Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altahabana

Apr 15, 2011, 10:49 AM

Post #26 of 40 (10237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] If You were Driving This Week

Can't Post | Private Reply
You described the short time you traveled from the intersection of Highway 85/2 to the Columbia Bridge as uneventful. Fine. If the purpose of starting this thread though was to make some broader point about highway safety/security along the Tamaulipas border, it has little value. I said there are problems related to narco activity out there regularly, a far cry from saying that something bad is going to happen to anyone who chooses to use that crossing. If you don't want to believe that there are problems out there believe that. My advice was offered to Robert in any event.

Some people swear by Columbia because for them they perceive it as a more convenient option. The relative convenience is debatable in my opinion and pretty subjective, but the decision to use it for convenience is not unreasonable and I won't argue with someone who uses the Columbia crossing because they think it convenient. But whether the use of that highway poses some increased risk because of the narco insurgency is not nearly as subjective a subject. That is why I made my 40 minute glimpse comment. I don't see how that brief glimpse could be the basis for any conclusions about secrurity/safey on that road, much less an opinion that it is safe/secure.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Apr 15, 2011, 3:15 PM)

robt65

Apr 15, 2011, 1:00 PM

Post #27 of 40 (10208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] If You were Driving This Week

Hello All,
Both last night and today the local (Spanish and English) television stations have been reporting From interviewing the Chief of Police Office in Reynosa, the local (Spanish and English language) both the state and federal police as well as the army are going to have all available personnel out in force during the holidays. Although not mentioned in this particular story the same was said about the highway between Reynosa and Monterrey. This should be a big help, I think.
http://www.krgv.com/...tG0yUusKTyvG4FQ.cspx
What I personally do not like about the Reynosa route to Monterrey are the very long and desolate stretches’ without any gas stations or other businesses before reaching the more populated areas south of Monterrey. It is too easy to access the cuota with a four wheel drive vehicle. It is also very expensive, especially pulling a trailer. What I do like is the really good Fronteria services all located in one building as well as the simple and more or less direct way to the connecting cuotas to Queretaro.
Robt65

Reefhound

Apr 15, 2011, 1:09 PM

Post #28 of 40 (10202 views)

Shortcut

I think the tone of his posts was that something bad *could* happen.

Even on the most dangerous highways in the world, the vast majority of travelers make it without any problem. Are you of the belief that there is no such thing as a excessively dangerous highway in the world? If not, name a highway you consider to be dangerous.

It comes down to what one considers acceptable risk versus reward. If you told me I have a 90% chance of winning a poker hand, I'm absolutely all in. But if you tell me I have a 90% chance of driving a road and nothing bad happening, I'm avoiding that road if I have a safer alternative. A 10% risk on a drive is simply unacceptable. Even a 1% risk or a 0.1% risk, when the standard of safety for most roads requires a decimal followed by lots of zeroes.

Rob, just to add to Altahabana's directions to the cuota, once you pass the interior checkpoint it's a fairly short distance, maybe 10 km or so, and the road makes a Y with the libre going off to the right and the cuota to the left. Just a heads up, because sometimes a lot of traffic, especially truckers, is going right.And the old highway was there first so the libre looks directionally straight while the cuota looks life a left lane exit. See this street view.

donemry

Apr 16, 2011, 6:50 AM

Post #29 of 40 (10146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] If You were Driving This Week

Gee, there is far more drama form reporting that I had no issues crossing at Colombia than the actual crossing itself. I made no claims, I just reported my experience as fact.

RickS

Apr 18, 2011, 10:57 AM

Post #30 of 40 (10035 views)

Shortcut

I for one did not see any 'snarkiness' in Altahabana's post. I suppose it depends somewhat on the 'thickness of one's skin (coming from a thin-skinned person!) and whether or not the post was directed at me or someone else.

But at the end of the day, what I think we have here is a person (Altahabana) who lives/works/and has numerous friends and business partners in that part of the country. As such his information and advice is golden to me, not only due to what he writes but 'how' he writes it.

On the other hand there are 'many' travelers who take the roads of which he speaks with little or no consequences. And somebody is doing this on a daily basis.

I just don't want to be the one who 'takes the chance' and does pay the consequence with either my life or my assets. Yes, indeed, YMMV. It's just that I've already got 70 years on 'my mileage' and I tend to want to err on the side of caution.

robt65

Apr 21, 2011, 6:58 PM

Post #31 of 40 (9894 views)

Shortcut

Road Update from McAllen Area to Queretaro Area

My friend John and his daughter just left Harlingen this morning at 8:30 AM crossing at Mission, Texas crossing at the Anzalduas Bridge. They arrived at our home near San Juan del Rio at about 8:30 PM this evening. He tells me the drive was good with a lot of federales and military presence some checkpoints and all was well.This is good to know.

robt65

Reefhound

Apr 21, 2011, 8:22 PM

Post #32 of 40 (9880 views)

Shortcut

Can they be sure they were really federales and military? Don't the narcos often set up checkpoints disguised as cops and military?

Sometimes I wonder if all the military checkpoints don't do more harm than good. They get people used to seeing checkpoints and create an environment where the narco roadblocks can blend in. I'm sure the narcos spot the real ones and spread the word within minutes of it being set up. I'd rather see those resources used in patrolling the highways randomly.

What if the govt said something like "we will NEVER have a checkpoint on Mx57. If you see one, it's the bad guys. Stop and turn around and report it."

robt65

Apr 22, 2011, 3:31 PM

Post #33 of 40 (9796 views)

Shortcut

This PM sent to me by my friend Panamajohn and his daughter, who left Harlingen, Texas Thursday (yesterday) via the Mission crossing and went to my home in San Juan del Rio last night. It was about a 12 hour trip all in all. Here is road report for me, as I am leaving Mission on Sunday or Monday for San Juan del Rio as I received the clearance from both eye surgeons today. The Tahoe engine and drive line yoke as well as a brake switch is repaired, now to do a washing and pack some things in the trailer. It's good to be headed home.

Panamajohns report to me.

Re:
Date Sent:
Apr 22, 2011, 2:57 PM
Rob; Thank your wife for the hospitality and excellent food. I'm sorry about not staying overnight, give my apologies to Jimena. We spent the night in Tula and arrived here in Cordoba at 11:00 am today. Take it easy on your trip and don't worry, everything will work out fine. I saw military convoys all the way to Cordoba Veracruz. So they are out there protecting the people.We leave here at 4:30 am tomorrow by bus to the Mex. airport and will be in Santiago, Panama tomorrow night. Happy Easter and have a safe trip. John

robt65

Apr 27, 2011, 5:02 PM

Post #34 of 40 (9589 views)

Shortcut

Hey Reefhound,

Yes he knows the difference, he is pretty savvy. He has lived many years in Mexico and a couple of other Latin American countries. He can smell the difference!

Robt65

Vichil

Apr 27, 2011, 5:07 PM

Post #35 of 40 (9587 views)

Shortcut

Mexico is beefing up the Southern border according to the papers down here in Chiapas and convoys are coming in from many different areas.
Military convoys is a usual sight when we go through Vera Cruz, Tabasco and Chiapas...nothing unusual.

turnabout

Apr 28, 2011, 7:17 AM

Post #36 of 40 (9521 views)

Shortcut

You, once again, are completly wacked. suggesting that checkpoints are narcos and to turn a run is the thoughts of an unstable person who tries to submit their irrational thoughts onto unknowning readers. Not everyone reads this forum everyday, some people are new to the forum and have yet to determine that your "reality" is just that. Are you willing to take responsibility for someone who ran from a check point and was killed after reading your post.

esperanza

Apr 28, 2011, 7:31 AM

Post #37 of 40 (9514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [turnabout] If You were Driving This Week

What if the govt said something like "we will NEVER have a checkpoint on Mx57. If you see one, it's the bad guys. Stop and turn around and report it."

Turnabout, if you look carefully at what Reefhound said, he proposed a theoretical statement from the Mexican government, prefaced by carefully saying "what if". He did not suggest that "checkpoints are narcos" (although certainly false checkpoints [narcoretenes] have been well documented in both the Mexican and foreign press) and he did not suggest that anyone turn and run.

Reefhound gives clear and accurate news from the Mexico/USA border area. Anyone reading Mexconnect would be well advised to read them closely.

And yes, folks, I'm back.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Reefhound

Apr 28, 2011, 8:44 AM

Post #38 of 40 (9493 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] If You were Driving This Week

Thanks for sparing me from a thread-locking reply. ;-)

I believe I stated about two years ago that I would be inclined to not stop for a suspicious checkpoint. I amended that position clearly. I have stated numerous times recently that I will not advise anyone whether they should stop or flee. There is no procedure that ensures a safe outcome. Too many variables. People have stopped and been killed, people have ran and been killed, people have stopped and lived, people have ran and lived. Many believe that your odds are better to stop and I don't contest that. I would probably stop myself. Anyone that plans to flee though should be aware the gun men are not bluffing.

tonyburton

Apr 28, 2011, 8:50 AM

Post #39 of 40 (9488 views)

Shortcut

Welcome back!!
The Forums will certainly benefit (as previously) from your sage advice, guidance and experience. Thanks! Tony

robt65

Apr 28, 2011, 9:28 AM

Post #40 of 40 (9468 views)

Shortcut

Hi Esperanza,

It sure is good to see you back here again. I have missed your insight on many topics. I hope all is well.

robt65
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4