Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MexDog

May 14, 2011, 2:21 PM

Post #26 of 35 (10482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] driving from Merida to Border

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does she take the route West from Saltillo through Monclova and Nueva Rosa? Or does she turnoff close to Nuevo Laredo and follow the border up to the bridge?

About what speed is she driving to make it in 8-9 hours.

Thx!

chicois8

May 14, 2011, 2:50 PM

Post #27 of 35 (10475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MexDog] driving from Merida to Border

She said she follows along the boarder, she also said "convoy indeed"

It is 900km at 100 km per hour = 9 hours
900 km at 110 km per hour = 8:18 min.....

Do you use Ruta Punta a Punta? if not just Google it and it will help on this and future trips.........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

MexDog

May 14, 2011, 6:56 PM

Post #28 of 35 (10451 views)

Shortcut

Punta a Punta is terrific. Thanks for that!

I'm slightly confused though. Punta a punta defaults to the westerly route through Sabinas but the way I understand it, your girlfriend is taking the route straight to Laredo, then turning back west along the border. Is that correct? Has she taken both routes? Does she feel the border route is safer than the Punta a punta route through Sabinas?

Thanks again!

(This post was edited by MexDog on May 14, 2011, 6:57 PM)

chicois8

May 14, 2011, 7:22 PM

Post #29 of 35 (10440 views)

Shortcut

What we usually do is drive 110 east to 57, head north, along the boarder looking at all the containers, cross columbia 3, usually one car in front of us,no problems, then we head for san antonio,tx....2 more hours...easy
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

lichen

May 14, 2011, 7:33 PM

Post #30 of 35 (10438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dongringo_catemaco] driving from Merida to Border

How about the stretch from Veracruz to Tampico? Anyone aware of the security situation on this road and on 70 from Tampico to SLP?

dongringo_catemaco

May 15, 2011, 12:33 AM

Post #31 of 35 (10417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lichen] driving from Merida to Border

Lichen - VC to Tampico is a very busy safe highway except for corrupt cops in Tampico, and a pain to drive on a quarter of it. Tampico to Ciudad Valles is ok, also. I don`t know the CdV to SLP road.

Coming from the south, I would not take that route to SLP, unless I had other stops in mind.
Visit Catemaco News

Altahabana

May 15, 2011, 2:52 AM

Post #32 of 35 (10416 views)

Shortcut

The bridge you are referring to is Bridge #2, officially known as the Juarez--Lincoln Bridge. It is the larger of the two downtown bridges and the one used by most Mexicanos crossing to the US. The World Trade Bridge is only for commercial truck traffic and is about 6 miles upriver.

Columbia Bridge is a much revered crossing point in ex-pat circles so there is no point in doing a compare/contrast with the downtown bridges on security issues. Cross where you feel most comfortable. But I live in Nuevo Laredo, endorse your choice of bridge and will leave it at that.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on May 15, 2011, 3:33 AM)

MexDog

May 15, 2011, 1:16 PM

Post #33 of 35 (10369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] driving from Merida to Border

Thank you for the clarification on the World Trade Bridge. I assume then that means the new lanes that have been added are only helpful for truck traffic.

My point in trying to get a contrast/compare for Columbia vs going downtown is that the first time I took Columbia I ended up on very desolate roads south of the border after crossing. Possibly I took a wrong turn (I usually do). I'm just trying to ascertain if there is more traveled route to Columbia that would avoid driving alone out in the puckerbrush in that area. This leads to the question of whether the more westerly route via Sabinas, or the other one that hugs the border from just outside Laredo, would be the better, more traveled route to take to Columbia.

Altahabana

May 15, 2011, 5:34 PM

Post #34 of 35 (10350 views)

Shortcut

Most residents of Nuevo Laredo avoid Highway 2 to Piedras which includes the route you would take to get from the Autopista/Hwy 85 to the Columbia Bridge. I am not interested in getting into a debate over security issues on that road with people who roll through a few times a year and didn't see anything. Cross where you feel comfortable crossing.

It sounds like you may have made a right at the Hwy 2 junction after crossing at Columbia instead of left and then took the cutoff to Hwy 1 which has directional signage to Monterrey. That is an isolated stretch and leads to main Hwy1 which is the back road to Monterrey through Anahuac and Lampazos. The ex-pat route has people doubling back on Hwy 2 to Hwy 85 just north of interior Aduna/Immigration checkpoint.

Altahabana

May 20, 2011, 4:43 AM

Post #35 of 35 (10236 views)

Shortcut

This story illustrates the problems that exist on the west side of Nuevo Laredo and which cause local residents to avoid the Piedras highway. This is the third or fourth incident of this type that has occurred in the past seven or eight months in the area. Individual incidents happen regularly although they capture media interest and are reported by word of mouth.

Blockades, battles
One death, one arrest in gunfire Thursday in NL
By
Laredo Morning Times

Published: Friday, May 20, 2011 2:33 AM CDT

NUEVO LAREDO — A Thursday that started with one person shot dead in the early hours on the city’s west side continued through noon with gunbattles, injured military personnel, carjacking and blockades. A federal spokesman, who asked to remain anonymous, said two soldiers were being treated after having been shot. For this reason, military personnel were stationed around the hospital for security.

The “situation of risk,” as the municipal government called it on its Twitter and Facebook accounts, caused gunbattles between Mexican Army personnel and armed civilians. The federal spokesman confirmed pursuits and crossfire occurring along the Carretera Anahuac national highway and the neighborhoods of Villas de San Miguel, La Fe and Carretera Aeropuerto, among others.

Witness reports

According to witnesses, armed civilians inside two vehicles directed a group of about 25 teenagers to stop motorists traveling on Carretera Anahuac, on the stretch that runs from Calle Roma to Constitucion. Witnesses reported observing an ambulance and trucks loaded with soldiers traveling along Calle Maclovio Herrera toward the General Hospital. International commerce also was affected by the blockades. “Traffic was paralyzed for more than an hour,” said a truck driver who asked not to be identified. Because of the presence of violence around noon, schools near the west side of the city decided not to allow morning students to be released. The federal spokesman said he was not sure if anyone had been killed, though he did confirm the arrest of one of the armed civilians allegedly involved.

Authorities did confirm that the body of a man was found shortly after 1 a.m. Thursday on the base of the Cristobal Colon monument, located on the corner of Paseo Colon and Leandro Valle. According to the federal spokesman, it was the body of a soldier who had been beaten and shot in the head. The supposed killers left a message beside the soldier that translates to: “The families should be respected; they’re not responsible for the situation. He who owes should pay. The innocent should be respected. If you keep on messing with the families, we’ll also mess with you. From the top to the bottom, regardless of the level of authority.”

The victim’s body had not been identified as of late Thursday and was transferred to a local funeral home pending an autopsy, required by law.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on May 20, 2011, 4:47 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4