Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

tnp123me

May 4, 2011, 12:39 PM

Post #1 of 3 (4363 views)

Shortcut

Living in Tijuana with your dog?? Safe??

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be bringing my dog with me to the beach area of Tijuana. While looking for rentals, I saw stray dogs periodically, but not like I have seen in many cities.

Are stray dogs a problem in Baja?
Are there trails and parks to take my dog to similar to what you would find in San Diego?

Any dog lovers who would like to share their stories or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dreamer Blue

May 5, 2011, 7:38 AM

Post #2 of 3 (4322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tnp123me] Living in Tijuana with your dog?? Safe??

Yes, stray dogs are a problem in Baja - in fact all over Mexico. I can't speak about Tijuana specifically but in southern Baja there are many, many, many stray dogs. Some of us Gringos start or support animal rescue or spay and neuter programs to try and ease that problem. I have seen packs of strays roaming the streets and beaches in La Paz, had strays attack my dog on a beach north of Mulege, seen stray dogs fighting over a bitch in heat in Todos Santos and walked past injured or sick dogs in pretty well every city and town I have been in. It doesn't ruin Mexico for me but it is an issue.

As for parks, there are town squares in every community but few if any major parks. You can go to beaches and let your dog run but if these are public beaches, other folks may have an issue with it. If you stop outside town, there are some things to be careful of. You can't let your dog run off leash. First, it will probably end up with some - actually many - cactus thorns stuck in paws and skin and they can be very difficult and painful to remove. Second, especially near beaches, packs of coyotes often lure domestic dogs out to play and then kill them. Your best bet is to take both a long and a short leash with you and be prepared to walk your dog wherever you are. That way you get to see and enjoy the place too.

mes1952

Jun 13, 2011, 8:48 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tnp123me] Living in Tijuana with your dog?? Safe??

The first thing you need to realize is that Mexico is not the U.S. so you cannot apply the same standards (otherwise you will not be happy living in Mexico). There are less regulations/restrictions on everything including pets which is one reason many people move here.
I suggest you first visit Tijuana for a month or so and see if it is really for you. Many Americans make the mistake of moving to Mexico without doing a lot of prior research only to discover it is not for them.
Any area, including the U.S., has it's good and bad neighborhoods so that is just as important in Mexico. I live in a regular Mexican neighborhood and many tenants have pets (including myself) and we have had no problems co-existing with the street dogs. So, again, do your research before making the decision to move and you will be much happier.
Mary Ellen

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jun 13, 2011, 7:36 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4