Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jckottler

Mar 20, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #1 of 70 (14956 views)

Shortcut

Single Guy Dating

Can't Post | Private Reply
       I am a 60 year old single, straight guy about to move to Ajijic. I'd like to hear from you single guys to tell me the differences between dating NOB and Lakeside.

sparks

Mar 20, 2011, 8:08 PM

Post #2 of 70 (14922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jckottler] Single Guy Dating

And no PM's ... I wanna hear this

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Gringal

Mar 20, 2011, 8:11 PM

Post #3 of 70 (14917 views)

Shortcut

They have a new Singles group at the Lake Chapala Society. Check it out. (That's all I know, since I brought my honey with me. ) LOL.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Mar 20, 2011, 8:12 PM)

Zardoz

Mar 21, 2011, 7:06 AM

Post #4 of 70 (14870 views)

Shortcut

Well big differences!!

Around here 5 to 10 times as many single women as single men.
Lots of choices. Suggest LCS singles group to start. All kind of
choices in women. Some fit and lively and many well like many
people our age range. I am married but we have single roommates
so we see the scene and what is going on. I have to admit when
my female roommate caught one of the good finds down here the
ladies who were courting him looked like a bunch of cats hissing
and scratching. It was not a pretty site. Frankly men here have it
better than the women. The women have to deal with the men who
are trying to take them for there money or just looking for a cheap
place to live. I would suggest being careful and date the field for
a while. You will find women here very friendly to single men maybe
a little too friendly for a guys good sometimes. Enjoy yourself but
don't hurt folks. It is easy to do to some of these ladies. Oh yea
hope you like to dance the ladies here like men who dance. Go
learn if you don't know as it is a great way to meet the ladies.

(This post was edited by Zardoz on Mar 21, 2011, 7:22 AM)

simpsca

Mar 21, 2011, 7:47 AM

Post #5 of 70 (14852 views)

Shortcut

You can join LCS Singles Mix and Match to see what kinds of things they do and how many members there are. Here is the website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lcsmixandmatch/

jckottler

Mar 21, 2011, 8:02 AM

Post #6 of 70 (14843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] Single Guy Dating

I prefer too many men to too many women. However, the thought of women described like ". . .a bunch of cats hissing and scratching" does not sound appetizing either. Also I am only nine months separated from my wife of 25 years. That means I am 25 years out of date, even NOB, when it comes to dating.

chinagringo

Mar 21, 2011, 8:08 AM

Post #7 of 70 (14832 views)

Shortcut

Just like riding a bicycle? Don't over think the task at hand!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Zardoz

Mar 21, 2011, 8:23 AM

Post #8 of 70 (14817 views)

Shortcut

Hi Jckottler

Sorry about your wife. Please don't take my comment out of context please. I can only tell you what we see
and hear and sometimes the scene is like that. I tried to tell you the truth that we have many more senior
females than we do males and that changes things. I don't think it is bad I said it can be bad sometimes.
If I tell you lots of people drink down here that does not mean all people drink.

Sir I think you will do fine down here. Plenty to do with both males and females. Lots of activities. If you
come down here and don't know how to start. Go to LCS in the morning and sit down at a table in the
coffee shop and you will meet people. People are very friendly here and will help you adjust. We do tend
to be more polite down here and tone down our political discussions for the most part so the talk is
civilized compared to NOB. Walk the malecon (boardwalks on the lake) and you will meet people. I have
more friends and friends lite down here than I can support with the time available.

I would suggest you come down here for a week or so and stay at a B&B down by LCS and check it out
and once again I did not mean to scare you. You will be fine here. Come on down and see with a visit.

Z

jckottler

Mar 21, 2011, 10:18 AM

Post #9 of 70 (14783 views)

Shortcut

I already came down here for a 10 day visit; I'm coming down for good in about a week.

Gringal

Mar 21, 2011, 10:44 AM

Post #10 of 70 (14773 views)

Shortcut

Just a few idle thoughts on the subject of meeting people. Go slowly, both with women and men. Friendly is fine, but the good friends are the ones that don't hang their hearts and their history on their sleeves. They have a life and are happy within themselves.

Too many people move down here after a relationship disaster and decide to "reinvent themselves": the sorry fact is that "wherever you go, there you are". Reinvention as a senior is a tough call.

Women who can't be happy on their own without being attached to a male and men who just have to have a woman are doomed to have lots of problems. Some of the men are looking for either a "nurse" or a "purse" and what can anyone expect with that objective? Some women don't feel good about themselves without a man, or they don't have enough money to get by okay on their own....and are looking for a "wallet". Naturally, as Zardoz pointed out, they'll be p.o.'d if a likely prospect is picked off.

"Dating" after years out of that scene is truly the pitts. Don't go there. Just hang out with some similar interest groups, whether it's golf, bird watching (there's a group here), an art association (never too late to take a few painting lessons), the line dancing at LCS or whatever else you are interested in. Friends will happen just naturally.
Welcome, and good luck!

La Isla

Mar 21, 2011, 12:27 PM

Post #11 of 70 (14746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Single Guy Dating

Gringal's comments on this delicate subject are right on target. Living in Mexico City, the senior dating scene is totally different, mostly because the resident expats live all over the city and many of them are married and much younger than me. So I have ended up casually dating Mexican men, mostly several years younger than me, which I prefer, to tell the truth. Unlike some of the men Zardoz mentions, no one I've met here is after me for "money or a cheap place to live", if for no other reason than I have just enough moneyto take care of myself and no room in my apartment for more than the occasional overnight guest. Of course, they are often after what Mexican men seek out foreign women for, but I can deal with that, most of the time. At least, my life isn't horribly dull : ) .

I wish the OP luck with his new life in Mexico, and may he find a few good friends to enjoy it with!

T

Mar 21, 2011, 1:09 PM

Post #12 of 70 (14725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Single Guy Dating

Too funny. Not crazy about your new pic. I loved the jaunty Asian look with the wide brimmed hat. T.

T

Mar 21, 2011, 1:41 PM

Post #13 of 70 (14709 views)

Shortcut

Check out the Newcomers group at La Nueva Posada. Think they meet for cocktails on either Tuesday or Wednesday each week around 5. Some stay for dinner and some make mini groups and head out to other spots. Nope, I have no idea why I sent this to you, Gringal. Tried to figure out how to correct it and send it to the OP, but did not know how to do so. T.

Gringal

Mar 21, 2011, 2:15 PM

Post #14 of 70 (14701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Single Guy Dating

How to do it: Scroll up to the poster you want to send it to. Click on "reply." Should work every time.

sparks

Mar 21, 2011, 8:03 PM

Post #15 of 70 (14641 views)

Shortcut

When new in town and don't know anybody .... the first people you meet are the ones to look out for (generally).

Relations take time and you're lucky if you have the time

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

jckottler

Mar 21, 2011, 9:05 PM

Post #16 of 70 (14625 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Single Guy Dating

Why wouldn't I have the time? According to the chart, I have a life expectancy of about 25 years.

Axixic

Mar 22, 2011, 6:14 AM

Post #17 of 70 (14593 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Well big differences!!

Around here 5 to 10 times as many single women as single men.
Lots of choices. Suggest LCS singles group to start. All kind of
choices in women. Some fit and lively and many well like many
people our age range. I am married but we have single roommates
so we see the scene and what is going on. I have to admit when
my female roommate caught one of the good finds down here the
ladies who were courting him looked like a bunch of cats hissing
and scratching. It was not a pretty site. Frankly men here have it
better than the women. The women have to deal with the men who
are trying to take them for there money or just looking for a cheap
place to live. I would suggest being careful and date the field for
a while. You will find women here very friendly to single men maybe
a little too friendly for a guys good sometimes. Enjoy yourself but
don't hurt folks. It is easy to do to some of these ladies. Oh yea
hope you like to dance the ladies here like men who dance. Go
learn if you don't know as it is a great way to meet the ladies.

Are you crazy, have you seen the broken down, fat or skinny, ugly men here who are all almost completely brain dead? You can say the only good looking men here are Gay but even the married men are creepy. I can't imagine what kind of man any women here would be fighting over. If this man's knuckles don't drag, he can carry on a normal conversation, and he's not using a walker, he might get lucky.

Gringal

Mar 22, 2011, 7:46 AM

Post #18 of 70 (14569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Single Guy Dating

ROFL! You said it, I didn't.

So, most expats here are past their sell dates, but even so......take a look at what too many of them appear in out in public: T-shirted beer bellies over shorts topping legs that cry out for long pants. Matching outfits for the women, with a variation in flowered capris stretched to the limit over their fannies. Anyone want to take one of those beauties home with them? If they want to catch something, it might help to jazz up the bait.

The senors and senoritas are another story. No wonder they get taken home instead.

All this with the exception of all you dear readers, of course.

T

Mar 22, 2011, 12:42 PM

Post #19 of 70 (14526 views)

Shortcut

Funnier than hell. Also true. Do not leave out sleeveless t-shirts with four inches of upper arm flab blowing in the wind. And the ever attractive black socks and sandals. Not too mention shorts that are at mid thiigh or even higher, with legs that should be covered. The poorest of Mexicans dress better than most of us foreigners. We would never dress like this NOB. Why do we do so here? Why are you not his funny on TOB. Oh, you would probably be banned, of course. Love your insight and humor here. Keep on keepin' on. T.

Zardoz

Mar 22, 2011, 12:43 PM

Post #20 of 70 (14526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Single Guy Dating

OW Gringal and Axixic

Well we were talking about the women not the men and I got in enough trouble telling the truth as much as I did.
I will point out that yes many of the men look as bad as many of the women but if they are 5/10 times as many
single women as men it also stands that there would be 5/10 times of good looking women with personalities than Men.
Advantage Men! Lots of good looking men and women down here. You guys must be picky:-) I find personalities
harder to find than looks down here. I didn't get married until I was 55 year old so I dated alot in my life so I
am not so out of date that I can still tell what is going on.

FYI the man who got our roommate is good looking and dances out all the time and acts like he is 55 so they
are out there. I have had wonderful conversations with him so I assure you he is not brain dead.

Ahem... Now I wear shorts all the time and my legs are good and I don't wear them out to mexican events
or dress up resturants so not all of us in shorts are dogs. How do I know this....??? The women tell me I have
good legs all the time. I don't have a single blue vein or flapping thigh. :-)

All humor aside we are living in a retirement region so I would not expect people to look like a spring chicken
as a rule.

Z

Gringal

Mar 22, 2011, 1:12 PM

Post #21 of 70 (14518 views)

Shortcut

LOLOL. You are definitely an exception if you look so good in shorts that you are swanning about in regular restaurants (neither blue tarpers or Number 4) with your knees hanging out.

Check out Mexican men: they know what to emphasize, and it ain't their knees, baby. Now, I am a long-time observer of this stuff........and I'll betcha most of my sisters on here know just what I mean, too.
I haven't yet seen a guy in shorts lookin' as good as one in well-cut jeans.

As for the women: There is a school of thought that suggests that women (and maybe the men) should be issued a collection of saris at sixty. A quick glance at any crowd of Indian women of a certain age as compared to our locals will illustrate the reasoning. Burkas would work, but the connotation is somewhat negative.

Georgia

Mar 22, 2011, 1:17 PM

Post #22 of 70 (14517 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for your post. I don't think I've enjoyed reading posts so much in a long time!

If you are looking to date gringas, I don't think you will have any problem as long as you are a reasonable person. And that tip about learning to dance was really good. I agree.

Dating Mexican women is a different story. It's a long story.

But single, reasonably healthy, good dancer guys down here will have no shortage of dates. Relax. Enjoy. Gloat.

T

Mar 22, 2011, 1:36 PM

Post #23 of 70 (14513 views)

Shortcut

Z, I met you today, and thanks again for your help, but the bald spot and the ponytail are an issue with some folks here. We were talking about upper arm flab, and you are getting close. Did not get a good look at your legs this morning. Please give me a call, come back tomorrow,and after I check them out will make a full report. If you got married when you were 55, you guys have only been married six months or less. Wait until she finds out the real you. Grin. T.

jm95

Mar 22, 2011, 2:36 PM

Post #24 of 70 (14497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Single Guy Dating

This is a comment more about women than men--or at least it seems to be more noticeable: the obvious facelifts. I've seen more hideous cosmetic surgery here than anywhere else--often "enhanced" by bizarre hair colors and ghoulish makeup.

La Isla

Mar 22, 2011, 2:39 PM

Post #25 of 70 (14496 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jm95] Single Guy Dating

Reading this thread has been most amusing, but the last few posts verge on the frightening! It sounds like life among the expats at Lakeside is a sad sequel to Golden Girls, maybe Golden Girls Gone to Seed.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4