Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

T

May 6, 2011, 2:01 PM

Post #1 of 45 (6018 views)

Shortcut

Rats

| Private Reply
I have been here for six years. I have a rat infestation on my property. I see them daily and they are out in full force at night. Never have dealt with rats before. I am told there is a pellet that can be bought that they think is candy. They eat it and die. Anybody have any suggestions? To compound matters, I have a dog that spends much of her time outside. Thank you, T.

mazbook1

May 6, 2011, 2:13 PM

Post #2 of 45 (6002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Rats

| Private Reply
Be very careful if you put poison out, dogs WILL eat rat and/or mouse poison, and it kills them too.

It's too bad your dog is not a "ratter". I had a border collie that just loved it when a rat would come up out of the sewers onto my property. He thought it was a great game to kill the rat, and had a 100% record. Every rat that ventured on my property got killed! Funniest thing was that he, like Maesonna's dog, totally ignored mice.

Particularly if you have any outside drains from your property (or even inside ones on the floor), check them closely. If the protective cover is not steel or is rusted out, this is where the rats come in from. They chew right through the common chrome-plated plastic ones. Showers should have the type of protective cover that has a cup that seals the drain when it is closed. Those are somewhat of a pain-in-the-neck, but they sure work.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on May 6, 2011, 2:39 PM)

Maesonna

May 6, 2011, 2:16 PM

Post #3 of 45 (5997 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If you don't want to acquire a second dog, maybe you can temporarily borrow a dog that knows the score on rats from a neighbour or from the street. My dog (a German Shepherd mix) had never seen a rat in her life, and was never interested in hunting mice, but when she met a rat for the first time, she knew just what to do, and did it swiftly and effectively. Goodbye, rat. The rental dog might even inspire your dog.

T

May 6, 2011, 2:20 PM

Post #4 of 45 (5993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Rats

| Private Reply
Your first sentence is why I posted that I have a dog, as I know it compounds the problem.

She is a nine year old lab mix, and the best she can do at her age is muster up a good bark and then they do skitter.

The rats are not inside my home, yet. Just on the grounds. I have watched them in amazement climb the outside walls.

I doubt that I can find a solution that will not kill my dog, also. I would be willing to board my dog for a week or ten days, and visit her daily.

Just need to know the specific name of the product that kills rats and then I will clean up after they are gone and bring my dog back home. Thanks, T.

T

May 6, 2011, 2:27 PM

Post #5 of 45 (5984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Rats

| Private Reply
Thanks for your reply. My dog is too old. And there is no way I would let her mix with a street dog. I think the idea of a rental dog is cute, but realize that you meant it in jest.

I have a real problem. Would really like some realistic solutions. Thanks, T.

Bennie García

May 6, 2011, 2:47 PM

Post #6 of 45 (5971 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Get several rat traps (ratonera), the cage type with a spring loaded door. Bait them with a piece of tortilla. Check them daily and simply drop the trapped rat, cage and all, into a large bucket of water.

You won't have to deal with poison and endanger other animals.

mazbook1

May 6, 2011, 2:49 PM

Post #7 of 45 (5970 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
T, if they are coming over your wall, your neighbor(s) obviously have somewhere they are breeding. I have no idea where you live in México, but here in Mazatlán, a complaint to the ayuntamiento (city – municipio – government) about a rat problem involving neighbors gets very rapid attention. Just be certain that if they put poison on YOUR property, that you have taken the right steps to protect your dog.

arbon

May 6, 2011, 2:49 PM

Post #8 of 45 (5968 views)

Shortcut

|
from AP in 2004

A remote farming town in northwestern Mexico appears to have turned the tide against a rat infestation that threatened the corn harvest and businesses, a state health official said Monday.
Imported cats and cash bounties failed to rid Atascaderos of the prolific rodents eating their way through the settlement of about 3,000 people.

On a voluntary mission, Stephen Petren traveled from the United States to provide lessons on how to drown rats in a barrel.
Petren said he learned the trick in 1951 from his biology professor, a World War II soldier who saw the traps in action in France.
The rats are lured up a ladder to a paper-covered drum by molasses and corn for seven days. On the eighth day the top rung of the ladder is removed and the rats are forced to jump onto the drum. But since a cross was cut through the thick parchment-type paper on the final day, the rats fall into the drum of water where they drown.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

T

May 6, 2011, 3:18 PM

Post #9 of 45 (5959 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Rats

| Private Reply
Bennie,

How do I keep my dog from going for the tortilla and getting her neck snapped? I have a Mexican dog and she loves tortillas, as do I. Corn only. Thanks, T.

T

May 6, 2011, 3:27 PM

Post #10 of 45 (5952 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I live in Villa Nova, which is a fracc in west Ajijic and I front on a couple of acres of vacant land, and that is where they are coming from over the wall from the field. I have great neighbors and they are totally innocent. Thanks, T

PS If anyone knows if there is a governmental agency in Chapala that will tackle and help me with the rat problem, please let me know. Thanks for the heads up Maz. T.

Maesonna

May 6, 2011, 3:31 PM

Post #11 of 45 (5948 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I wasn’t entirely joking about borrowing a dog from a neighbour. It’s reasonable not to want to expose the old girl to a random street dog, but you might have a neighbour who could lend you their dog.

The barrel trap is a good idea, though. We used it successfully on a small scale inside the house when the hamster got loose from its cage (to capture it safely, not drown it, of course in our case).

T

May 6, 2011, 3:46 PM

Post #12 of 45 (5932 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I only wish I was dealing with hampsters. T.

mazbook1

May 6, 2011, 3:51 PM

Post #13 of 45 (5932 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
T, If the rats are definitely coming in from the field (sounds odd to me, as rats basically are not that sort of animal like field mice). I would rather think they are coming out of an open sewer somewhere nearby and invading your property trying to find something to eat.

Assuming that your old dog can't get to the outside of your wall, just put poison along the outside of the wall and the dog will be perfectly safe. But if it's an open sewer or a missing manhole cover or whatever, they will keep coming and keep coming until the Chapala ayuntamiento cures the real problem.

For goodness sake, don't even try to poison them inside your wall. Use traps! And they don't have to be live traps, either. I know that I have seen rat traps that look just like a giant, oversize mouse trap for sale here in México.

chicois8

May 6, 2011, 4:03 PM

Post #14 of 45 (5920 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
T, In your original post you wrote:
" I am told there is a pellet that can be bought that they think is candy."

Maybe you could visit your local Wal-Mart and buy a pellet rifle, the hire a local kid to take care of your problem...
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

T

May 6, 2011, 4:12 PM

Post #15 of 45 (5915 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There are no open sewers or drains anywhere near my propertyand I would never spread poison, which will kill my dog inside the walls. The traps do not sound workable with the dog, either. What I really want to know is the name of the pellets that rats love and then die and where to get them. thanks, T

I do not know what ayuntamiento is nor do I know how to contact them in Chapala. any help would be appreciated. T

Kimpatsu Hekigan

May 6, 2011, 4:19 PM

Post #16 of 45 (5910 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Don't forget to make sure your dog has been vaccinated against leptospirosis, a bacterial disease spread by rodent urine (a.k.a., "rat fever").

It's a serious problem in pets and domestic livestock around the world and has become a cause of concern in some unlikely places. At the end of February, two dogs died from leptospirosis in Seattle(!). One of the pets for sure had been observed playing with a dead rat.

It's also a problem for humans if contracted. Heavy-duty antibiotics for as long as a year...

More info from the U.S. CDC at this link:

Prevention of Leptospirosis in Pets

FWIW,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings..."

T

May 6, 2011, 4:24 PM

Post #17 of 45 (5906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Rats

| Private Reply
Thanks. Never occurred to me. Will take my black baby in tomorrow for all of her shots. She is even over due for rabies. thanks for the wake up call. T.

Vichil

May 6, 2011, 4:44 PM

Post #18 of 45 (5898 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The pellets are rat poison and kill everything down the food chain inside and ouside your walls. Use traps, your dog cannot get in a trap.
Pellets and other poisons o not kill rats on the spot and the rats go and die in your garden, other people´s gardens and on the street. Whatever animal comes into contact with the dead rat will be poison.

(This post was edited by Vichil on May 6, 2011, 6:49 PM)

chinagringo

May 6, 2011, 4:47 PM

Post #19 of 45 (5896 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Come on folks, this is another of the concocted stories to draw attention to 'T'. No one person can actually have this many traumas.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Vichil

May 6, 2011, 4:56 PM

Post #20 of 45 (5892 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Great advice ! Put poison outside the wall so other people ´s dogs die . We are having a rash of dog poisonings in Ajijic and all we need is some dummy to put poison outside his walls.

mazbook1

May 6, 2011, 5:01 PM

Post #21 of 45 (5889 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
T, the ayuntamiento is the government of the municipio de Chapala. They are normally headquartered in the el Palacio Municipal (sometimes called la Presidencia) or "city hall" in whatever town is the "county seat", in this case Chapala. It's also usually where the office is that issues the annual bill for predial - or property tax. The kind of help/service you need is just one of the things paid for by the predial you pay. In most municipios, el Palacio will be right on one side of the zócalo or main plaza.

Folks who live here need to KNOW these things!

tashby

May 6, 2011, 5:46 PM

Post #22 of 45 (5878 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
He lives in a fraccionamiento. With rats. Not sure if the folks in Chapala will care.

T, maybe you could train the rats to chew the limbs off the neighbor's tree that are hanging over your swimming pool?

Or just move to a different house. Your life sounds too difficult.

bournemouth

May 6, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #23 of 45 (5865 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Mazbook - the "rats" we get here are somewhat like mice on steroids - not Norway rats or things like that. We used to have a minor problem with them coming in from vacant land next door but the cats took care of them - except I wasn't too happy when they brought them into the house and dropped them off alive. However, I have to say we saw one of our cats staggering back over the wall with a huge rat he could hardly drag - we removed it!

mazbook1

May 6, 2011, 6:32 PM

Post #24 of 45 (5858 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Rats

| Private Reply
bournemouth, That's the same as the ones that come up out of the sewers in Mazatlán. Very small, compared to the big Norway rats. About the same size más o menos as the semi-domesticated laboratory rats often sold as pets. Just as you say, "like mice on steroids" until you get a whiff of that awful, trademark rat smell. (I've NEVER understood how anyone could stand the stench of having one as a pet.)

Bennie García

May 6, 2011, 6:34 PM

Post #25 of 45 (5858 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Bennie,

How do I keep my dog from going for the tortilla and getting her neck snapped? I have a Mexican dog and she loves tortillas, as do I. Corn only. Thanks, T.

The CAGE type of trap, dude, not the BAR type of trap. The dog can't get to the bait.

You seem to over complicate just about everything.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4