Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

kimi

Apr 11, 2011, 11:00 AM

Post #1 of 13 (11728 views)

Shortcut

is mazatlan nice place to live?

Can't Post | Private Reply
am looking for nothing but swimming. is mazatlan a decent, safe place to live? presently live in oaxaca state. my needs are few; inexpensive long-term rental, room, studio or 1BR apt. with WiFi, $4000- $4500 pesos/month or less.

mazbook1

Apr 11, 2011, 9:36 PM

Post #2 of 13 (11682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimi] is mazatlan nice place to live?

easy, peasy, kimi. Do some research, but ALL your wants can be met in Mazatlán. ¡Bienvenidos!

richmx2

Apr 12, 2011, 12:44 AM

Post #3 of 13 (11675 views)

Shortcut

Kimi... it's kind of a broad question, but as to your housing needs, I sent you a "private message".

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Marlene / Moderator

Apr 14, 2011, 8:15 AM

Post #4 of 13 (11594 views)

Shortcut

I think you would really like Mazatlan, especially if you love the water. The beaches are beautiful. There is a good variety of rentals to choose from, especially at this time of year with the winter snowbirds heading north. It's hot in the summer, but there is a generous electricity subsidy for 6 months, which keeps costs for air conditioner and fan use, reasonable. An added bonus is the people of this city are some of the nicest you could meet in the entire world. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

mexliving

Apr 15, 2011, 3:06 PM

Post #5 of 13 (11519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] is mazatlan nice place to live?

everytime i am in mazatlan i simply think how beautifull of a place it is.... i do know it gets very hot in the summer months but i wish i could live there...

Casa

Apr 15, 2011, 6:10 PM

Post #6 of 13 (11493 views)

Shortcut

Did you already see this post I think it is good and honest

mazbook1

Apr 15, 2011, 7:25 PM

Post #7 of 13 (11484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] is mazatlan nice place to live?

It is honest! It tells why this person couldn't adapt to living in México, nothing to do with Mazatlán. At least he was honest enough to admit that it was his (and his wife's) attitude and preferred lifestyle that was the problem, and rather than becoming a sorehead, México basher that so often happens with folks in the same circumstance he told it like it was. They found that the differences were just too great, so they are going home to Canada. More power to him and his wife.

I was just the opposite. The longer I lived in Mazatlán the less I enjoyed my necessary annual two week business trip NOB, and became more and more anxious to get HOME to México. Thankfully, a few years back I was able to bring those business matters to a close, courtesy DHL, YahooMail, Hotmail and Prodigy Infinitum. I was over-the-top happy when I found I could handle it all from my computer IN MÉXICO! It would take a team of wild horses to drag me NOB now.

davidkrug

Aug 30, 2011, 11:28 AM

Post #8 of 13 (10549 views)

Shortcut

Kimi,
Not sure if you have made it to Mazatlan. But there's a little bit of everything here for you. If you like golfing you can have it. If you like restaurants you can have a nice selection. Even some nice european style pubs too.

The people are very diverse from the expats living here to the locals there's a lot of diversity.

What specifically were you looking to know about Mazatlan ?

Retirement: World's longest coffee break. ~Author Unknown
Visit Me Online at: DavidKrug.org

mazbook1

Aug 30, 2011, 3:20 PM

Post #9 of 13 (10522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidkrug] is mazatlan nice place to live?

I started coming to the west coast (San Blas, Nayarit and north) way back in 1970, then I finally settled on Mazatlán as my destination of choice in 1993. After several trips to Mazatlán (2 per year), I so fell in love with it that in 1997 I took an early retirement, moved to Mazatlán, started a business and have been here ever since. I can highly recommend Mazatlán to anyone wishing to relocate to México who wants the finest, cleanest beaches in México and locals who aren't completely "touristed" out, i.e., still having that only in México friendliness and acceptance of foreigners.

robt65

Oct 30, 2011, 7:05 AM

Post #10 of 13 (9804 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] is mazatlan nice place to live?

Good Morning Marlene,

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned . . . . "It's hot in the summer, but there is a generous electricity subsidy for 6 months, which keeps costs for air conditioner and fan use, reasonable." Approximate what size house (i.e. sq. footage and or one or two floors) do you live in? What would the average costs per every two months of electric run you? Does that subsidy run the length of Baja or just in Mazatlan area? Sure wish that same electric subsidy would be available here in the San Juan del Rio area of Queretaro during the hotter summer months. I am very grateful we have a pretty constant breeze and hardly any humidity. If those questions are too personal and you choose not to devulge the answers, don’t bother replying. I was just was wondering. by the way . . . .yes, I am aware the OP and responses were from several months and earlier.

Thanks,
robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Oct 30, 2011, 7:09 AM)

richmx2

Oct 31, 2011, 2:43 AM

Post #11 of 13 (9742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] is mazatlan nice place to live?

Um... Robert... Mazaltán in in Sinaloa, not on the Baja.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

robt65

Oct 31, 2011, 8:05 AM

Post #12 of 13 (9721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] is mazatlan nice place to live?

Good Morning richmex2,

Dummy me! Big typo on my part for sure!!! Of course it's too late to edit, and that just goes to prove to those who wonder . . . . . no I cannot walk on water without getting wet right up to you know where! That's what happens to an old man who can't sleep from the "Gripa" and gets up at 4:30 in the morning and can't go back to sleep so he reads all the posts possible on Mex Connect. Thanks to all who didn't bring that to my attention, and thanks to you richmex2 who did in a good way. So tell me how is it really in that "neck of the woods", especially CFE wise? If you can by pass my dummy mistake about Baja and fill in the rest I would appreciat it. Just trying to learn a bit more about that area.

Thanks

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Oct 31, 2011, 8:07 AM)

mazbook1

Oct 31, 2011, 6:35 PM

Post #13 of 13 (9678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] is mazatlan nice place to live?

Robert, no one can really answer your question about electric bills without knowing a LOT more about your lifestyle. To see what CFE charges in the municipio de Mazatlán, you can go to this web page:

http://www.cfe.gob.mx/.../Conocetutarifa.aspx

then scroll down to the bottom, choose the year you want, then click on the tariff 1D. Once you are on this next page, you enter the month summer begins in the first block (Mayo for Mazatlán), then you can see the CFE billing rates for each month of the year you choose in the next block. The direct to consumer subsidy (apoyo gobiernos) amounts to, very roughly, 19% of the total bill including IVA (22% of the bill before the IVA is added). However, this was computed from my small house that has no air-conditioning, so for heavier users, it could be higher, I just don't know.

The BIG pitfall for many gringos is getting themselves into the DAC (Domesticas de Alto Consumo) tariff, which means you consume a twelve-month average of 1,000 Kwh or more per month (in the tariff 1D areas). This is a truly sort of "punitive" tariff, as it is significantly higher than even the consumo excedente tariff for those who don't use this much electricity, AND you lose ALL consumer direct subsidies ALSO. Those who have fallen into this trap tell me that it's a b*tch to drop the electrical use enough to get that 12 month average back below the 1,000 Kwh level.

Now you have all you need to know to figure your personal cost of electricity in Mazatlán (or any other municipio in México if you know what the CFE tariff code is).

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4