Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Anonimo

Mar 10, 2011, 4:27 PM

Post #1 of 23 (9893 views)

Shortcut

Hotel near GDL Airport

Can't Post | Private Reply
We'll be flying in and out of Guadalajara Airport in July, and I'm starting early (because it's fun!) to look for a hotel. We are willing to pay up to or around $800 MN a night. Of course, clean and comfortable are musts. Wi-Fi would be nice but not a must.

Colonial ambience unnecessary. Modern is fine. Proximity to the GDL Airport is very desireable. A hotel-airport shuttle would be a plus.
We'll be coming in from the Camionera Nueva.
We'll stay over another night on our way back before headong homeward on the bus.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Saludos,
Anonimo

sparks

Mar 10, 2011, 5:26 PM

Post #2 of 23 (9876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Hotel near GDL Airport

Well Hotel Casa Grande is over your range but couldn't be more convenient. 100' from the front door of the airport. Last stayed there about 3 years ago and a single was $115us (single was 2 queen beds), don't know if they charge for two people

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Anonimo

Mar 10, 2011, 5:49 PM

Post #3 of 23 (9868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Hotel near GDL Airport

I saw the Hotel Casa Grande website, and it IS close to the airport. But the TripAdvisor reviews are lukewarm. And, of course the price is somewhat higher than we want to pay.

I'm giving serious consideration to the Hampton Inn Guadalajara Airport, starting at USD $84.15 a night, plus taxes (non Refundable reservation.). It's pretty close to the Airport if not adjoining. A plus is breakfast is included and we are Hilton Honors members, and the hotel is part of that chain.

I'm a bit disappointed that Hampton Inn offers an AARP discount but not an INAPAM discount. After all, we are in Mexico.

Now, coming back, we don't have to stay over right at the airport before busing home. I was looking at La Casa Del Retoño in Tlaquepaque, a B&B with singles starting at $750 pesos and doubles at $850. I don't mind Colonial charm if I'm not in a hurry, and the price is right. :-)

Any reports on La Casa del Retoño from Mexconnect subscribers?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Saludos,
Anonimo

DavidHF

Mar 10, 2011, 6:54 PM

Post #4 of 23 (9859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Hotel near GDL Airport

I suggest you call the Hampton Inn directly to get the best price.

tashby

Mar 10, 2011, 8:49 PM

Post #5 of 23 (9839 views)

Shortcut

If I'm hearing you correctly....you just need a convenient place to sleep near the GDL airport on your way out? Sounds like you plan on arriving via bus from your area and have an early morning flight the following day?

Hotel Casa Grande is actually inside the airport, so it couldn't be more convenient the following morning. (I'm pretty sure that's the one that sits in the parking lot across from the terminal?)

The Hampton Inn you mention is just down the Chapala/GDL highway toward GDL. It is on the airport side of the highway, just outside the periferico, offering a direct shot to the airport, probably seven minutes down the road to the terminal. (Don't know if they offer a shuttle, but if anybody does, they would.) It is exactly what you would expect from a generically comfortable and modern hotel. (I've been inside the lobby, but haven't seen any rooms.) There is a wildly popular "Chili's" restaurant adjacent. It is otherwise nowhere you want to spend time without access to a car or getting into a cab.

If you want to save money that night, there is the Motel Vienna. It is only a super-short ride to and from the airport, sitting on the non-airport side of the highway, just inches south toward Chapala. From the exterior, it looks like a nice and decent drive-in style Motel. Definitely no colonial charm there, but it might save you enough money to justify a splurge when you return and stay in Tlaquepaque. Don't know about food availability there....

I haven't stayed at any of the hotels I reference, they're just my guideposts.

Tons of choices in Tlaquepaque on your return.

Anonimo

Mar 11, 2011, 1:38 AM

Post #6 of 23 (9813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Hotel near GDL Airport

DavidHF, thanks, that's a good idea.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Mar 11, 2011, 1:47 AM

Post #7 of 23 (9811 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Hotel near GDL Airport

If I'm hearing you correctly....you just need a convenient place to sleep near the GDL airport on your way out? Sounds like you plan on arriving via bus from your area and have an early morning flight the following day?

That's it almost exactly, Tashby, except our flight is at 9:05 a.m. So I guess we'd have to be at the Volaris checkin at 7:00. (To me that's not so early.)

I'm now strongly favoring the Hampton Inn. I'll call them directly as David HF suggested. But I'll also look into the Motel Vienna. Outward bound, especially, I prefer a generic chain hotel that just does what it's supposed to and the ambience of Old Mexico is totally superfluous to us in that circumstance. Coming back might be a different story. See below.

I'm interested in recommendations for Tlaquepaque lodging for the return. (Tlaque is closer to the Nueva Camionera than the Airport hotels are, ¿verdad?) We'd probably just be there overnight before heading for the bus station, then on to Morelia and Pátzcuaro.

Saludos,
Anonimo

mexicobuff

Mar 11, 2011, 6:39 AM

Post #8 of 23 (9790 views)

Shortcut

The Hotel Vienna is quite decent for your purposes and just a kilometer or so from the airport. They'll call you a cab to get to the airport when you need to leave.

If what you want for your return trip is the same sort of arrangement but closer to the bus station, stay at the 3-star Hotel Serena Terminal. I know lots of people who have stayed there and thought it was just fine. http://www.bestday.com/...erminal_Guadalajara/
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

Anonimo

Mar 11, 2011, 7:36 AM

Post #9 of 23 (9769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicobuff] Hotel near GDL Airport

Thank you. All this has been very helpful.

I haven't found a website for the Hotel Vienna, but I have been looking over the Hotel Serena Terminal. It appears to be economical, basic, and most of all, convenient to the bus terminals. Not charming, but what the heck. We'll be mostly interested in a good night's sleep before boarding a bus back to Pátzcuaro.

Now a second line of questions appears: any ideas on taxi costs from the Nueva Camionera to the Airport, or perhaps the Hampton or the Vienna? Or the Airport to the Nueva Camionera? I imagine it's more. It's not that we can do anything about it, but just like to be prepared. Could here be a shuttle bus?

Gracias.

Saludos,
Anonimo

tashby

Mar 11, 2011, 9:19 AM

Post #10 of 23 (9742 views)

Shortcut

I hate this question. It, or a variation of it, comes up frequently. Coordinating a trip that includes the Nueva Camionera Central and the Airport and a hotel rec that's convenient never produces a satisfying answer. A puzzle without a solution, it's almost impossible to triangulate well.

A taxi from the bus station to the airport is, just guessing, probably in the neighborhood of $250-300 MXP. (Hampton Inn maybe a little less, Hotel Vienna the same as airport.)

If there's shuttle bus service between the airport and the bus station it's the best kept secret in Jalisco.

Frankly, I'd be tempted to stay in Tlaquepaque in both directions. It's only about 20 minutes to the airport, and less to the bus station.

Anonimo

Mar 11, 2011, 2:50 PM

Post #11 of 23 (9707 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, Tashby. We'll think about staying in Tlaque, at least on our return.

Saludos,
Anonimo

tashby

Mar 11, 2011, 4:05 PM

Post #12 of 23 (9693 views)

Shortcut

It's just frustrating because there's no good answer, at least not that I can think of anyway. The Hampton Inn thing will serve you well, but it just seems so expensive for what it is. And I wonder if that breakfast you'll be paying for will be available before you leave for your flight. One would hope.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Anonimo

Mar 11, 2011, 4:45 PM

Post #13 of 23 (9688 views)

Shortcut

For our return, I'm thinking that the Hotel Casa de Las Palomas in Tonalá is a good choice. True, it's a bit more to the east of the Camionera Nueva, but have a look at the hotel website, the photos of the rooms, and the rates. Looks like our kind of place.
http://www.casadelaspalomas.com/iniciales/index.php

Below are the very favorable TripAdvisor reviews. (Note that although TA lists it as a B&B, nothing on the hotel site itself indicates that. But that's no problem for us. We can sleep late and get breakfast nearby before heading for the bus.)
http://tinyurl.com/67ec32x

Still seeking more info on the Hotel Vienna near the airport. I'll be working on that next,

Saludos,
Anonimo

mexicobuff

Mar 11, 2011, 6:19 PM

Post #14 of 23 (9662 views)

Shortcut

It's really unlikely that you'll find Internet info on the Hotel Vienna. It's a no-tell motel. A friend of mine stayed there because she had an early flight out of GDL; she said it was just fine.

And Anónimo, nobody calls Tlaquepaque "Tlaque". Just like nobody but gringos who don't know better calls Guadalajara "Guad".
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

Anonimo

Mar 12, 2011, 3:29 AM

Post #15 of 23 (9636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicobuff] Hotel near GDL Airport

And Anónimo, nobody calls Tlaquepaque "Tlaque". Just like nobody but gringos who don't know better calls Guadalajara "Guad".

Mexicobuff, I figured that I might be treading on shaky ground when I wrote "Tlaque". LOL. It's the same way the people of San Francisco don't like to it called "Frisco" or "San Fran"; I also cringe when I see "Patz" for "Pátzcuaro". I promise that I'll be good from here on.

Saludos,
Anonimo

tashby

Mar 12, 2011, 7:38 AM

Post #16 of 23 (9613 views)

Shortcut

I have a friend who's in the process of outfitting her house. On her last trip to Tonalá she stayed at Casa de Las Palomas. She liked it. Described it as basic but clean, nice people, etc. She's returning in a week or so and staying there again, the ultimate endorsement. Based on the website, the good location, and what she has to say, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there if I was looking for a place in Tonalá.

(This post was edited by tashby on Mar 12, 2011, 7:41 AM)

donemry

Mar 12, 2011, 9:10 AM

Post #17 of 23 (9595 views)

Shortcut

We stayed at Hotel Casa de Las Palomas in Tonalá a couple of months ago. It is not a bed and breakfast although it is a pleasant place to stay. Only drawback to us was the lack of real coffee, they only offered Nescafe.

Anonimo

Mar 12, 2011, 10:48 AM

Post #18 of 23 (9587 views)

Shortcut

We are decided now: Hampton Inn going out, Casa de Las Palomas coming back.

Thanks to all for your help.

Saludos,
Anonimo

tonyburton

Mar 13, 2011, 9:47 AM

Post #19 of 23 (9530 views)

Shortcut

The shorthand for Tlaquepaque, at least in the Guadalajara metropolitan area, is actually "San Pedro"...

mexicobuff

Mar 13, 2011, 11:12 AM

Post #20 of 23 (9515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Hotel near GDL Airport

Yes, because the name of the town is actually San Pedro Tlaquepaque.

cristalhombre

Mar 13, 2011, 2:30 PM

Post #21 of 23 (9491 views)

Shortcut

I've stayed at that Hampton + and about 50 other Hamptons in the US/Canada with my work travel schedule. Generally a good value, comfortable, clean and reasonable for urban locations.

I'm an early bird and in the states you can head down to the Hampton lobby dining area early for coffee and a paper - like 5AM. I stayed at the GDL-Airport Hampton shortly after they opened and their breakfast (pre-packaged muffins and juice) was not available until 7 - 7:30. So I took a cab to the airport and enjoyed a real breakfast at Wings (not bad) before my mid morning flight. Wings was opening about 6:30 at the south end of the main terminal (I believe it is the last automatic entrance) - Wings is just inside the door. It was fine - better than a Hostess twinky type muffin from Hampton.

I know you are a "foodie" Anonimo, as we enjoyed soup together maybe 5 years ago in Patzcuaro. I recall 'la sopa' was a variation of the tarascan bean?? Tasty!

I just didn't want you to be disappointed with the FREE breakfast @ Hampton. It is included, it just was not open early when I stayed there and the breakfast bar was 'weak". I am normally satisfied with yogurt and fruit - neither were available. Maybe that has changed...........Hilton Properties (owns the Hampton name) likes uniformity - and they keep tabs on the customer input.

Bien viaje.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Anonimo

Mar 13, 2011, 3:39 PM

Post #22 of 23 (9483 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Hotel near GDL Airport

Thanks, Cristalhombre. I don't have the highest expectation of the breakfast quality at Hampton Inn GDL. Our flight departs at 9:25 a.m. so we should be able to get something sustaining at Wing after check-in.

Saludos,
Anonimo

skier14

Mar 13, 2011, 4:59 PM

Post #23 of 23 (9461 views)

Shortcut

After you pass the security scan, upstairs in the boarding area you will also find a ¨Chili´s¨. They serve breakfast.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4