Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

T

Apr 11, 2011, 1:45 PM

Post #1 of 21 (5964 views)

Shortcut

For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

Can't Post | Private Reply
I cannot get enough of you expats who have lived here for 15 years or more. What a change in 15 years and what fun your stories are. Please, please share some of your experiences, so that us newcomers can live, learn, laugh and cry at your memories. T.

Zardoz

Apr 13, 2011, 6:54 PM

Post #2 of 21 (5820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

Is it true that the Carretera was gravel until the early 70s ??

Z

T

Apr 14, 2011, 6:03 PM

Post #3 of 21 (5711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

That would be fun to know. Two best books I read since I have been here are Village in the Sun aand I can't remember the other one. Shit Both about life in lakeside during the 40s and 50's and available at any bookstore or LCS library. Light reading, but very illuminating. A part that I do remember is that there was a time frame when one could only get from Ajijic to Chapala by boat, as the highway, whatever it was made of flooded out during the rainy season from Riberas to Mirasol. also about the first phone service here. One phone, in or near the Ajijic plaza and the amazing lines, and I think this was in the late seventies. Also, about spending a whole day trying to find food for dinner. I highly recomend it Z. Maybe someone will chime in with the name of the other book. T.

T

Apr 14, 2011, 6:16 PM

Post #4 of 21 (5704 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

Just guessing, but I bet it was just a dirt trail. Gravel? We do not even have it now. Would love to hear from folks who were here then, but that may be asking a lot, as there may not be many left. but that is why I posted this topic. To get their stories of life in earlier times whilel we can. T

mexicobuff

Apr 14, 2011, 9:15 PM

Post #5 of 21 (5683 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

House in the Sun and Village in the Sun, both by Dane Chandos--a pseudonym for the two men who actually wrote the books. The books are charming portrayals of life at Lakeside in the 1940s and should be must reading for anyone living there.
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

T

Apr 14, 2011, 9:37 PM

Post #6 of 21 (5681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicobuff] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

Thank you and agree with every word you wrote. T.

cookj5

Apr 16, 2011, 8:40 PM

Post #7 of 21 (5526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicobuff] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

Both "Village" books are good, plus "Dust on my heart" by Neill James, and "A visit to Don Otavio" by Sybill Bedford, all in the same time frame (1940s). D.H.Lawrence wrote "The Plumed Serpent" while living in a small hotel in Chapala, I believe in the 1920s.

A friend just lent me "Quilocho and the Dancing Stars", covering the period from 1900-mid-1930s. It was about La Rusa (The Russian Woman) an exotic figure still remembered by many who are old timers around here. She was a Russian/American ballet star and, with her dance parter Holger, came to Ajijic to operate a gold mine in the mountains overlooking Ajijic. Quilocho was their amazing mine manager who, among myriad other adventures, was Pancho Villa's youngest officer at 16 years old. La Rusa died in Chapala in the late 1980s. I actually was able to find their mine and the old gold mill where they crushed and processed the ore. Great story, but he book is out of print.

bournemouth

Apr 17, 2011, 6:30 AM

Post #8 of 21 (5482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

There are a couple of books by the artist Everett Gee Jackson that cover earlier and later years both in the Chapala area and other parts of Mexico. He lived and painted in Chapala/Ajijic in the 20's. returning for visits in the 50's/60's. Burros and Paintbrushes and It's a long road to Comondu, published by Texas A & M Press and available on the web, used, very cheaply. Enjoyable reads - La Rusa comes into the first book.

Quilocho and the Dancing Stars is also available on line at reasonable cost.

(This post was edited by bournemouth on Apr 17, 2011, 6:33 AM)

Bennie García

Apr 17, 2011, 7:53 AM

Post #9 of 21 (5458 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
A friend just lent me "Quilocho and the Dancing Stars", covering the period from 1900-mid-1930s.

I believe that book is a work of fiction.

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Apr 17, 2011, 10:23 AM)

mexicobuff

Apr 17, 2011, 10:10 AM

Post #10 of 21 (5433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

So are the two Dane Chandos books...as is the author, who was in fact two men, neither named Dane or Chandos.
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

cookj5

Apr 17, 2011, 10:10 PM

Post #11 of 21 (5358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

In Reply To

In Reply To
A friend just lent me "Quilocho and the Dancing Stars", covering the period from 1900-mid-1930s.

I believe that book is a work of fiction.

The author used a pseudonym, but was undoubtedly La Rusa herself, the ballet dancer. She was a real person and so were most of the other people in the book, because people still living here remember them. In fact, her picture, as well as Holger her dancing partner, and Quilocho the mine manager and other memorabilia are hanging on the walls of the restaurant at La Nueva Posada. The owner's mother knew La Rusa intimately. La Rusa probably took a considerable number of liberties in her writing, but I have been able to substantiate a great deal of the book.

Zardoz

Apr 18, 2011, 5:59 AM

Post #12 of 21 (5330 views)

Shortcut

Look at the west wall in the Nuevo Pasada for the La Rusa picture talked about.

Z

DavidHF

Apr 18, 2011, 7:46 AM

Post #13 of 21 (5298 views)

Shortcut

The fact that the authors used a "nom de plume" does not make the books works of fiction.

tonyburton

Apr 18, 2011, 8:17 AM

Post #14 of 21 (5290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

Very true!
FWIW, I consider that Quilocho and the Dancing Stars is an "embellishment of the truth", while both "Village in the Sun" and "House in the Sun" (the work of THREE people, as two different pairs, not the same two people) are "romanticizations of the truth."

If you are interested in the earlier history of the Chapala area, as seen through eyes of visitors from 1530 to 1910 (with commentary to highlight trends and describe the historical context), then consider begging, borrowing or buying a copy of my "Lake Chapala Through the Ages, an anthology of travellers' tales".

Bennie García

Apr 18, 2011, 9:32 AM

Post #15 of 21 (5270 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The fact that the authors used a "nom de plume" does not make the books works of fiction.

No one said they do.

Try to find any information on said "quilocho" as pertains the claim he was one of Villa's officers from a source other than this book.There is no mention of him in "The Life and Times of Pancho Villa" by Katz. Probably the most thorough biography of Villa.

Past residents were just as guilty as present residents when it came to "border promotions".

DavidHF

Apr 18, 2011, 12:07 PM

Post #16 of 21 (5244 views)

Shortcut

I was referring to the books by Dane Chandos and the comment from Mexicobuff that they were works of fiction.

mexicobuff

Apr 18, 2011, 2:48 PM

Post #17 of 21 (5217 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I was referring to the books by Dane Chandos and the comment from Mexicobuff that they were works of fiction.

But both House in the Sun and Village in the Sun ARE works of fiction. No one has ever claimed otherwise.

Many people also believe that 'Dane Chandos' was a real person who wrote those books. There was never a Dane Chandos.

DavidHF

Apr 18, 2011, 3:25 PM

Post #18 of 21 (5208 views)

Shortcut

Mexicobuff, I know that Dane Chandos was a nom de plume. As Tony says, they were written by 3 people. Personally I believe the books are more truth than fiction. Regardless, the estate where the authors lived is well known here.

mexicobuff

Apr 18, 2011, 3:51 PM

Post #19 of 21 (5202 views)

Shortcut

Yes, I have been to that property. The owner is an acquaintance of mine.

tashby

Apr 18, 2011, 6:10 PM

Post #20 of 21 (5185 views)

Shortcut

Okay. Out of curiosity, I'll ask where that property is since I just started reading "Village in the Sun". If you are willing to place it, even in a general sense, that'd be great.

Probably everyone knows this but just in case.... "Casa de la Rusa" is on Independencia in Ajijic. We met the current owners, a Canadian couple, who bought it not long ago. They're gently renovating some areas, and are decorating the house with some of the memorabilia that they've been able to aquire. The owner's are really interested in the history.

(This post was edited by tashby on Apr 18, 2011, 6:11 PM)

tonyburton

Apr 18, 2011, 6:36 PM

Post #21 of 21 (5175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] For those of you who have lived in lakeside for 15 years or more

Close to the western end of San Antonio Tlayacapan, fronting the lake.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4