninos . its not cheap but the quality of the food is great and the daily specials...... they are closed for may... but will open in june 1st.

i have watched enough episodes on youtube for "kitchen nightmares"

T

May 22, 2011, 2:46 PM

Post #20 of 27 (3102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

I agree with you. Several years ago, I always left Panino's hungry, but the food was great. Lupita, who is a great person and my neighbor here in Villa Nova, has increased the portions without diminshing the quality. Not the cheapest place in town, but consistent quality. Food prices are going up worldwide. Bought two avocados yesterday. 23 Pesos. I was shellshocked, as that is what I paid in the States seven years ago. A buck apiece. When I moved here that was the price for a kilo. The times are changing, but my SS is not. Getting a little worried. T

Gringal

May 22, 2011, 5:59 PM

Post #21 of 27 (3073 views)

Shortcut

On the positive side, limes used to cost 50 cents each in the states.

chinagringo

May 22, 2011, 6:39 PM

Post #22 of 27 (3067 views)

Shortcut

When things are "normal" (if there is such a thing), Mexican limes are sold 10 for $1USD at the farmer's market type stores here. Admittedly, they are a bit on the small size but the only way that one can make a decent margarita assuming that we have access to real Mexican Tequila!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

T

May 23, 2011, 1:04 PM

Post #23 of 27 (2988 views)

Shortcut

Oh great. Now, I can barely afford avocadoes nor limes. Back to beans, tortillas and rice, although tortillas have doubled in price over the last two years. I have no idea how our domestic employess can afford to live on the wages we pay them. I doubt that many of us have doubled their wages in the last two years. I still pay only 50 pesos for maid and gardener. Would love to give them a boost, but I live on SS and have not had a boost myself for three years. T

joaquinx

May 23, 2011, 2:10 PM

Post #24 of 27 (2972 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Oh great. Now, I can barely afford avocadoes nor limes. Back to beans, tortillas and rice, although tortillas have doubled in price over the last two years. I have no idea how our domestic employess can afford to live on the wages we pay them. I doubt that many of us have doubled their wages in the last two years. I still pay only 50 pesos for maid and gardener. Would love to give them a boost, but I live on SS and have not had a boost myself for three years. T

You have to stop this T, your breaking my heart. You can't even go for 60 pesos. Life is hard.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

T

May 23, 2011, 2:29 PM

Post #25 of 27 (2967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?

My tongue was in my cheek for me, but not for my three employees. And everytime we talk about raising their wages, we get bashed by others who say we will be destroying the economy. Guess it is better to let them starve. I am having a real problem with what we pay and little increase in wages and what the local economy has inflicted upon these good folks. Prices for food and prices for wages are no where near comparable. Think I need to start a separate topic. Thanks for your help T.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4