Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

apgon

Apr 13, 2011, 7:09 AM

Post #1 of 25 (18512 views)

Shortcut

Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

Can't Post | Private Reply
I was wondering if in Cancun I can buy my own beer and bring it into a hostel that does not have a license to sell beer? Will the establishment be fined if I have my own beer in their fridge? Is there a "cork" or "Open bottle" Liquor License in Cancun? I know that if I stay in a hotel, most hotels have a liquor license, but I am not sure what happens in the case of a hostel or Bed and Breakfast if they are small and do not have a Liquor License.

I tried to search what types of liquor licenses are available in Cancun but could not find anything similar to what we have in the US for "buy your own"

Thanks for your help

APGON

mazbook1

Apr 13, 2011, 6:07 PM

Post #2 of 25 (18489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [apgon] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

I have no idea about Cancún, but here in Mazatlán there are many family restaurants (cenadurías) that have no beer, wine or liquor license. ALL of these welcome you if you bring your own, and for only a propina will ice it down and serve it to you. There doesn't seem to be any restrictive legislation banning this practice, at least in Mazatlán or Sinaloa.

Moderators take note: this should probably be moved to either the General forum or the Living, Working, Retiring forum.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Apr 13, 2011, 6:09 PM)

cbviajero

Apr 14, 2011, 7:45 AM

Post #3 of 25 (18431 views)

Shortcut

This gets my vote for silliest post of the day.
Chris

RickS

Apr 14, 2011, 9:28 AM

Post #4 of 25 (18386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

2nd that....

mazbook1

Apr 14, 2011, 12:24 PM

Post #5 of 25 (18365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

Actually, I thought it was quite a reasonable question, since laws of this type are strictly enforced in some places NOB.

prorader

Apr 14, 2011, 3:32 PM

Post #6 of 25 (18334 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

Try sitting on the sidewalk in front of your house with a can of beer in Colima

rockydog85251

Apr 14, 2011, 6:13 PM

Post #7 of 25 (18312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prorader] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

Colime state or city?
Willie

richmx2

Apr 14, 2011, 9:17 PM

Post #8 of 25 (18285 views)

Shortcut

I'll drink to that!

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

T

Apr 14, 2011, 10:07 PM

Post #9 of 25 (18279 views)

Shortcut

I have no response to your post, but find it so significant and important in the overall scheme of world life that it should remain on top of the posts, so that we all get a look at what is important in life to folks, as we watch the world fall apart. Enjoy your brew. T.

T

Apr 14, 2011, 10:09 PM

Post #10 of 25 (18277 views)

Shortcut

Second that emotion. T

T

Apr 14, 2011, 10:11 PM

Post #11 of 25 (18276 views)

Shortcut

OOOH. Puleeeze. We have met the idiot of the day. T.

T

Apr 14, 2011, 10:12 PM

Post #12 of 25 (18275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

thought I was second. Just moved to third. T.

T

Apr 14, 2011, 10:23 PM

Post #13 of 25 (18268 views)

Shortcut

I have no idea how to tell you how boring it gets when folks compare laws NOB with Mexico. No comparison, amigo. Get over it. T.

Bennie García

Apr 15, 2011, 5:56 AM

Post #14 of 25 (18254 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

wTf? Why so many posts to say nothing?

cbviajero

Apr 15, 2011, 7:42 AM

Post #15 of 25 (18230 views)

Shortcut

With all due respect we are talking about Mexico,(will the establishment be fined if they find my beer in their fridge),maybe if they found a key of coke,a couple of human heads and a grenade launcher in the fridge they might be fined depending on how well connected they are.I would be much more worried about the other guests stealing my beer.
Regards
Chris

chinagringo

Apr 15, 2011, 7:53 AM

Post #16 of 25 (18222 views)

Shortcut

"maybe if they found a key of coke,a couple of human heads and a grenade launcher in the fridge....."

Speaking of "human heads"in the fridge - a story out of Ixtlahuacan del Rio (not the Ixtlahuacan near Lake Chapala but the one north of Guadalajara) indicates that five human heads were found at an OXXO in the cooler:

http://www.blogdelnarco.com/...humanas-en.html#more
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

mexipat

Apr 17, 2011, 6:36 PM

Post #17 of 25 (18098 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Actually, I thought it was quite a reasonable question, since laws of this type are strictly enforced in some places NOB.

Where might that be? I've never been to a place here NOB where I can't have my own beer in the refrigerator.

robt65

Apr 17, 2011, 8:07 PM

Post #18 of 25 (18077 views)

Shortcut

I thought also the original question of the post was informative. I have on occasion (as I do not drink much at all) wondering if it would be possible to order a bottle of wine, a mixed drink or a beer to have with a meal or for that matter on its own. Not all restaurants post an outside menu where you can see if they sI know also in many "Hostels" in different countries that any alcoholic beverage is not allowed as a matter of policy. I also know that in Texas and some other states many "clubs" also allow a "BYOB" and will serve it (for a charge) as they only have a serve license and not a sell license. so yes, IMHO it was a valid question. I was hoping to learn something . . . . . . that is the sad part of this posting . . . . . . nothing in the way of a positive answer was provided.

I also agree very much with Benny Garcia. What the # were all these five or six responses meant to be? What a waste of time and space. Nothing relative to the OP at all.

T grow up and contribute to the question or posting at hand and please do not waste the time with superfluous answers or remarks.
Thanks
Robt65

richmx2

Apr 17, 2011, 11:38 PM

Post #19 of 25 (18056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

Nice to see someone is keeping a cool head... or, in this case, heads.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

apgon

Apr 20, 2011, 12:50 PM

Post #20 of 25 (17951 views)

Shortcut

Sorry if it offended some or some thought this was a silly question - it so happens that I did buy a few beers and kept them in the client fridge of the hostel I stayed at in Cancun. The Hostel owner and employees were very nice and did not charge me a "serving or cooling fee" however the following day a "Liquor Inspector" did visit the hostel and although I explained it was my own beer (and other clients had done the same) they "fined" the establishment for having alcohol on premises.....

I feel horrible for this and offered to give some money to the owner to help out with the fine. I still do not have the answer though about the existence or not of a BYOB Permit in Cancun as the owner did not know about it and had never thought he could have been penalized for allowing his customers to store their drinks in the client fridge.

Marlene

Apr 21, 2011, 12:06 PM

Post #21 of 25 (17875 views)

Shortcut

Interesting. I wonder what would suddenly bring a liquor inspector to visit a hostel. Maybe there is some history there that current guests are unaware of. In our neck of the woods they usually use their time to patrol places with licenses (or lapsed licenses) and try to catch them violating their permitted hours or selling to underage. Did you happen to see the paperwork and what the fine amount was? Did he collect it on the spot?

joaquinx

Apr 21, 2011, 12:09 PM

Post #22 of 25 (17872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

These are very good questions. I, for one, await the reply.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

cbviajero

Apr 22, 2011, 8:24 AM

Post #23 of 25 (17791 views)

Shortcut

What an amazing coincidence,kinda hard to believe,either way I'm no longer interested in visiting Cancun,maybe I'll check out some of the beaches in Zacatecas I hear they are lovely this time of year.
Chris

mexipat

Apr 25, 2011, 5:05 PM

Post #24 of 25 (17647 views)

Shortcut

I'm betting you arent going to give us the name of that hostel.

apgon

Apr 26, 2011, 7:19 PM

Post #25 of 25 (17527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Alcohol "buy your own" in Cancun and drink at hostel

Yes I saw the inspector and I saw him asking for money and actually claim he could close the hostel on the spot unless the hostel manager paid him on the spot - it seems strange way of handling business, but from what I heard this hostel had never been visited by a liquor license inspector and and they did not really know that they needed a license if their clients bought beers and consumed them on premises. Why do you think it is strange that a liquor inspector visits a lodging place? Some do have liquor licenses as they serve meals on site. This particular one does not have a restaurant or cafe on site and includes breakfast but we cook our own and they supply the various ingredients needed.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4