Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DavidHF

Mar 31, 2011, 4:37 PM

Post #51 of 62 (5461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicobuff] Anti-American Sentiment?

| Private Reply
I say horse pucky! We have Mexican friends; working class, middle class, and upper class. Our relationships with them are genuine, warm, and caring. These folks don't invite us into their homes to "tell us what we want to hear." I also know a lot of Americans and Canadians who are convinced that the locals resent us and are always out to take advantage of foreigners. You make your own reality. If you're suspicious of someone's intentions they'll know it and treat you accordingly.

mexicobuff

Mar 31, 2011, 4:52 PM

Post #52 of 62 (5456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Anti-American Sentiment?

| Private Reply
I didn't say a thing about your friends or mine, so chill out, okay?

In Ajijic, the division of the gringo/Mexican population is by and large along the lines of the served and those who serve. Most gringos don't have Mexican friends, although they often claim to have: "Oh, that little woman (emphasis mine and intended) at the corner store is such a good friend!" But when push comes to shove, selling you a liter of milk isn't friendship, it's business. The gringo who thinks she's such a good friend doesn't have a clue about even the other woman's name. Most gringos count their maids among their friends: as you so gracefully put it, horse pucky. Your maid is your employee, as is your gardener, your albaņil, your carpintero, etc.

Again, I don't have a clue who you are, DavidHF, and I have no argument with you about your Mexican friends. You have no argument with my reality--it's as real as yours, and very similar in its circle of friends. I'd say about 95% of my good friends are like yours, Mexicans at my socio-economic level or above. I'm not suspicious of anybody's intentions, either, so you can get off that horse as well.

My argument is with those who say there is no resentment of foreigners among Mexicans. It's just not so.
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

Gringal

Mar 31, 2011, 4:54 PM

Post #53 of 62 (5455 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
...and the truth probably lies somewhere in between.......or each of us has his/her own truth, bases on personal experience.
My personal experiences have been pretty good in general, but then, I try to treat everyone with the dignity and courtesy due a fellow human being unless he/she goes out of his/her way to be a jerk........regardless of nationality. For instance, the scammers who prey on unsuspecting gringos are out there as well as the good people who just want a fair deal.

DavidHF

Mar 31, 2011, 5:10 PM

Post #54 of 62 (5451 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think there's always some resentment and distrust of foreigners and I've seen it in many countries. I simply haven't seen it where I am or at the golf club we belong to in Guadalajara where the Mexican members outnumber the foreigners by 5 to 1.

mexicobuff

Mar 31, 2011, 5:14 PM

Post #55 of 62 (5447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Anti-American Sentiment?

| Private Reply
My point is that one's unfiltered personal experience is often misleading in the extreme. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean that that something doesn't exist.
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

DavidHF

Mar 31, 2011, 5:20 PM

Post #56 of 62 (5444 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
OK, so I've been "unfiltered" here for 6 years. If I was going to see it I would expect it at a country club, but no. So, let it go.

Dr. John Lilly said, "In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true or becomes true." Sort of like self-fulfilling prophecy.

mazbook1

Mar 31, 2011, 5:33 PM

Post #57 of 62 (5442 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
One almost sure-fire way to determine if your Mexican "friends" are really friends is to ask yourself if you use "tu" with them or "Usted".

IF you used "tu" from the first time you met them, and they use "tu" with you, you should be very careful of that "friendship", as your disrespectful "tu" has been met with their likewise disrespectul "tu".

IF you used "Usted" from the first time you met them and still do, that "friendship" is on a LOT solider ground, but you cannot be completely assured of it, you can only be assured of just a mutual respect.

IF you used "Usted" from the first time you met them, but later switched to "tu" AT THEIR REQUEST, I would say that you have really made a friend.

This is a sure-fire system. BUT if you speak ONLY English with them, you will never know whether they are a real friend or whether they have any respect whatsoever for you.

chinagringo

Mar 31, 2011, 6:43 PM

Post #58 of 62 (5432 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Anti-American Sentiment?

| Private Reply
Jim:

I happen to agree with your sentiments but from a slightly different angle. Our travels in MX are split maybe 50/50 pleasure and business. During our business dealings, we have seen the effects of foreign (primarily US business people) beating up on merchants and artisans for the best price so that they can rape the public NOB with their high markups and prices. After years of playing the supplier game NOB, we have concluded that such activities can be self defeating in the long run. Beat the hell out of your suppliers over prices and then you may not have suppliers anymore! More than a couple of times, we have had new suppliers ask what they had to do price wise to earn our business and it would take an explanation that it wasn't about price so much as it was about delivery timing and quality. The rest was in our ballpark and making our business model work for us. We have found that this approach gains respect from our partners and then it becomes a two way street. Having lived in many parts of the world, we have found that Mexican business people to be some of the most accommodating and respectful!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

donemry

Apr 1, 2011, 9:36 AM

Post #59 of 62 (5358 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
My point is that one's unfiltered personal experience is often misleading in the extreme. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean that that something doesn't exist.

The absolute proof of the existence of a conspiracy is the absence of proof of the conspiracy.

(This post was edited by donemry on Apr 1, 2011, 9:37 AM)

mexicobuff

Apr 1, 2011, 9:53 AM

Post #60 of 62 (5345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Anti-American Sentiment?

| Private Reply
Good grief. What I mean is that if you base all of your beliefs about Mexico (or anything else, for that matter) only on what you yourself have experienced--discounting the experiences of others--you will inevitably misunderstand some of what actually exists but that you have not personally experienced.

DavidHF

Apr 1, 2011, 11:50 AM

Post #61 of 62 (5320 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Perception is the only reality.

Gringal

Apr 1, 2011, 12:01 PM

Post #62 of 62 (5313 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
More true than not, I think.

Mexicobuff's statement also has some truth.........but if I based my opinions primarily on what other people's perceptions are, I would also be off the mark. IMO: listen to others' opinions, but take a dose of salts with most of what we hear.....about anything.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4