Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

kimi

Apr 11, 2011, 10:47 AM

Post #1 of 19 (8162 views)

Shortcut

is Manzanillo a nice place?

Can't Post | Private Reply
am looking for nothing but swimming. is manzanillo a decent, safe place to live? presently live in oaxaca state. my needs are few; inexpensive long-term rental, room, studio or 1BR apt. with WiFi, $4000- $4500 pesos/month or less.

Rolly

Apr 11, 2011, 11:00 AM

Post #2 of 19 (8141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimi] is Manzanillo a nice place?

I like Manzanillo very much. Here is my view of MZ.
It's several years old, but it gives an idea of the city.

Rolly Pirate

sparks

Apr 11, 2011, 5:42 PM

Post #3 of 19 (8084 views)

Shortcut

Since Telmex includes a phone and Internet (1meg) for $395mx it's pretty easy to add that to your rent. I'm sure you could find a place for $4000 if you sign a lease and are willing to look for awhile.

Swimming beaches will be on the north end, Santiago Bay but not without surf. Playa de la Boquita on the north end of Santiago Bay is pretty calm and there are some dive spots near.

Manzanillo is modern and becoming more of a tourist destination. All of Colima has a better infrastructure than most of Mexico, roads, hospitals and Universities

My Manzanillo Blog
http://sparks-manzanillo.blogspot.com/

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Bennie García

Apr 11, 2011, 5:49 PM

Post #4 of 19 (8079 views)

Shortcut

Manzanillo is a dump, to put it bluntly. Many days the smog is worse than you will find in larger cities. The beaches are so so. Ships illegally pump their bilges so you might get small globs of oil dirtying them up.

sparks

Apr 11, 2011, 6:36 PM

Post #5 of 19 (8067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] is Manzanillo a nice place?

Think new gas plant Bennie

mexicobuff

Apr 11, 2011, 7:21 PM

Post #6 of 19 (8053 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Manzanillo is a dump, to put it bluntly. Many days the smog is worse than you will find in larger cities. The beaches are so so. Ships illegally pump their bilges so you might get small globs of oil dirtying them up.

Amen.
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

Bennie García

Apr 11, 2011, 8:18 PM

Post #7 of 19 (8038 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] is Manzanillo a nice place?

In Reply To
Think new gas plant Bennie

I have been watching them work on it for years. Think again.

As my old baseball coach used to say: "Don-t give me excuses, give me results"

Besides, it will still be a dump.

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Apr 11, 2011, 8:19 PM)

santiagostan

Apr 12, 2011, 6:12 AM

Post #8 of 19 (8005 views)

Shortcut

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have lived in Santiago full-time for over 4 years and love it. Yes the power plant is an issue, yes it is being worked on, yes the end is in sight.

Since Scott knows Bennie, I am assuming that Bennie lives in Melaque/Barra area. And I personally don't like that area and would never live there. But if you are looking for an Ajijic like experience on the coast, where spanish is optional, then it is the place to go.

It depends on what you like, not what others like.

jerezano

Apr 12, 2011, 7:44 AM

Post #9 of 19 (7982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [santiagostan] is Manzanillo a nice place?/La Manzanilla-El Manzanillo

Hello all,

I can't help but think that perhaps some of our posters have confused the two locations. I haven't been in either location for years but while I didn't like the busy industrial port of Manzanillo I was really impressed with La Manzanilla as a location. True I wasn't too happy with the beach on Santiago bay because the swimming area was just too small near town. And the far side of the bay, at the time I was there while beautiful was almost abandoned.

Since that time I understand that La Manzanilla has had an influx of wealthy people and the town itself has changed from a rather small fishing village to a tourist resort.

Manzanillio is a large city with a lagoon, industry, sea port and all that goes with it. La Manzanilla as I remember it, is a small town to the north of and west of Barra de Navidad and Melaque. To get to it from Melaque one needs to go over the mountain to the Santiago Bay and there it is, just on the South side of Santiago Bay. With the on coast breezes it would seem difficult for La Manzanilla to have smog, Manzanillo, on the other hand, as one of our early posters has pointed uut, could be quite smoggy. I wouldn't know.

Would I recommend living in El Manzanillo? No, I wouldn't. For me it is too large and industrial. Would I recommend living in Barra de Navidad? Perhaps, because of the creature comforts (bookstores, restaurants, deluxe hotels nearby and the constant influx of wealthy yachts), etc. Would I recommend living in nearaby Melaque (walking distance on the beach)? Absolutely. And from what I remember, would I recommend living in La Manzanilla? Yes, but then perhaps all those wealthy new residents have changed it so much that I would no longer like to live there.

Hasta luego, jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Apr 12, 2011, 7:50 AM)

bournemouth

Apr 12, 2011, 8:31 AM

Post #10 of 19 (7967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] is Manzanillo a nice place?/La Manzanilla-El Manzanillo

Now - we like Manzanillo, smog and all - it's a real, live, working and thriving town with a tourist component - rather than being a tourist town with a few locals thrown in to make you feel you are actually in Mexico. Once in awhile the wind blows the other way, taking the smoke from the CFE plant away from town and you can see how gorgeous it is going to be when the gas plant is finished and CFE no longer burns #6 diesel fuel.

Construction is well under way on the new gas plant and we look forward to it being up and running.

All of this is a bit away from the OP's question - but Kimi, try it, you might like it.

Bennie García

Apr 12, 2011, 9:23 AM

Post #11 of 19 (7944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [santiagostan] is Manzanillo a nice place?

In Reply To
Since Scott knows Bennie, I am assuming that Bennie lives in Melaque/Barra area..

You know the old saying about the word assume don't you?

Bennie García

Apr 12, 2011, 9:26 AM

Post #12 of 19 (7942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] is Manzanillo a nice place?/La Manzanilla-El Manzanillo

In Reply To
rather than being a tourist town with a few locals thrown in to make you feel you are actually in Mexico.

If I am not mistaken.you live in the Chapala area which probably has the most foreign residents of anyplace in Mexico. But even there the Mexicans far outnumber the foreigners, including the high season. I'd like to know where these towns are that you speak of.

sparks

Apr 12, 2011, 4:24 PM

Post #13 of 19 (7896 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Since Scott knows Bennie, I am assuming that Bennie lives in Melaque/Barra area..

You know the old saying about the word assume don't you?

Well I don't 'know' Bennie but suspect he is a person of multiple handles over the years that I've had interactions with. He may even own property in Barra but lives/works in the highlands.

If I wanted to live closer to a big city in this area I think the Santiago side of Manzanillo would fit me best. Still has a town of it's own feeling. On the other hand it's hard to beat the feel of the beaches in the Melaque area (small, protected and more personal than Manzanillo).

La Manzanilla is another issue. It seems like a rich hippie sub-culture that basically closes for the summer. Beaches are not as nice, fewer restaurants after the gringos leave. Don't like to have to drive 1/2 hour to an ATM or bank, etc.

Melaque and Barra areas are fine with me but growing

N2Futur

Apr 16, 2011, 9:15 AM

Post #14 of 19 (7724 views)

Shortcut

instead of Manzanillo, you might want to try a smaller town, like Melaque. The beach here is great for swimming. Our neighbors have a upstairs studio casita that they rent out in your price range. Incl. electric, WiFi, gas, etc. - 1 Block from the beach.

Elke

Mexberry

Apr 30, 2011, 7:57 AM

Post #15 of 19 (7401 views)

Shortcut

Yes Kimi, Manzanillo is a pleasant place! The better parts, for us anyway, are the northern area around Santiago Bay. Club Santiago is one of the more pleasant spots that we have stayed in during our many trips to the west coast. The medical facilities are ok, with the better hospitals and shopping for that matter in Colima.
Mexberry.

karfest

May 2, 2011, 2:08 PM

Post #16 of 19 (7294 views)

Shortcut

We live in Manzanillo (technically we're in Miramar) for part of the year and we like it. I wouldn't recommend living in the port area of Manzanillo, but as others have said, the Santiago area is very nice. It's quiet (except for a few weeks out of the year) and it is just a matter of minutes to the city if you need Dominos, Wal-Mart, Burger King, etc. However, we find pretty much everything we need within walking distance and rarely venture out!

There are many positives about living here that outweigh the power plant and fingers are crossed that it will be converted soon!
Karen
Follow my blog: http://vivalavida-karen.blogspot.com/

cookj5

Jun 11, 2011, 5:25 PM

Post #17 of 19 (6619 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
am looking for nothing but swimming. is manzanillo a decent, safe place to live? presently live in oaxaca state. my needs are few; inexpensive long-term rental, room, studio or 1BR apt. with WiFi, $4000- $4500 pesos/month or less.

Kimi- We vacationed in Manzanillo, and found it charming. It doesn't have the gloss and glitz of a Puerto Vallarta, but to my sensibility, that is in its favor. It is a real operating seaport and a small city, unlike places like La Manzanilla, or Melaque/Barra de Navidad which are really just small beach resort villages. The upside is that there is more life and activity and places where you can do things and get what you might need. The downside is that it is more crowded with all that brings with it. To get a feel for Manzanillo, here is a series of postings about it on my photo-journal blog, "Jim and Carole's Mexico Adventure":

http://cookjmex.blogspot.com/search/label/Manzanillo

Sorry the link is not live. I am not smart enough to figure out the process to do it on this forum. There are 4 posts in the series, beginning with Part 4. Just scroll down to part 1 if you like or start at #4 and work back. Each part stands on its own, so either way will work.

Buena suerte with you decision!

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 11, 2011, 6:54 PM)

BobC

Jun 12, 2011, 6:21 AM

Post #18 of 19 (6547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] is Manzanillo a nice place?

Actually, the link was live! And thanks so much--I really enjoyed the blog!

Bob

jeffstevenson

Jun 21, 2011, 6:35 AM

Post #19 of 19 (6263 views)

Shortcut

Hi,
We've been going to or living in the Manzanillo area for 13 years. It's beautiful! We live on the Peninsula de Jualapan. As far as rent goes. I'm not sure about that price but internet vial DSL is 642pesos mthly with a landline. I really enjoy living there and have always felt very safe. Everything I need is available in the Santiago market or close by.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4