Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Ron Dupas

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 3 (8917 views)

Shortcut

La Escondida Restaurant in Tecate Mexico

Can't Post |

Our first visit into Mexico, although only a few hundred yards into the country, resulted in our experiencing fantastic mexican food at this restaurant in Tecate. I'd like to hear from people who know about mexican food, why are the dishes served up in mexican restaurants in the US (Oregon at least), even when run by people from mexico, so... different (I'm avoiding being judegmental and unkind.) One obvious difference was no cheddar cheese... a white cheese instead (Goat cheese?) Everything tasted better... the beans, the rice, especially the stuffed pepper. The Tamale was wonderful. How can I learn to make mexican food that taste like we had at La Escondida?

Mystified,

Ron Dupas
Gresham, Oregon

Ric

Post #2 of 3 (8914 views)

Shortcut

La Escondida Restaurant in Tecate Mexico

Can't Post |

My friend, you are starting out on a very long journey. Mexico's food is incredibly varied and it is possible you will learn anything but a part of it, but it is worth the effort. I suggest getting a few good cookbooks. Diane Kennedy is really informative and a stickler for authenticity (so her recipes tend to be complicated) so she will give you a good background. Another book I found very helpful is by Zarela Martinez, a chef in New York who is originally from Sonora. I can't remember the title (it's at home and I'm at work, but it is something like "food from my heart". It is as much an autobiography and tour guide through the mexican kitchen as a collection of recipes. Good Luck!!

Loco

Post #3 of 3 (8913 views)

Shortcut

Her web site

Can't Post |

.)
Food from My Heart is no orthodox cookbook. It is a gifted chef's own story told through uninhibited memories of her family, descriptions of the northern Mexican ranch life she was born into, absorbing accounts of the many journeys that shaped her knowledge of food, and explorations of Mexican culture and religion -- all interwoven with 175-plus beautifully written recipes. From these elements Zarela Martínez has created a complex, very personal introduction to Mexico's diverse culinary traditions.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4