Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

LKM

May 2, 2011, 7:55 AM

Post #1 of 3 (13402 views)

Shortcut

Guanajuato - Study Abroad at the University

Can't Post | Private Reply
With the latest increased security alerts from the U.S. Department of State, I am wondering about my son's Study Abroad program planned for Fall Term 2011 at the Universidad de Guanajuato. Although I know the U.S. universities will be cautious about the safety of their students in such programs, and will absolutely cancel their support of them if concerns progress, I do not know enough about the high-alert areas to understand whether their adjacencies to the state of Guanajuato make the cities of Guanajuato and Leon more susceptible to encroaching problems or not. Any insight on the situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

esperanza

May 2, 2011, 8:43 AM

Post #2 of 3 (13387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LKM] Guanajuato - Study Abroad at the University

Just FYI: http://www.milenio.com/node/707708

What the article says is that the entire police force, including the chief, of this town in Guanajuato was found to be involved with La Familia Michoacana (major drug cartel). The chief was a member of the cartel for at least two years prior to being named chief. The article goes on to say that the head of Public Security for that area and his two brothers are also believed to be members of La Familia and have fled. The police who were arrested were informants to La Familia about police activities.

"Encroachment" is too light a word to use for drug cartel activity in Guanajuato. It's already deeply involved in the state.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jrpierce

May 2, 2011, 8:31 PM

Post #3 of 3 (13326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LKM] Guanajuato - Study Abroad at the University

My wife and I live in Mexico (in Morelia). My wife and I have never felt unsafe here. The vast majority of our friends here (both expat and Mexican) feel the same way. I do feel there are unsafe areas in Mexico--especially the northern border areas--but not where we live.

I spoke today with a Mexican friend who has worked at a fairly high level in Mexico's federal criminal justice system, and who is personally familiar with the security situation in the city of Guanajuato and surroundings. My friend's opinion is that a student at the University in Guanajuato would be quite safe. Also, you may have noticed that the US State Department did not include Guanajuato in their recently updated travel warning.

Of course you need to decide for yourself, but based on the available evidence I think he'll be fine.

Jim

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4