Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Vicki

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 5 (13212 views)

Shortcut

Verdolagas (purslanes)

Can't Post |

Im looking for any mexican recipes for the verdolaga plant.All I have is a Carne de puerco con verdolaga recipe and another saute recipe... Any good ideas??? We like these much better than spinach.VDR

mADELINE

Post #2 of 5 (13202 views)

Shortcut

Verdolagas (purslanes)

Can't Post |
No Message

Gilda

Post #3 of 5 (13207 views)

Shortcut

Verdolagas (purslanes)

Can't Post |

Is there another word for purslane? I looked at my local grocery store (about 90% hispanics shop there) and nobody knew what they were!

Thanks!

Denis

Post #4 of 5 (13201 views)

Shortcut

Verdolagas (purslanes)

Can't Post |

Thank you, Vicki, for clearing up what verdolagas are. I ran into the recipe linked below on the Cocina Mexicana site -- an excellent resource, by the way -- but, since I'm up here in the States I couldn't figure out just what kind of green thing they were talking about. By the way, I have a Turkish recipe for purslane stew. It may be similar to your carne de puerco con v. recipe, but the Turks use ground lamb. The recipe is not on the net, but if you would like it I'll post it or e-mail you.

Rhonda in Cuernavaca

Post #5 of 5 (13200 views)

Shortcut

Verdolagas (purslanes)

Can't Post |

This is a delicious vegetable - went out of style i the rest of the world - but seems to be making a comeback. Wonder if it is via Mexian Restaurants and cooks in the US
Verdolarga is great in a salad (use the finer top points) with cilantro, parsely. lettuce and a bit of mint. Add some finely chopped green onion and tomato. Make a vinaigrette with some of the sauce from a tin of chile chipotles in adobo. Toss the salad at the last minute with some toasted or fried pieces of tortilla.

Another idea is to add verdolarga to a nopal salad.

It also makes a great cream soup - crema de verdolargas. I can't vouch for its authenticity but ....
Saute some onions and a litle garlic in butter. Add verdolargas (remove thick stalks first) and a little cummin powder and saute until soft. Add light chicken stock and cook until soft. Blend in a liquidiser (strain after this step if you want it to be more refined) add some cream and reheat, stirring all the time (do not boil). Add salt and pepper if you wish.

Sorry I have no recipe - but any decent cook should be able to work with these instructions

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4