Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rockydog85251

Apr 29, 2011, 7:04 PM

Post #1 of 51 (6372 views)

Shortcut

Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
We have friends that are considering travelling around via bus and are thinking about including Celaya, Irapuato and/or Queretaro. Does anyone out there have any recommendations or cautions regarding these areas or this mode of travel?
He speaks Spanish quite well. Thanks for any help!
Willie

Anonimo

Apr 30, 2011, 1:24 AM

Post #2 of 51 (6336 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
Sit back, relax and enjoy the onboard movies.

Our last visit from Querétaro to SMA then Celaya and Morelia was 4 years ago, but we traveled by car and it was relatively easy.

A couple of years ago, while waiting for a bus at the Irapuato station
I was taking photos and a security guard told me it was prohibited. So I asked forgiveness, pleading ignorance and stopped. No pasó nada.

There was no decent food at the Irapuato station, so I went out and bought some better tortas nearby. The food selection at Celaya seemed better.

That's my experience.

Last year we traveled twice from Pátzcuaro to SMA via Morelia, with a stop in Celaya. We got to Celaya early and the Primera Plus agent there in the station readily exchanged our tickets on Servicios Coordinados to the next departure.

Returning from SMA to Morelia, we had a "directo" that stopped in Celaya but we stayed on.

The routes are easy and the rides are pleasant.

saludos,
Anonimo

robt65

Apr 30, 2011, 4:24 AM

Post #3 of 51 (6334 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
Good Morning Anonimo,

If my memory serves me right (that's always a variable) over the years, I have seen that you have taken many bus trips. I would like your take in general on travel (long and short haul) through Mexico. You seem to have a pretty good handle on this subject. Would you consider writing an article or at least a long general post on Mexican bus travel? You know are there always taxi's available at bus stations? Are they always seedy like in most USA bus stations? Is food served on the luxury buses? Differences in the levels of luxury or not in bus travel. Restrooms clean. Cost versus car travel. Convenience taking the bus? I doubt that I am the only one who might consider such a mode of transportation in Mexico.

robt65

Anonimo

Apr 30, 2011, 5:24 AM

Post #4 of 51 (6328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
Yikes! That's quite an assignment, Robert65. I don't pretend to know all their is about bus travel in all parts of Mexico. My most recent experiences are limited to El Bajío, Pátzcuaro to Mexico City; and within the last 3 years, Mexico City to Oaxaca and back.

Really, it's to broad a topic for me to tackle. I may update our most recent bus travel experiences (AutoVías from Pátzcuaro to Mexico City and ETN Mexico City to Morelia; then on Autovías to Pátzcuaro.)

Maybe a little later, either here or on my blog, "Surviving La Vida Buena" http://cocinamexicana.blogspot.com/.

And we can hope that "Larpman", now retired and living in SMA will continue his magnificent work on the Mexican bus system.
http://www.larpman.com/...es/buspages/bus.html

Anonimo

LuvDux

May 1, 2011, 11:46 AM

Post #5 of 51 (6233 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am intersted too. FLights are a lot cheaper into Mexico City then Morelia. I was thinking of floying into MCity then bus to Maravatio. I do not speak much espanol at all, no read it. So I am a bit daunted by the adventure. What are your thoughts? WHen I fly to MCity, how do I get on the right bus to Maravatio. And I want the nicest busline too.
lisa in orehgn

chicois8

May 1, 2011, 1:43 PM

Post #6 of 51 (6222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LuvDux] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
"lisa in orehgn" , my eyes are burning...good luck" floying into MCity"
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

mexipat

May 1, 2011, 5:51 PM

Post #7 of 51 (6171 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Check out http://differentworld.com/mexico/buses.htm for lots of bus info. Frommers and Lonely Planet will aim you to the right bus station in Mexico City. It's easy to get to the right station once you know which one it is. Get in the authorized taxi line at the airport and buy a ticket. The buses are great.

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 1, 2011, 5:56 PM)

raferguson

May 1, 2011, 8:50 PM

Post #8 of 51 (6146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Central Highlands trip - buses

| Private Reply
The Mexican bus system is excellent, as others have said. I have not heard a lot about problems in that area. Travel in daylight hours is recommended for many reasons, including security, no matter what part of Mexico you are in.

The Queretero bus station, the last time I was there, was really two bus stations, a first class station, and a second class station, about 200 feet apart. For short distances (2 hours or less), most of the second class bus lines are fine, but look at the buses, you can tell which lines are OK and which are using old junky buses. The article below may be helpful.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...n-mexico-2006-update

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Anonimo

May 2, 2011, 2:23 AM

Post #9 of 51 (6128 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm going to put my short guide to buses Mexico City to Morelia/Pátzcuaro in the Travel Forum.
http://tinyurl.com/5txln66

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on May 2, 2011, 2:44 AM)

robt65

May 2, 2011, 8:59 PM

Post #10 of 51 (6036 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi Anonimo,
I know that is "quite an assignment" (smiling) that's why I asked you to do it! I have read many times on here the different trips you have taken by bus and you always have a lot of good solid information that most of us (for sure me) can learn from. Seeing different things through your eyes is great. I think that many others on here would agree with me that you are very descriptive and I really do trust your judgement. I know that you don't know all about all bust lines and trips in MExico, but I think you know a heck of a lot more than I do for sure and probably others also. for what ever you decide to contribute including senior discount fares etc., I will be very grateful. I look forward to hearing and learning from what you have to say.

robt65

Anonimo

May 3, 2011, 4:41 AM

Post #11 of 51 (6021 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Robert65; I'll add a couple of things to my bus post on the Travel Forum.

Saludos,
Anonimo

LuvDux

May 3, 2011, 6:08 AM

Post #12 of 51 (6008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexipat] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
This mexconnect forum has been very informative as I preapre for my trip in June. I will be going to Maravatio or Morelia, either one. Looking for a small furnished apartment to stay up to a three weeks. Will be returning 3-4 times a year. Someone mentioned that flights in Toluca are reasonable. I find this correct. I would like to hear eveyone's opinions. FLy into MexCity or TOluca? Bus availibility at both MexCity and Toluca to both Morelia and Maravatio? Can I find a small apartment in Maravatio or Morelia? Safety is my main concern and finding other english speaking people to help me get around. I have a friend who lives in rural Maravatio I will be visiting, but will not be staying there as not to burden the family. Oh, is it true, don't drink the water?
Lisa in Oregon

chinagringo

May 3, 2011, 6:25 AM

Post #13 of 51 (6003 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The drinking the water topic is dealt with at the very end of the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Reefhound

May 3, 2011, 7:33 AM

Post #14 of 51 (5981 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Luvdux, it has been alluded and maybe it's just posting shorthand, but nobody refers to Mexico city as "MCity" or "MexCity". We know what you mean but if you throw those terms around once you arrive down there, you are going to sound odd. If you want something short and sweet, how about D.F.?

Anonimo

May 3, 2011, 8:02 AM

Post #15 of 51 (5973 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The Caminantes bus Line connects Mexico City's Terminal Poniente with Toluca's bus station. I think that at least during the daytime, there are departures every 15 minutes.

The question about Mexico City to Morelia I've answered on the Traveling Mexico Forum.

I suggest that you get a guidebook to Mexico, especially useful are the Lonely Planet Guides. They have made specific chapters downloadable as well as entire guidebooks. Those are inexpensive. In them you'll find answers to many of these basic questions, such as about drinking water.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on May 3, 2011, 8:03 AM)

Papirex

May 3, 2011, 8:36 AM

Post #16 of 51 (5959 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
A little clarification. It is not common to refer to México City as “The D. F.” here, every Mexican refers to Mexico City as simply Mexico, everyone understands that it means Mexico City. Not all of Mexico City is in The D. F., quite a lot of Mexico City is in Mexico State.

It always seems a little strange to me to need to type “City” after Mexico in a letter or post, but I realize that many newcomers that have never lived in, or near the capitol, or that don't have a Mexican family, or many educated Mexican friends, are confused by how to denote the capitol, Mexico.

If you refer to it as “The D. F.”, you will be understood, but using that term marks you as an outsider.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

esperanza

May 3, 2011, 8:37 AM

Post #17 of 51 (5955 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
This mexconnect forum has been very informative as I preapre for my trip in June. I will be going to Maravatio or Morelia, either one. Looking for a small furnished apartment to stay up to a three weeks. Will be returning 3-4 times a year. Someone mentioned that flights in Toluca are reasonable. I find this correct. I would like to hear eveyone's opinions. FLy into MexCity or TOluca? Bus availibility at both MexCity and Toluca to both Morelia and Maravatio? Can I find a small apartment in Maravatio or Morelia? Safety is my main concern and finding other english speaking people to help me get around. I have a friend who lives in rural Maravatio I will be visiting, but will not be staying there as not to burden the family. Oh, is it true, don't drink the water?
Lisa in Oregon

Maravatío is way, way off the radar for finding an English-speaking community. It is also not--shall we say--a particularly interesting town. I suspect that you would really enjoy a stay in Morelia with visits to your friends in Maravatío. You'll find some English-speaking people in Morelia, and of course Morelia is a gloriously beautiful, highly cultured small city with lots and lots to offer. Just my opinion...

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Reefhound

May 3, 2011, 9:32 AM

Post #18 of 51 (5935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
Thanks for the clarification. I was going to mention just "Mejico" but thought that might be a little too confusing at this point. That is what you'll see on the road signs. Although my Mexican family members DO often call it D.F. (Maybe they are doing it for my benefit?)

Papirex

May 3, 2011, 9:51 AM

Post #19 of 51 (5930 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Drinking untreated water from a tap is sometimes safe, but it is always risky. Municipal water supplies generally receive zero purification treatment. Some homes, not many, do have water purification systems in them. Some ads for homes claim they will have potable water. They really mean that they have running water, not necessarily safe to drink, if there is no water purification system installed and maintained in the home.

If you don't have a domestic water treatment system in your home, most people buy 19 or 20 liter (approximately 5 US gallons) plastic bottles (garafons) of supposedly purified water for use in their homes, they weigh approximately 40 pounds (18 kilos) each. As an extra safeguard, I also treat them with silver colloids to assure the purification of our water. There are several brands available in most supermarkets, Sam's and Costco here. I use the Microdyne brand in 500 ML bottles, one 500 ML bottle lasts us about 6 or 8 months. One cap full per garafon does the trick, it is tasteless. We also keep a pitcher of purified water in every bathroom to use when brushing our teeth.

Many restaurants will place bottles of purified water on every table. Open and use it, and it will be on your bill, you must usually pay for it if you use it, so take it with you if you open it.

As a visitor, you will probably be safer to always buy bottled water to drink here. If you take any trips, bring a bottle of water with you.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

robt65

May 16, 2011, 6:19 AM

Post #20 of 51 (5520 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
Hi Esperanza,

I am curious as to why you feel Morelia is a "gloriously beautiful, highly cultured small city" ?

robt65

esperanza

May 16, 2011, 7:07 AM

Post #21 of 51 (5504 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Robert, in spite of its population (about one million in the metropolitan area), the physical city is tiny. Compared to the sprawl of metropolitan Guadalajara and the vastness of Mexico City--just the physical areas of those two cities, not the populations--Morelia is indeed tiny.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Guanajuato Gringa

Jul 6, 2011, 11:04 AM

Post #22 of 51 (4185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
By bus should be quite safe. Pick a good line, buy your ticket over the Internet. The bus carries a manifest and photographs all passengers. You pass through security similar to getting on an airplane. They really take security quite seriously.
Keep in mind where you are when you get off said bus. That is a whole different ball game. The US State Department recommends NO TRAVEL BY LAND in Michoacan. Perhaps it is up for debate as to whether that should include bus travel.
I live in Guanajuato, I have been here for 3 years. My step father is a Mexican. I know what I am talking about. Most Mexican people would not travel to Michoacan for any reason, ever.
It is also worth mentioning that Celaya is quite a dangerous place as well. Last summer they had what amounted to a war between the cops and the narcos. Complete with bombings and beheadings. Careful...
So, keep that in mind. I hope you have a nice trip.

Guanajuato Gringa

Jul 6, 2011, 3:00 PM

Post #23 of 51 (4148 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
Don't drink the water was true 30 years ago. I nearly died from dysentery in Quinatana Roo as a child. But those days are over. I have lived in a little tiny town in Guanajuato for 3 years. I drink the water, bathe in it and feed it to my animals. Every day. I have never been sick, not once.
Continuing to spread that nonsense about dangerous water in Mexico helps no one but the bottled water mafia. Many many people suspect that those garafons are filled with nothing different than the municipal tap water that is piped into any home.
Worry more about how dangerous Michoacan is for Americans. Read the State Department website. According to them the water is the least of your problems.
I would not go there. Not for all the tea in China. There are a lot of trolls on sites like this that will come down hard on a post like mine. That is very easy for someone living in Oklahoma City to do. Talk to the people who really live here. Or better yet, ask a Mexican.
Michoacan is best avoided, period...

chinagringo

Jul 6, 2011, 3:42 PM

Post #24 of 51 (4142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guanajuato Gringa] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
I am curious enough to ask: how much experience have you had in Michoacan? Or are you just reacting to hearsay and believing everything that you hear?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Guanajuato Gringa

Jul 6, 2011, 4:24 PM

Post #25 of 51 (4148 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Central Highlands trip

| Private Reply
I do not know why I feel compelled to tell you this because responding to you only encourages you. Until last October my business was buying American blue jeans by the ton for sale up here. The clothing market I bought in was in Celaya. I saw the blown up cop shops. The signs, the directing of traffic around the city and not allowing you to exit unless and until the army searched your vehicle.
So to answer your question, no. I am not reacting to hearsay. I have seen it with my own eyes and I do not categorize news from reliable sources as hearsay. Do you?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4