Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

johninajijic

Apr 22, 2011, 7:21 PM

Post #1 of 10 (8779 views)

Shortcut

HOLE IN ONE Restaurant Review - San Antonio

| Private Reply
Five of us from our Bi Monthly Dinner group ate at Hole in One restaurant in San Antonio. We reseved a table and upon walking in observed many tables were reserved. They filled up fast. The blackboard was wheeled over to us with the specials. We were given the Menu. The menu is fairly extensive with a few soups, 6 or 7 appetizers and 6 or 7 salads. Some of the appetizers and salads, I have not seen on any other Ajijic menu. There was a good list of Entrees too, too numerous to mention.

We ordered drinks, some margaritas and some soft drinks. Those who ordered the Margaritas said they were strong. Some orderd appetizers. One ordered Clam Chowder served in a bread bowl. Others ordered Spinach salad, grape tomatoes, Kalamata olives and provolone cheese. It came with a balsamic reduction vinegarette. Others liked it, but I did not. Perhaps I just like cooked spinach better.

Then we ordered. Two of us ordered the Beef Filet which comes served over mashed and sweet potatoes and sliced yellow and red peppers. It is without a doubt the "BEST: Filet Mignon in the Ajijic area. Two people ordered the Rigatoni with shrimp, bacon, spinach and mixed vegetables in a red sauce. One person ordered a Hamburger with fries.

The presentation and quality of the food was excellent. We highly recommend it as one of three "Best" restaurants at Lakeside.

Food quality: Excellent
Service: Excellent
Ambiance: Not much, but we don't eat ambiance
Prices: Average, no higher than any other restaurant
Cleanliness: Excellent
Phone: 766 4477

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Apr 22, 2011, 7:23 PM)

T

Apr 24, 2011, 2:16 PM

Post #2 of 10 (8667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] HOLE IN ONE Restaurant Review - San Antonio

| Private Reply
Finally. Been waiting two months for you to get your group (act) together and give us a review. I guess I am the only person here who loves the non-existent ambiance. Love the views, the breeze, the openness, the quality of their furniture ( no equipale trying to figure out what the heck you do with your legs)and fun watching the golfers on their driving range. Most extensive liquor cabinet in Lakeside. Outstanding and unique food that can be found nowhere else here. Cannot believe that none of you tried Eric's amazing lamb shank. One of your group ordered a hamburger and fries?? You need to drop him from your group. Grin. This is the best in fine dining that lakeside has to offer. To me, it is the best restaurant here. Glad it made it to your top three. Who are the other two. Please do not give me Tango and Hacienda Ajjic. Thanks for the review, John. T

johninajijic

Apr 25, 2011, 8:56 AM

Post #3 of 10 (8611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] HOLE IN ONE Restaurant Review - San Antonio

| Private Reply
We will make HOLE IN ONE a regular with our Dinner Group as I have already scheduled it for two more times this year. The fellow who ordered the Hamburger had just finished his leftover Filet from Bruno's that PM, otherwise he would have ordered the Filet. Our group of 5 was small because people are away. Also, Eric's prices are very reasonable.

The other two best on my/our list are LAURENT and NINETTE which we frequent 3 - 4 times a year.

John

DavidHF

Apr 25, 2011, 9:27 AM

Post #4 of 10 (8600 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
FYI, Laurent is closed thru the end of May for vacation.

T

Apr 26, 2011, 12:34 PM

Post #5 of 10 (8513 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Quick question. I am a smoker, please do not tell anyone, as I will receive hatemail. Does The Hole stilll allow smoking, since Sunrise got hit with a 25,000 peso fine? I do not mind stepping outside to enjoy one of my many vices, but to have to walk down the stairs to get outside is a bit much. Thanks, T

Gringal

Apr 26, 2011, 12:55 PM

Post #6 of 10 (8507 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
They have an elevator.

T

Apr 26, 2011, 1:15 PM

Post #7 of 10 (8505 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] HOLE IN ONE Restaurant Review - San Antonio

| Private Reply
I have looked for the rumored elevator. Opened every door in the garage. Did not find an elevator. Went to up to the restaurant and searched for an elevator. Nothing. Have you ridden in this non-existent elevator? If so, what were you smoking at the time? Seriously, if this place does have an elevator, where the heck is it? I have a couple of physically handicapped friends who cannot go there. My handicap, as you have noticed, is mental, so I can handle the stairs just fine. T

Gringal

Apr 26, 2011, 1:42 PM

Post #8 of 10 (8497 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have never been there, but was told by a friend of its existence. May I suggest you ask whoever is in charge of operations where the elevator is?

I won't be hunting down the elevator for you since I have no desire to dine at a spot with zero ambiance, plastic chairs and occasionally glacial service......no matter what's being served. Since steak is not my favorite thing.........no loss.
If the "talented young chef" relocates to a spot where the normal dining out amenities are included........I will reconsider sampling his offerings. (Yes, John, I know you disagree. So be it.)

johninajijic

Apr 26, 2011, 2:30 PM

Post #9 of 10 (8481 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
T - I seriously doubt they allow smoking since it's a LAW - No Smoking in restaurants. No one can afford to get fined $ 20,000. pesos. They do allow dogs in the wide open space they have. That doesn't bother me.

They do NOT have an elevator otherwise my handicapped friends would have joined us.

Gringal - Your comment on ambiance, ie: no atmosphere. You don't eat the atmosphere. I would rather eat at an "excellent" restaurant than eat at one of Ajijic's "mediocre" restaurants with ambiance. Example: Ricki's Thai & Japanese restaurant, always excellent consistent food, most reasonable prices and no ambiance.

They won't miss the few people who don't go because of no ambiance. The place was full on Friday night by 7 PM.

How much ambiance do Ajijic restaurants have anyway?

Gringal

Apr 26, 2011, 2:57 PM

Post #10 of 10 (8465 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
No, John, you can't "eat ambiance". Rather insubstantial nutrition, at the least. (grin)

However, dining out is about more than simply eating. Suppose we compare the atmosphere at Laurent's with that of Hole in One or one of the Blue Tarp eateries on the road.
Food may be fine at all of those places, but the memorable experience will include the decor, the furnishings, etc. at Laurent's.
I want a little romance with my plate of food. Different strokes, si?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4