Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

LuvDux

Apr 29, 2011, 11:49 AM

Post #1 of 5 (10315 views)

Shortcut

Morelia and Maravatio

Can't Post | Private Reply
4-29-2011
Traveling for the first time to Morelia then to Maravatio to visit friend. Any advice? What is the most reasonable way to fly there from Oregon? How do I get around once there? Probably will stay up to a month. Might be looking at returning several times a year. I would like to find a place to rent furnished with kitchen. Safety will be important, amenities will also carry much merit. Single 50's female traveling alone. Do not speak much spanish, although very familiar with culture and people. I do want to go on this adventure. With all the things that have transpired, I seek input from other english speaking Amercians living there and their experiences. I look forward to chatting.

PNW Gal

jrpierce

Apr 30, 2011, 10:13 AM

Post #2 of 5 (10238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LuvDux] Morelia and Maravatio

Hi PNW gal,

My wife and I have lived in Morelia for more than three years. Here are a few thoughts re your question. There are direct flights from the US to the airport in Morelia. SW Airlines and Volaris have combined flight segments to make travel from the US to Mexico more affordable. I'd check that out. Other airlines serve the Morelia airport, but with many recent changes, I won't try to tell you about them. Of course that is easy to research on line or with a travel agent.

As for a safe, comfortable place to stay in a great location in Morelia, check out the web site http://www.furnishedapartmentsmorelia.com/. This gives you information on a small apartment complex owned by the Baden Powell Institute--a first-rate language school here in Morelia. The apartments were built to provide accommodations for language students, however they will also rent them to non-language students. Furnished apartments in Mexico can be a tricky business, however these will most likely satisfy your US tastes. Also a real plus, the apartments are in the Central area of Morelia, and an easy walk to everything you may wish to see in Centro. My wife and I lived there for a couple of months while looking for more permanent housing in Morelia and were quite satisfied (we also attended the language school). Their prices are certainly on the high side for Morelia, however the quality of their units was worth it for us.

I know nothing about Maravatio, never having been there, but from looking at the map, I see it is just off the main toll road to Mexico City. There would be any number of ways to get there (bus, taxi, car hire). It would allow you to travel on major highways, and thus be very secure. The location would also mean you could book a round trip for your visit to/from the Morelia airport.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck on your plans!

Jim

brecky

May 1, 2011, 6:25 AM

Post #3 of 5 (10183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Morelia and Maravatio

I agree with Jim re the Baden Powell apartments. I didn't stay there myself but I saw some of the apartments & they are funished/equipped for 'gringo' tastes, Eugenio & Regina are wonderful people to deal with, & the location is perfect, within walking distance of most of the historic sites in el centro, + handy to combi bus stops.

As for Maravatio, I have some photos from my brief visit there last winter in this photo journal http://www.worldisround.com/articles/364618/index.html , plus several photo journals from Morelia & area that I have published already in this folder http://www.worldisround.com/articles/364618/index.html & more to come. (I was in Morelia for 2 mos las winter.) You may want to save that folder link & check back now & then? I hope you enjoy Morelia & area as much as I did. The colonial architecture in the compact centro historico is fabulous, especially the churches. Buen viaje

Lorraine

My travel photography home page:
http://www.worldisround.com/home/brecky/index.html

(This post was edited by brecky on May 1, 2011, 6:27 AM)

LuvDux

May 1, 2011, 8:21 AM

Post #4 of 5 (10164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [brecky] Morelia and Maravatio

thanks so much. I love churches. I have not traveled in central mexico. Alot of churches in the south, new mexico, arizona, texas. I cannot wait. Old spanish architecture is my very favorite. I find churches so spiritual. They speak to my soul. I have traveled to the caribean alot. I hope to spend a lot of time in the morelia / maravatio area. I am interested in hearing from all. I do not know any american s down there yet.

Lisa in Oregon

infinateone

Oct 25, 2011, 1:33 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LuvDux] Morelia and Maravatio

Hello, im planning on moving to maravatio, and starting my life in the spring of this year, i have two teenage sons and am seeking info on schools for them and possibly working an attending school as well.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4