Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ken_in_dfw

Apr 28, 2011, 7:03 PM

Post #26 of 48 (7665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

|
Indeed. May I recommend to the very honorable Sr. Rolly a book that has enlightened me tremendously about motivation? It's Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Dan Pink. It's an outstanding bit of research and observation that is both entertaining and eye-opening.

rscastro

Apr 30, 2011, 6:25 PM

Post #27 of 48 (7568 views)

Shortcut

Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
I am perhaps one of the newest newbies and I want to thank everyone for every spec of information, leads, advice that has been sent my way. My husband is from Mexico City but has lived here in Texas for 33 years. We will be moving, God willing, to Akumal next summer and we are excited but a little nervous. It is comforting to me to read all of the posts, to know that there are folks who have already made the move and have not only survived but are thriving. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Please don't stop giving advise to us gringos who are making the move. I value each of you.

chinagringo

May 1, 2011, 11:10 AM

Post #28 of 48 (7502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
In a recent conversation concerning maps in Mexico, one constant was that Guia Roji maps were recommended. The OP then objected that the maps were in Spanish. To which people responded that the highway lines and numbers were in English.

When one sees this type of reaction by the OP, one has to wonder if they will pay any attention to requested information and advice?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ken_in_dfw

May 1, 2011, 6:52 PM

Post #29 of 48 (7455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

|
Yep. Life in Mexico would be sweet if weren't for all that damn Spanish nonsense.

(and for those who are humor-challenged, the above was an example of snark)

Ken

surebought

May 2, 2011, 12:55 PM

Post #30 of 48 (7398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
I would like to thank all the people who responded to my question. I think the answer is no, you don't try to help the newcomers. They came here to re-invent themselves so we should let them. Unless, of course, I do the asking. If the lawyer is one of those guys that takes your money and never does anything, please tell me. I will appreciate it. I might even buy you a couple of shrimp tacos for the warning. Its kind of like high school I think sometimes. The only people that stuck together and protected each other were the ethnic minorities. We white people, we can't be bothered.

chinagringo

May 2, 2011, 3:53 PM

Post #31 of 48 (7371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
Then again, there are self proclaimed experts who make absolute proclamations while sounding knowledgeable. They give no thought to the possible damage or possible harm that might come to that New Comer. I followed a post on another forum where the self proclaimed expert used the following: "Mexico never.......... Most of us know and recognize that the word "never" rarely applies to Mexico in the same way that "always" would rarely apply. Without going into details, the never poster was confronted and did what I would call the "teaberry shuffle" when a sizable wager was offered up with the proceeds going to a local chapter of Cruz Roja. As the old saying goes: "money talks and BS walks"!

I think we all need to be careful to qualify and quantify our advise when providing info to someone new!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

alex .

May 7, 2011, 7:24 AM

Post #32 of 48 (7199 views)

Shortcut

Re: experts

| Private Reply
Expert advice...lets see....every penguin that I have ever seen was at the San Diego Zoo...so I must conclude from my personal, eye witness, experience that penguins are indigenous to San Diego. It goes kinda like that. And yes, we should help newbies, it would be unkind to do otherwise.
Alex

DavidHF

May 7, 2011, 7:52 PM

Post #33 of 48 (7136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] experts

| Private Reply
We should carefully advise the newcomers with our advice. We should also watch our spelling and grammar.

robt65

May 7, 2011, 10:54 PM

Post #34 of 48 (7113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rscastro] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
Hi rscastro,

Please do not take my post as cynical as it is not given in that vane.

Read chinagringos post, it is correct. "Advise" is most times to be very careful about . . . . . . . . "Suggestions" usually will provide some backup and probably warrant further research on the requesters part. Take any "advise" with pinch of salt at the same time remembering salt is bad for the BP!

Many Newbie's expect instant answers. Research, research and research and then run your own conclusions. Most newbie’s expect most all advise to be gospel. Either stay on the porch or leave the porch and get in for the ride of your life. It can be great or it can be costly, the final results are the requesters reward or downfall . . . newbie or not.

Be aware . . . . . what works in one area of Mexico may not work in another part of Mexico. and above all else remember . . . . . . . "the only sure thing in Mexico is that nothing is for sure".

robt65

Gringal

May 8, 2011, 9:05 AM

Post #35 of 48 (7063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
Good advise/advice. And that's why there is spellcheck.

It is true that many people whose retirement dream is Mexico are utterly clueless about what they are getting into, and too darn lazy to do the research. On another board, someone asked what they needed to bring to Ajijic in a station wagon and I was ROFL at some of the advise/advice. Some seem to think they need to bring every single thing with a cord on it; others are ready to deal with whatever consumer treats are available.......which is almost everything these days.

Some are stunned to arrive in places like San Miguel de Allende and discover no stop signs in town. Some can't believe the first time the Mordida dance happens to them. Some can't understand that, golly gee, a lot of Mexicans just don't speak English, no matter how loudly they shout it at them.

And so on. I seldom give general advice. That's what libraries and the Internet are for. Some questions can't be answered from those sources, and that's when I try to "play it forward" but I also know, in my heart of hearts, that my words will most likely be ignored.

As Robt. says: It's the ride of a lifetime, and if you abandon the word "should" and the concept of "consistency".....you'll have a grand adventure.

arbon

May 8, 2011, 10:54 AM

Post #36 of 48 (7039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

|
"Good advise/advice. And that's why there is spellcheck."

advice vs advise Advice is a noun, which means an opinion that someone offers you about what you should do or how you should act in a particular situation.

For example: "I need someone to give me some advice."

Advise is a verb, which means to give information and suggest types of action.

For example: "I advise everybody to be nice to their teacher."

!Note - In British English the noun form often ends in ...ice and the verb in ...ise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbon

May 8, 2011, 11:01 AM

Post #37 of 48 (7037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

|
In short it can be said that both the words give the meaning of ‘counseling’

Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/...dvice/#ixzz1Lmjt2eOe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jerezano

May 8, 2011, 3:58 PM

Post #38 of 48 (7009 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hello all,

Someone said when talking about advise and advice that "In short it can be said that both the words give the meaning of ‘counseling’.

Not so. Advice is a noun and is passive. It does not require an object. And yes it does mean counseling when counseling is used as a noun and is passive. Advise is the simple form of the infinitive verb to advise which means to counsel and it does require an object. The only time the word counseling can be used as a noun is when it is the gerund of the verb or is used as a noun as can most gerunds. Counseling can also be used as an adverb as can most gerunds. Advice can never be used as an adjective or an adverb. A verb in its infinitive form or it's simple form can never be used as a noun.

This is the way I remember my English grammar from so many years back it's hard to remember. Any grammarians out there?

As ever, jerezano

robt65

May 8, 2011, 4:41 PM

Post #39 of 48 (6992 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks Arbon , gringal and Jerrazno.

When under the spell of major pain killers for my leg, and half blind with a gas bubble popping around in my eye that I think sometimes is a cockroach or other insecta, I am lucky to be understaood at all. (smiling)

robt65

chinagringo

May 8, 2011, 4:44 PM

Post #40 of 48 (6991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
While it is often virtually impossible to tell the nationality of a poster, I have observed a number of advise/advice confusions coming out of posters known to be Canadians. Not trying to start a Canadian vs American discussion but I have to wonder if there may be some confusion when using King's/Queen's English? We do know that there is an ongoing dispute over the spelling of certain words.

Another example:
http://lakechapalainfo.bigforumpro.com/t1616-any-advise
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on May 8, 2011, 4:48 PM)

sparks

May 8, 2011, 6:05 PM

Post #41 of 48 (6972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
English grammar (in school) is/was the pitts. I resisted being interested on political grounds. Same with Statistics in college ... followed by Sociology

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Reefhound

May 8, 2011, 6:26 PM

Post #42 of 48 (6961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
When one is writing technical documentation or business correspondence one should make sure to use proper grammar. On forums such as this, all I am concerned with is whether one understands what is being said. Sometimes the grammar and spelling is so bad that the post makes no sense but most of the time I can tell what the person meant. Crossing up 'advice' and 'advise' is pretty insignificant, in my opinion.

chinagringo

May 8, 2011, 6:28 PM

Post #43 of 48 (6962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
How about lose or loose? Another common misuse on forums.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Reefhound

May 9, 2011, 6:02 AM

Post #44 of 48 (6916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
That one is a classic. But I couldn't care less. Or is it, I could care less?

alex .

May 9, 2011, 7:06 AM

Post #45 of 48 (6900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] spelin'

| Private Reply
In an Engineering environment I use the spelling and grammer tools. On the fora I write like I talk. I'm jus sayin'.......8<)

robt65

May 9, 2011, 8:11 AM

Post #46 of 48 (6883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Should we offer advise to the New Comers?

| Private Reply
Hi Rolly,

I really like the new photo! Wow, someone must have taken some scissors to your beard when you were sleeping! (smiling) . . . . . or maybe your eyesight right now being somewhat similar to mine, maybe someone took a pair of scissors to your head saying it was a haircut and made a few extra snips a little lower and to the front! Makes you look ten years younger!

I printed this larger so you could read it easier. (smiling)

robt65

arbon

May 9, 2011, 8:39 AM

Post #47 of 48 (6870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] spelin'

|

In Reply To
In an Engineering environment I use the spelling and grammer tools. On the fora I write like I talk. I'm jus sayin'.......8<)

Alex, how would you explain a 'right hand helix' in Spanish or English, without using your hands?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alex .

May 9, 2011, 5:48 PM

Post #48 of 48 (6808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] look ma...no hands !!

| Private Reply
The threads of a normal screw make a right hand helix. By normal I mean the screw is operated in a "rightsy tightsy leftsy loosey" fashion. If it goes the other way then its a left hand helix. Helices according to alex anyway.
Alex
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4