Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bgracie

Apr 27, 2011, 6:14 PM

Post #1 of 12 (19289 views)

Shortcut

recommend a good dentist?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I need two crowns and was considering combining a visit there with dental work, if I can find a reputable dentist, GDL or Lake Chapala area?

Thank you in advance...

Zardoz

Apr 28, 2011, 8:52 AM

Post #2 of 12 (19242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bgracie] recommend a good dentist?

We have had about 5 dentist visitors this year and we used Dr Olivera in Riberas Del pillar next
to Mom resturant in the clinic. 376 765 4838. He is not the most expensive and not the cheapest
right where I want a dentist. His english is excellent. Kind and gentle hand. Modern water cleaning
and digital low dose Xray machine. Our guests and ourselves had cleaning, exams, crowns, rebuilt
fillings removing mercury and replacing with composite materials and teeth straightning. We have
had enough work done of our guests we have had problems and he worked them all out. I think
he will take credit card but negotiate that if you want to as mexico is cash only and it can affect
the price. Good people. Remember in Mexico you pay as you go along for a dentist. Last money
will be paid when crown is installed for example half when your temp is put on.

cleaning 400pesos $35 US
Gold Crown 5500pesos $476 US
replace filling 650peso $56 US

Your prices may vary ask!!

Hope this helps!!

Z

simpsca

Apr 30, 2011, 7:45 AM

Post #3 of 12 (19152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bgracie] recommend a good dentist?

I recommend Dr, Haro's office in Riberas or Dr. Eloy Barragan in Chapala. Haro's office is more expensive than Dr. Barragan but the same first rate equipment.

johninajijic

Apr 30, 2011, 8:57 AM

Post #4 of 12 (19146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simpsca] recommend a good dentist?

The best Dentist at Lakeside having the most modern equipment is Dr. Hector Haro trained in Maryland address below:
Dr. HECTOR HARO, DDS
San Luis # 83 - (Behind Animal Shelter in Riberas)
Telephone: 765 3193 or 765 6410

An equal dentist in Chapala who is less expensive than Dr. Haro is:

Dr. Eloy Barragán Fernandez
López Cotilla #272 B - Chapala
Telephone: 765 5584
Cell: 045 333 157 0136

Dr. Don Olivera mentioned above does not have modern equipment like these two Dentists.

Zardoz

Apr 30, 2011, 9:45 AM

Post #5 of 12 (19125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] recommend a good dentist?

So what do these folks have that Olivera doesn't? He cleans teeth with water the most
modern method. He has a low dose GE digital Xray machine with very clear pictures. For
the work we have done he is fine. I am sure the most expensive dentists in the area
have fancier equipment but for normal cavity/crown/root canal work you don't need it.
Am I missing something? I see the same equipment as my NOB dentist just not so fancy
a room and the chair is older.

Z

Gringal

Apr 30, 2011, 12:34 PM

Post #6 of 12 (19102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] recommend a good dentist?

Heads up: I don't know about Dr. Haro, but it takes several weeks normally to get an appointment with Dr. Barragan.
If you're in a hurry, that could present a problem.

Docmex9

Jun 20, 2011, 3:31 PM

Post #7 of 12 (18415 views)

Shortcut

Please be aware of Dr. Hector Haro. Graduated from U of Guad. NOT U of Maryland. Without Slander or Libel I will simply tell a
100% Factual experience I had with Dr. Haro in March/April 2010: One upper Denture (Plate) $1,200.00 USD ($15,000.00 pesos at the time). Insisted I pay 50% down ($8,000.00 pesos). Does not fit. Need Lg. amts. of Fixodent Denture adhesive just to hold it in my mouth and still cannot eat. Does NOT look like my teeth at all, even though I brought 100%, 150% & 300% enlarged photos of my original teeth. His statement was; Everyone's palate is different. Really? As a Retired USAF Physician Assistant & RN I am aware everyone's palate is different as are most people aware of this fact, Medical Professionals or not. Nine (9) visits. He knew my 89 y/o mother was dying (She did pass away on 07 April '10) and I was going to see her for her last 3 days as it turned out. Also, he was aware my sons were coming to visit before I left for the States to see my Mother. Promises of being able to eat corn on the cob, steak etc. etc. I can't even speak properly or eat soup with this thing as it falls out of my mouth without large amts. of "glue". Promises it would look like my natural teeth which I lost due to disease in 2007. Promised I would Never need Dental adhesive. I have all receipts and 2 witnesses. And, of course, this ill fitting, unbelievably high-priced cheap piece of plastic plate. His last statement to me: "Well, there's nothing more I can do for you my friend." Any and all requests for proof of this are welcome. Keep your money in your pocket around this man.

don pedro

Jun 21, 2011, 4:35 PM

Post #8 of 12 (18339 views)

Shortcut

good grief! when are you peoples gonna stop touting NOB type dentists to the newbies.
i've been here 5 years now and used dr. maria de lourdes barajas chavez at madero #467,chapala[south of the bus station] phone:765-2800 since day one. so do a lot of my friends here and canada , my son and people from as far away as england come here for her work.
she has a surgery like in the 50's and one assistant. you don't hafta wait weeks to see her. she's taking more courses now but has a friend fill in on the days that she's in guad.
her english is good but her assistant speaks none.
at our age,we've had a lot of dentists but i can tell you that she's the best one i've ever had bar none.
it doesn't take forever to get an appointment especially if it's an emergency.
oh, my lower denture was $2350 pesos. i had 4 teeth pulled painlessly for $250pesos. my son's crowns were $1100 pesos each.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

(This post was edited by don pedro on Jun 21, 2011, 4:44 PM)

Gringal

Jun 24, 2011, 4:20 PM

Post #9 of 12 (18227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Docmex9] recommend a good dentist?

Beware of dentists who advertise heavily in the Gringo papers. The really good ones don't need to.
"Word of Mouth" does the job. (groan)

Maureenodh

May 31, 2015, 1:00 PM

Post #10 of 12 (10535 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] recommend a good dentist?

I'm new to this Forum. I plan on visiting Lakeside in August or September to take in the area for consideration to part time live there, and while visiting become a "dental tourist." I have no idea what you mean by "NOB" north of the border? I'm reading myself blind trying to make rational and good decisions before committing to a trip there. There are so many conflicting recommendations. Many read so far praise Dr Hora. A few say over priced or even be careful. As a resident, your long time experience is critical. One reason I'm going to give "dental tourism" a shot is that my US dentists over the years have made some very poor judgements at exceptionally frustrating costs. Everything I hear about training and better client doctor care in MX can't be misleading information, so why not... At a fraction of the cost. (We're retired). Can you spend a bit of time with me and tell me more? Using Dr Maria... Where would you recommend I stay to also make a vacation and explore Ajijic, Lake Chapala area? Thanks so much!

rvgringo

May 31, 2015, 3:40 PM

Post #11 of 12 (10519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maureenodh] recommend a good dentist?

May I suggest that you provide the dates you plan to arrive and depart. Then, make an appointment within that time frame.
The best dentist Lakeside is Dr. Eloy Barragan.

Gringal

Jun 1, 2015, 6:43 AM

Post #12 of 12 (10494 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] recommend a good dentist?

Dr. Barragan has been my dentist for years. Excellent work.
However, you will need to make an appointment several weeks in advance unless you are an existing client and it's an emergency.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4