Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Daily Mexican

Mar 23, 2011, 7:26 AM

Post #1 of 30 (12289 views)

Shortcut

Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm sure it's been asked before I just can't manage to find it.

Is Mexconnect on Facebook as a page or group, or does it have a Twitter feed?

Thanks

---
http://www.the-daily-mexican.com

Rolly

Mar 23, 2011, 7:54 AM

Post #2 of 30 (12271 views)

Shortcut

Re: [The Daily Mexican] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

None of the above.

(Edit! - Sorry Rolly, but I need to update you as we do use both Twitter and Facebook! See my Reply below under DavidMcL

David)

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Mar 23, 2011, 2:48 PM)

The Daily Mexican

Mar 23, 2011, 8:18 AM

Post #3 of 30 (12265 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Ahh ok, thanks Rolly

---
http://www.the-daily-mexican.com

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2011, 10:07 AM

Post #4 of 30 (12255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [The Daily Mexican] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Yes!!!!!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/MexConnect-Everything-about-Mexico/106301466058909

Twitter: coming very shortly (next week)

Tony

La Isla

Mar 23, 2011, 12:04 PM

Post #5 of 30 (12245 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Facebook, but I don't understand why a website needs to be on FB. Could it be a way to draw more visitors to Mexconnect?

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2011, 12:08 PM

Post #6 of 30 (12244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

There are many reasons.
First, as you suggest, to help draw more visitors to MexConnect.
Second, because some people prefer to read stuff on FB rather than on other websites.
Third, because it offers additional exposure to our loyal advertisers.
Fourth, because it's there...!

La Isla

Mar 23, 2011, 12:12 PM

Post #7 of 30 (12241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Will people who prefer Facebook start posting comments and questions there instead of participating in our lively, sometimes cantankerous but usually amusing, conversations here? Wouldn't that divide our online community instead of making it bigger?

bournemouth

Mar 23, 2011, 12:32 PM

Post #8 of 30 (12238 views)

Shortcut

I have to agree with you La Isla - but only time will tell what effect it will have on this site.

DavidMcL

Mar 23, 2011, 2:45 PM

Post #9 of 30 (12225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

We use Facebook and Twitter as a ways of letting people know about new and/or worthy articles on Mexconnect.
Facebook: = MexConnect
Twitter: = @MexConnect

I doubt that these will bleed any traffic away from the Forums and in fact will possibly increase the number of folks participating here.

Please feel free to follow both or either of these interfaces as a great way to be notified of new materials!

Enjoy

David
David McL
WebJefe

La Isla

Mar 23, 2011, 2:53 PM

Post #10 of 30 (12219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

I see, David, the MexConnect FB site will highlight articles, not the Forums. That makes sense.

DavidMcL

Mar 23, 2011, 3:32 PM

Post #11 of 30 (12206 views)

Shortcut

Occasionally we will put up a Forum link when there is a unique thread of discussion that deserves promotion . . .
But mainly just articles.

David
David McL
WebJefe

La Isla

Mar 23, 2011, 4:04 PM

Post #12 of 30 (12192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Sounds good. Good luck with this new project.

ken_in_dfw

Mar 23, 2011, 6:08 PM

Post #13 of 30 (12174 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I think it will ultimately help draw people to the actual Mexconnect site, especially using the strategy as described by David. There are a lot of younger folks who normally don't peruse discussion boards like these. Hate to say it, but discussion boards and e-mail are sooo 20th century.

But younger generations are very information-driven and will go to wherever they can find answers to the questions they have. So things like Google and Twitter and Facebook act as channels to call attention to the fantastic resources here on Mexconnect. It's a great way to reach a whole new group of people.

Personally, my hat's off to David and his team. They are doing a great job with this site.

La Isla

Mar 23, 2011, 6:17 PM

Post #14 of 30 (12172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

In Reply To
I think it will ultimately help draw people to the actual Mexconnect site, especially using the strategy as described by David. There are a lot of younger folks who normally don't peruse discussion boards like these. Hate to say it, but discussion boards and e-mail are sooo 20th century.

You know, Ken, I find expressions like "x, y and/or z are soooo 20th century" incredibly irritating. Maybe because I enjoy living in the past : ) !

Rolly

Mar 23, 2011, 6:25 PM

Post #15 of 30 (12168 views)

Shortcut

Re: Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Those who are on Facebook could help spread the word by posting a link to the MexConnect page on their walls.

Rolly Pirate

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2011, 6:32 PM

Post #16 of 30 (12164 views)

Shortcut

Yes, FB is, with few exceptions, a different demographic completely to the main MexConnect forum users (though note that the main sections of our site are widely used by students).
David will be announcing more about FB and Twitter etc. (that forces his hand), probably next week, after we've met with MexConnect's amazing technical support team in Vancouver this Friday.

ken_in_dfw

Mar 23, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #17 of 30 (12157 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Sorry for the irritation, La Isla. There are a great many things of the past that I prefer, too. Obviously, since I spend time on discussion boards and send tons of e-mail. But I have never been able to invent that temporal stasis machine that can enable me to freeze time, much less travel back through it. So I continue to muddle forward, enjoying what I can of the scenery as I go.

ken_in_dfw

Mar 23, 2011, 6:43 PM

Post #18 of 30 (12143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Can't Post |
Excellent point, Rolly. Done on my FB page. Hope others follow suit.

La Isla

Mar 23, 2011, 6:48 PM

Post #19 of 30 (12142 views)

Shortcut

Ken, it wasn't so much the idea that we need to live in the present if we want to, as you put it, "muddle forward" that I object to, it's more the tone of the over-used phrase, "it's so 20th century". To me it sounds condescending and reflects a rejection of all that has happened in the past, the good along with the bad.

ken_in_dfw

Mar 23, 2011, 6:55 PM

Post #20 of 30 (12138 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Point taken and please accept my apology for sounding condescending. That wasn't my intention. It was a poor attempt at satire. I was trying to mimic my Millenial generation nephews and nieces who can barely stop to send me a text, much less linger over a phone call, or, shudder, an actual face-to-face conversation. :-)

La Isla

Mar 23, 2011, 7:10 PM

Post #21 of 30 (12131 views)

Shortcut

Being a language teacher and translator, I'm very sensitive to words and their connotations, hence my dislike for that phrase, which one of these days will be as obsolete as the typewriter. Not sure what how old the Millennials are, and I have no relatives I'm in touch with under the age of 40 or so, though I do have younger friends here in Mexico in their twenties and thirties. Lucky for me they don't mind sending me emails from time to time. We even sometimes meet in person and have long conversations! Sorry about your nephews . . .

Rolly

Mar 23, 2011, 7:15 PM

Post #22 of 30 (12127 views)

Shortcut

And now back to the original subject....

Rolly Pirate

bfwpdx

Mar 24, 2011, 6:56 AM

Post #23 of 30 (12080 views)

Shortcut

I agree. This saying seems to encapsulate everything WRONG with society today, the lack of respect for simplicity, history, education, experience, and the promotion of the concept of complicated, disposable, replaceable, wasteful living. JMHO of course!!!!

Gringal

Mar 24, 2011, 9:22 AM

Post #24 of 30 (12044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bfwpdx] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

I really don't give a flying fig what generations from the elder eldsters to the newest dummies out of the womb think, to be an honest curmudgeon. We all take the same journey from shiny new ignorance to the grave.

Right now, we have an enormous library at our fingertips.....and that is a good thing. Whether we use if for any productive purpose is another. I am not criticizing the usefulness of the net in general. This is only about the "Social Networking" aspect.

The average teenager used to be glued to the telephone, without which they couldn't confirm their own identity. Now the same teenager sends an average of 125 tweets a day. That's so 21st century. (grin)
They are just as foolish in their real life choices as they were many decades ago. The human intelligence is about the same as it was in Socrates' day.........and probably back to the caves.

The one thing I DO care about is whether or not our fearless leader keeps his subscribers' names and information out of the clutches of the Hive. You are keeping this information confidential, aren't you?
If not, please say so and I'm outta here like summer smoke.

tonyburton

Mar 24, 2011, 9:52 AM

Post #25 of 30 (12030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Mexconnect on FB or Twitter?

Rest assured, Gringal, MexConnect does not share its subscriber information with anyone, whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes (as has always been clearly expressed in our terms of service).
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4