Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Gringal

Apr 1, 2011, 2:19 PM

Post #1 of 11 (26337 views)

Shortcut

CAN WE TALK.....about food....politely?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Everybody's a food critic since everybody eats. Some people get passionate about their choices. Some people completely lose their sense of humor on don't discern the difference between tongue in cheek comments and serious ones.......and some people get downright hostile and/or rude. That is so unnecessary.

Now, let's suppose you have your hands on a reasonably decent, thick piece of what we foreigners refer to as "top sirloin" or better yet, a two inch thick chunk of chateaubriand. What would be your favorite method of preparation at home? Mine used to be a Bersteins' Dressing soak for about an hour, followed by tossing it on a well burned down barbie.
Now, it's a combination of olive oil, a few spices, a bunch of garlic and some sherry before the barbie.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Apr 2, 2011, 10:15 AM)

Zardoz

Apr 1, 2011, 4:11 PM

Post #2 of 11 (26298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] CAN WE TALK.....about food....politely?

Well I think we can....so lets move on....

You know in the last week or so we finally got some good posts going here and the food one
was great. I learned alot and I find you folks are an amazing source of knowledge.

I just use Salt and Pepper and a little canola or olive oil on the outside of the meat to speed
the transfer of heat to the meat. I am just starting to learn about all the marinades and such.
I have to admit NOB I usually just get a new york and broil or grill it. I have to admit the sauce
thing is new to me in the last few years down here.

So here is the question I have. So you buy a NOB style NY or Tbone and I treat it like normal but
If I buy a steak at the mexican butcher I have him marinade it. So I assume some of the NOB style
beef is finished with corn fed or something and the local beef is grass fed? Have I got this right.

Zardoz

Gringal

Apr 1, 2011, 5:14 PM

Post #3 of 11 (26284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] CAN WE TALK.....about food....politely?

Purely amateur observation, but it seems the Mexican beef is pretty much grass fed. It's tougher, but often more flavorful, IMO...which is probably why so many marinades are used to tenderize it a bit. It ain't Chicago steak, but I think it's good.

mexicobuff

Apr 1, 2011, 5:37 PM

Post #4 of 11 (26279 views)

Shortcut

Age your beef yourself in your refrigerator. Grass fed beef will be tender.
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

chinagringo

Apr 1, 2011, 6:18 PM

Post #5 of 11 (26258 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicobuff] CAN WE TALK.....about food....politely?

Please excuse my ignorance but I have always been under the impression that beef needs to be aged on the side and not after it is cut into steaks or other cuts.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Gringal

Apr 1, 2011, 6:31 PM

Post #6 of 11 (26250 views)

Shortcut

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you "age" the beef in your fridge? Also, I have a very small fridge.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Apr 1, 2011, 6:32 PM)

mexicobuff

Apr 1, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #7 of 11 (26243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] CAN WE TALK.....about food....politely?

http://www.ehow.com/...ef-refrigerator.html
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

chinagringo

Apr 1, 2011, 8:14 PM

Post #8 of 11 (26216 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for the educational link! I will be following these instructions in the future.

Just this evening, we had prime ribeyes from Costco. Salt, pepper, granulated garlic power and a coating of Costco extra virgin olive oil. About as good as it comes!

Two nights ago, I ordered Wagyu Skirt Steak at the Silver Slipper Room of the Cowboy Bar in Sedona, AZ. Having lived in Japan for 6 years back in the '50's, I am familiar with Kobe Beef. This was my first shot at the American version of Kobe Beef and I would have to say that it was one tasty piece of beef! Ordered it very rare and it was tender and extremely flavorful!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Anonimo

Apr 2, 2011, 6:04 AM

Post #9 of 11 (26168 views)

Shortcut

Very good, Gringal. But shouldn't this topic be in the Mexican Kitchen Forum?

Saludos,
Anonimo

jckottler

Apr 2, 2011, 7:34 AM

Post #10 of 11 (26146 views)

Shortcut

Chef's Illustrated recommends building a two level fire, using most of the coals on one side. On the very hot side, cook each side three or four minutes. Get a nice char. Then transfer the steaks to the low side, where it can cook slowly and tenderly.

Gringal

Apr 2, 2011, 9:24 AM

Post #11 of 11 (26114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] CAN WE TALK.....about food....politely?

You're right. It probably has already been moved by the mod, which is fine.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4