First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Reefhound

Mar 23, 2011, 3:13 PM

Post #51 of 66 (6209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

Can't Post | Private Reply
"How about showing us some of these reports on the "booming" tourist numbers?"

MILWAUKEE, March 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Funjet Vacations announced today that statistics released by the Mexico Tourism Board show a surge in travel from Texas to the country's top beach destinations and resort areas. Despite a continued stream of negative media coverage, over 253,000 travelers visited Mexico from Texas in December and 210,000 in January compared to 224,000 and 196,000 in the previous year, respectively.

"The number of people flying out of Texas cities into Mexico is up 12 percent from last year, and December saw the most travelers for that month in a decade," said Mike Going, president of Funjet Vacations. "Year-after-year Mexico remains a top travel destination for both Funjet Vacations and the Texas market and we are optimistic about the forecast for 2011. We believe properly informed consumers will continue to desire the unique vacation experiences that only Mexico can offer."

The increase in tourism from Texas has been seen most prominently in top beach destinations and resort areas, including Cancun, Cozumel, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Maya, which are located in the southeast and southwest regions of the country.

Funjet Vacations Announces Surge in Travel From Texas to Mexico -- MILWAUKEE, March 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Mar 23, 2011, 3:14 PM)

Bennie García

Mar 23, 2011, 4:16 PM

Post #52 of 66 (6188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

Limited in scope and based on the Tourism Secretary's numbers for visitors from one state. Very convincing.

ken_in_dfw

Mar 23, 2011, 5:55 PM

Post #53 of 66 (6172 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hey Bennie, you've been pretty good at shooting down facts that others are bringing to the discussion. How about you providing some externally verifiable (as in a hyperlink) evidence to back up your side of the argument?

Bennie García

Mar 23, 2011, 6:15 PM

Post #54 of 66 (6164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

If you can read Spanish then just click on the linky dinky I posted a few messages above. You see, that article directly quotes a Tourism official, unlike reefer's that quotes an airline or tour company that quotes another source and deals solely with tejanos visiting Mexico.

Plus I have stated my observations based on personal experiences and those of people I know in the tourist business on the Jalisco coast. Again, unlike some others, I am not offering opinions based solely on what I can find on Google while sitting at a computer in Texas. I was actually in Barra de Navidad for a few days last week with an afternoon spent in Manzanillo.

Been to the coast a number of times since the first of the year and also spent part of the Xmas 2010 vacation there. Last Thursday the Hotel Barra de Navidad had exactly 4 of 60 rooms occupied. The trailer park on the beach in Melaque is nearly deserted.

My mother in law owns 8 condo rentals on the beach there. She has had vacancies all year. That has never happened since she built them in the early 80's.

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2011, 6:27 PM

Post #55 of 66 (6157 views)

Shortcut

1. The article you link to is one person's "projection" and is not a solid source of data.

2. The most reliable statistics for international tourism are those collated by the World Tourism Organization.
http://unwto.org/

For Mexico, the numbers of "International Tourist Arrivals", followed by the value of "International Tourism Receipts" for the years 2007-2010 inclusive are as follows [for methodology see the WTO site]:

2007: 21,370,000
12.852 billion US dollars

2008: 22.,637,000
13.289 billion US dollars
[http://www.unwto.org/...ghlights10_en_HR.pdf]

2009: 21,454,000
11.275 billion US dollars

2010 (Preliminary WTO stats; the definitive stats are scheduled for release later this year).
22,400,000 international tourists
11.8 billion US dollars

ken_in_dfw

Mar 23, 2011, 6:30 PM

Post #56 of 66 (6155 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Aah, sorry about that Benny. In my speed reading down through this very long thread, I missed that post of yours.

And your point about direct observation, rather than just relying on the Internet for one's information, is well taken.

I did note in the article you linked that the Jalisco Director of Tourism said that visits by North Americans were not just down due to the alerts by U.S. and U.S. state officials, but also because there are less flights going to Mexico. This gets back to a point that I have made before: it's becoming a LOT harder to get to Mexico - or anywhere else for that matter. And the other side of that coin is that flights are fewer because the economy has been so bad. The big corporate-owned media in the U.S. like to pretend that the Great Depression II (I refuse to call it a "recession") is over, when in fact, for the average Joe in middle U.S.A., it is not. No money = no travel. This is a problem that tourism-based economies are confronting all over, not just Mexico.

Bennie García

Mar 23, 2011, 6:30 PM

Post #57 of 66 (6153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

And all of them say jack &%#" about tourism in 2011.

For the aficionados of Google results there are innumerous reports on the huge drop off of spring breakers throughout the country. More of an up close and personal perspective than an international statistics gatherer.

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Mar 23, 2011, 6:34 PM)

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #58 of 66 (6149 views)

Shortcut

Try http://datatur.sectur.gob.mx/...semana/sem082011.pdf and comparable data for previous years and see for yourself.

chinagringo

Mar 23, 2011, 7:09 PM

Post #59 of 66 (6143 views)

Shortcut

While this comment in not directed directly at Bennie (because of the link) - doesn't everyone responding realize that quoted statistics from various sources can often prove a point when one digs long and hard enough? Statistics are wonderful to make a point but there is rarely a case when one cannot find something to prove their point! Bennie's first person report appears to have more validity at least to this reader. Logic and common sense tells me that no matter what some agency or resident expresses, the situation as a whole in Mexico cannot possibly be positive with maybe a few exceptions. In fact, I was reading an article in our local paper about a week ago about the new FOXCONN plant built in San Jeronimo just across the border from Santa Teresa, NM. At 1.5M square feet, they apparently are cranking out 30,000 computers per day according to the article. While this is certainly a positive for Mexico, it doesn't relate to an increase or decrease in tourism.

I do know from talking to our suppliers that traffic is down from US buyers and that their export business is way down.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Poncho32

Mar 24, 2011, 5:21 PM

Post #60 of 66 (6088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

My response is only our personal observation of what we have seen.In traveling Mexico 15 South from Nogales to Puerto Vallarta this year we were amazed of the lack of American or Canadian vehicles moving either South or North bound,the total number we observed were less than 10 .
Here in Vallarta we live right next to Mexico 15 South of town ,we have been here since November 13th and I have only seen two motor home caravans this year going by.
In town at night time at the popular restaurants they are fairly busy and have been since the turn of the year,prior to that they were dead.
With a population here in Vallarta of 350,000 there is bound to be problems of one kind or the other but the happenings are being kept pretty much under raps.

chinagringo

Mar 24, 2011, 5:43 PM

Post #61 of 66 (6076 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Poncho32] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

Poncho32:

As one who studies Mexican media reports from all over MX, I would have to agree that somehow they manage to keep reports out of the PV area very much under wraps. On top of these actions, I observe a real hush hush attitude on the PV Forum. Since it appears that PV is one of the few areas that seems to be holding their own with visits, maybe that is a good thing?

All one has to do is observe what is happening in Mazatlan to realize just how bad things can be. To my way of thinking, no amount of denial and minimizing can convince me that there are not serious problems in the Mazatlan area. Why? Because the news that does get out seems to contradict the other attitudes. Just one person's opinion and I don't have: a dog in the fight!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

surebought

Mar 25, 2011, 11:18 AM

Post #62 of 66 (5999 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

I closed a store that was open for 22 years in Ensenada last June. We didn't even want to stay open for the summer because it looked like it was going from bad to nothing. The People who stayed open for the summer of 2010, told me that it was getting worse. Now they are saying after Presidents day that it is getting a little bit better. But I still am seeing stores with a lot of history closing down. The Narco terrorism, I think, is just one of many factors that are affecting Tourism. The Great Recession in the US is at least an equal factor in my opinion. Inflation is another. Mexico has to look like it's a steal price wise, but lately prices are nearly the same as in the US in many areas. I am selling nearly everything they sold in the Curio Stores on the internet right now. There is no need to be a Tourist to buy souvenirs. I am fortunate in that I switched quickly into the Maquilladora end of things which is doing okay here. A lot of the sewing types of businesses are coming back from China. You can set up your own company pretty easy here and control everything. In China, you don't have the same control and the turn around is a lot longer in China and that's important with Clothing. I am much more active on Facebook. Here is a link.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1142737625

Poncho32

Mar 26, 2011, 8:48 AM

Post #63 of 66 (5908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

The statement where you state
(Because the news that does get out seems to contradict the other attitudes.)

I must state in the 41 years living here in Vallarta for 4-6 months a year we have witnessed a
huge number of changes year by year.
Over that same period of time it is amassing how well the head of tour-ism and local government has kept a lid on the crime happenings here.

We know a lot of the local business owners here and they are hurting.
If the cruise ships stop coming here as they have in other ports in Mexico this town will lose a ton of business over night.

There is little doubt that the drug cartel along with the world recession is what is really hurting Mexico.
The recession will sub side in the next 3-4 years if the economy world wide continues to grow as it is now.
That said here in Mexico things are not going to change for their economy
unless their government makes some drastic changes.

The bottom line is that the drug problem will not go away until the profit is taken out of it.

It is always easy to be a side walk superintendent and set on the side lines and make stab opinion on how to solve some ones problem, but it would appear that Mexico could go a long way to solve their problem by first,
changing their taxing to even out their playing field and strengthen their economic base.
Next think seriously about about legalizing drugs.

One can dream.

Reefhound

Mar 27, 2011, 1:01 PM

Post #64 of 66 (5822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

I agree that my link/stats dealing with visitors from Texas is limited in scope. Just as visits by spring breakers, not only a narrow demographic but seasonal one as well, is limited in scope. I am not trying to out duel anyone on statistics. There are few comprehensive stats that satisfy everyone but all of those presented so far make up pieces of the puzzle.

First hand observation is another piece and I do not claim to have such this year, although I was in Cozumel and Riviera Maya twice last year as well as tourist sites like Teotihuacan and Media Luna. Still, when you are dealing with numbers in the tens of millions across thousands of miles, you can never see the whole picture from first hand observation. There's a reason governments and corporations make strategic decisions based on aggregate data rather than relying solely on site visits.

arbon

Mar 27, 2011, 1:20 PM

Post #65 of 66 (5814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

Can't Post |
There are stats' that become available on the web dealing with the amount of jet fuel used/delivered at all the air ports.

The one I remember that was close to normal was Cancun.

Reports back from family visitors, in PV was busy but North of PV was empty last Xmas school holiday, compared to the year before.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moisheh

Mar 28, 2011, 6:03 PM

Post #66 of 66 (5729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Poncho32] How the narco violence is affecting tourism in my region

Pancho32: In spite of the downturn in foreign tourists the Mexican economy is moving along quite nicely. The economy has grown something like 4.5 %. In Sonora foreign investment in the Ford plant and in the mining industry has grown even more. Same with the auto industry in the south. Even the Maquillas in the border towns are still producing jobs. Today on CNN they interviewed a night club owner in Acapulco. He tried to paint a pretty picture but was lying !! The Federal tourism Secretary also tries to spread that mantra of "all is well". Last week there was some sort of conference for the large newspapers. They agreed to not publish violent pictures and videos on their websites. Even agreed to emphasize the good happenings. Calderon must be pleased. If you cannot stop the violence just poretend it is does not exist.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4