Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Sue F.

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 5 (22316 views)

Shortcut

Pollo ala crema

|

Still looking for the correct recipe for this, but now have a bit more info, since I went and had it again! LOL It has pieces of sauteed chicken breast, and mild green chillies in a sauce that has parmesan cheese, and sour cream in it. I would really appreciate it if someone had the recipe for this and would share it. Azteca restaurants, as well as other Jalisco type restaurants serve this both with chicken and with shrimp.

Also, someone had posted last November about wanting a recipe for crab enchiladas with cream sauce. Did that recipe ever surface? If so, I'd love to have it.

Thanks!

Sue F.

Post #2 of 5 (22309 views)

Shortcut

Wah Lah! I think I got it!! Recipe inside.

|

Thank you Vic & Heather for more ideas! I have been messing around trying to get this particular recipe right for about 6 months. My darling husband is sick of my experiments, but is a wonderful sport. Tried again last night and I finally got it right! Here's my recipe for any that want to try it...

Pollo ala Crema

3 - 4 nice sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces, saute over medium heat in 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add 3 - 4 oz. diced green chiles (NOT pickled) I used Ortega brand.

When the chicken is done, spinkle with 1/4 c. flour and mix well. Pour 1 pt. half and half over this and stir as if making gravy. If it gets too thick, thin a little with milk.

Reduce heat as soon as mixture boils, and thickens just a bit. Add 3/4 cup
shredded parmesan cheese (NOT the Kraft variety in the can), and 3/4 cup sour cream. Season with 1/4 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. spanish paprika. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, and let simmer about 10
minutes, stirring occassionally.

Serve over steamed (or Mexican) rice, with refried beans and a salad.

Vic

Post #3 of 5 (22306 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like Rajas Con Crema y Pollo !

|

Hola.

Dearest Sue, by your description it looks like what you had was 'Rajas con Crema y pollo' or " Chicken in Tender poblano chile strips with sour cream sauce" ( And you say that Spanish uses a lot of words huh!!!) If this is what you had, here is the way I'd make it:
Get 3 fresh poblano chiles, roast them to direct fire and place them in a plastic bag to sweat for 5 minutes. Take them out of the bag and peel them, open them and seed and vein them. Cut them in long strips and put aside. In a hot pan add a combination of Olive Oil and butter 2 full spoons equal parts. Chop 1/2 an Onion in long strips and fry it, once it is caramelized (big F'n word JA!)add your Rajas... (the poblano chiles) and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
On another pan, cook your chicken (any way you want to marinade it) and plate it. To serve the Rajas while they're warm, add 1 large spoon of sour cream and stir until melts, then serve either on top or side of Chicken.

I hope this is what you want otherwise, well, that's just another thing you might want to keep and try some day.

Cheers.,

Vic.

Heather

Post #4 of 5 (22304 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like Rajas Con Crema y Pollo !

|

Sorry to but in, sounds good, I've never had it with chicken. I do it a bit differently: after the chiles and onions have sauteed, I add some cheese Montery Jack or queso por quesadillas, and then a small can of Nestle Media Crema. Don't know if this is available in the states, but is what I use here in MX. My nanny does another variation with spaghetti. Think she blends up the chilis after they've roasted and then adds them to the cream to make the sauce, and then adds the cooked spaghetti. Yummy!

R. Mendoza

Post #5 of 5 (22309 views)

Shortcut

An even better recipe

|

I agree with Vic almost 100%. However, once you have sweted the poblano peppers, instead of cooking the chicken separately, what you should do is the following (I believe this will make the dish tastier. This is how I learned it from my aunt): put oil in a frying pan, fry the chicken until brwoned (you must cut it in 1-inch cubes), and when the chicken appears browned, but no cooked, add the sliced onions. Cook for about 4 or 5 more minutes, and then add about half a pint (for about one to one and a half pounds of chicken) of sour cream. The original recipe calls for Mexican cream, which is preferable, but if you don't have it, use sour cream. Once you incorporate the cream, cook for one or two more minutes and then serve. The ideal side dish for this would be rice with carrots, but pretty much anything will do. Excellent dish.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4