Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

robt65

Apr 2, 2011, 5:03 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6207 views)

Shortcut

High Altitude Along the Hwy 57 Cuota from Monterrey to San Jaun del Rio, Queretaro

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi All,

OK the VA hijacked me! Again! I was all packed and ready to hitch up the trailer as I went to my final (previous) cataract surgery exam on Monday. By Thursday afternoon, again as I lay on the table I was really annoyed. I had to have emergency detached retina surgery, as a result of coming awake on the table during the previous surgery, due to them giving me the incorrect anesthesia. I never saw the VA act so fast to get a surgery booked!
Anyway, it appears during the detached retina surgery, they had to use something called a buckle and a gas bubble. Therein lays the problem. Evidently, I cannot fly or drive at high altitudes for four to six weeks until this dang gas bubble naturally dissipates. To do otherwise can have some dire consequences . . . . . . . so I have been hijacked . . . . . again!

My concern is driving from South of Monterrey to highway 57 (quota). If I recall there are numerous mountain crossings that are well above 6000 to 9000 foot above sea level. Am I correct in this assumption? Does anyone actually know the various altitudes along the way? I never figured I would need to know this little tidbit of information. I believe that the average altitude would be around 6000 to 6500 foot south of Monterrey with a few spots of 6500 to maybe 9000 foot above sea level. Would that be about right? Does anyone know? Thanks for any input on this.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Apr 2, 2011, 10:12 PM)

chinagringo

Apr 2, 2011, 5:28 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] High Altitude Along the Hy 57 Cuota from Monterrey to San Jaun del Rio, Queretaro

I thought maybe Google Maps might provide the type of info you are asking for but altitude info seems to be limited. I did find a RV oriented site called Mile by Mile.com that seems to provide such info. For example, here is a link to map and chart for the highway between San Luis Potosi and Queretaro:
http://www.milebymile.com/...p_travel_guides.html
It will take a bit of work on this site to get the complete picture but we know you have time on your hands while rehabbing. It looks like they provide mile by mile or km by km altitude readings the length of the route.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

Apr 2, 2011, 6:09 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] High Altitude Along the Hy 57 Cuota from Monterrey to San Jaun del Rio, Queretaro

Thanks chinagringo,

That is a big help. That's perfect. Now how did you find that?!?!?!?! How do I find the same figures for the portion of the trip from Monterrey to San Luis Potosi?

robt65

chinagringo

Apr 2, 2011, 6:18 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] High Altitude Along the Hy 57 Cuota from Monterrey to San Jaun del Rio, Queretaro

Pure dumb luck with the right choice of words for a Google search!

The following link will take you to the main page for all of Mexico and you can choose routes by State:
http://www.milebymile.com/...p_travel_guides.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

Apr 2, 2011, 6:33 PM

Post #5 of 7 (6189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] High Altitude Along the Hy 57 Cuota from Monterrey to San Jaun del Rio, Queretaro

Hey Chinagringo,

Got it. That was a piece of cake. What a grate and informative map. Thanks for the heads up.

robt65

Reefhound

Apr 2, 2011, 8:40 PM

Post #6 of 7 (6171 views)

Shortcut

What did your doctors say specifically? Can you call them and ask?

In scuba, there is a general rule against flying after diving for generally 18-24 hours. The interior of a plane is pressurized to an "altitude" of about 8000 feet. Dives made at elevations over 1000 feet are considered "altitude" dives.

But the real issue is your change in altitude. As you increase altitude, gasses will expand and clearly you don't want a bubble expanding to the point it ruptures capillaries or other tissues. However, your greatest altitudes are actually where you are, no? All around Queretaro is over 6000 feet. I show San Juan del Rio at over 6300 feet so you already are at altitude. It doesn't look to me that you will be ascending much if any.

Edit: upon closer reading, it appears you are in the U.S. right now? In that case, you have a problem. Definitely consult your doctors. You might be able to do it in small bites (consult your doctor) by going to Monclova (2000 feet) and spending a day or two, then on to Ramos Arizpe (4500 feet) for a day or two, then on to home. Same principle as slow ascents and decompression stops in diving. This has to be a relatively common issue, perhaps there is a way to "vent" the bubble if it is necessary.

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Apr 2, 2011, 8:47 PM)

robt65

Apr 2, 2011, 10:11 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] High Altitude Along the Hy 57 Cuota from Monterrey to San Jaun del Rio, Queretaro

Hi Reefhound,

I didn't think to equate the dive to the (decompression (if you will) Same thing though. Your right gases expand and there in lays the problem. You are correct about the altitude in San Juan del Rio, Queretaro. In fact there are a couple of spots along the way that appear to be in the 7000 to 7300 foot range. I did find a graph that medically sets 5000 as "high altitude".

As far as venting the gas bubble for compensation, after so many needles in my eye already, I am not up to that anymore! My head about blasted off the other night when the local anesthetic wore off. As I recall, the pain was on par with my amputation. At least the doctors gave me a pain med for that one, this time they did not. Probably one of the most painful surgeries I have ever been through.

Yes, I am in Mission, Texas right now. The altitude starts dramatically increasing as soon as one leaves the Monterrey area and heads south. chinagringo found an excellent map that shows the distance, names of towns and cities along the way ands the accompanying altitude figures. I couldn't believe how exacting it is. Quite a map. That for sure changed my mind about trying to "make it" back home ntil this damn bubble disappears. Thanks for the input anyway.

robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4