Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

T

Mar 8, 2011, 12:14 PM

Post #1 of 13 (5894 views)

Shortcut

!988 BMW convertible

Can't Post | Private Reply
My mordidas topic appears to have been seriously sideswiped and has run its course, but it did bring to mind, that I have custody of the above mentioned vehicle, in good condition for a vehicle of that age. It is California plated, belongs to my elderly landlady who will not be returning to Mexico. If I sell it without paperwork, which I do not have and the buyer gets in an accident, she is not touchable, but can they go after her property? Would like to hear from anyone that really knows, and is not making a guess. Thanks, T

DavidHF

Mar 8, 2011, 4:04 PM

Post #2 of 13 (5863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] !988 BMW convertible

So you're talking about selling a vehicle that is in the country illegally without "paperwork" which I assume means title? Sounds like a can of worms to me.

(This post was edited by DavidHF on Mar 8, 2011, 4:17 PM)

Rolly

Mar 8, 2011, 4:11 PM

Post #3 of 13 (5858 views)

Shortcut

What I know is that it is never wise to deliberately, knowingly break the law.

Rolly Pirate

T

Mar 9, 2011, 3:16 PM

Post #4 of 13 (5771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] !988 BMW convertible

You are spot on and it gets worse. I have been told that a Mexican law was passed two or three years ago, outlawing in Mexico all vehicles not built in North America. A 1988 Beemer was clearly built in North America. Still think no Beemers are built here. Was told that the car could be confiscated and should only be driven in lakeside and when stopped by a local cop, be prepared to pay a 200 or so peso bribe. My guess is that very few transitos know this law. Yup, it is a mess. I offered to push the car off a cliff, but the owner did not find me amusing, in the least. What an albatross that vehicle is. Anybody know if what I have been told is true?

It does not seem logical that a vehicle would be allowed into Mexico, then outlawed with no grandfather clause that would allow it here.

Wish I knew the real scoop.

Ah, the wonders of Mexico. T

T

Mar 9, 2011, 3:23 PM

Post #5 of 13 (5770 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] !988 BMW convertible

I agree, Rolly. How would I be breaking the law? My thinking is I would just be a conduit for funds, but am not the owner of the vehicle. As such, could I suffer criminal implications? Does anyone truly know? So many questions and no answers, based on fact. What a mess. The reason for me starting this topic was that I had friends storing the vehicle, they are no longer able to do so and I have no storage room, so will have to pay rent on storage. And life goes on, I hope. T

T

Mar 9, 2011, 3:30 PM

Post #6 of 13 (5768 views)

Shortcut

Oops. A 1988 Beemer was clearly NOT buil in Noth America. How do I edit a a post? thanks, T

vetteforron

Mar 10, 2011, 6:38 AM

Post #7 of 13 (5727 views)

Shortcut

T, I sent you a PM but I got no reply. I might be interested in the car for a parts car. Could I see the car and how much?

Pita

Mar 10, 2011, 6:43 AM

Post #8 of 13 (5722 views)

Shortcut

How wound you be breaking the law??? Selling a car without the papers? Sounds like theft to me. Or fraud.

what gives YOU the right (legally and morally) to sell this car?

Why would you even consider selling someone else's car when you know they won't legally own it and won't be able to insure it? What if they get in an accident? I'd guess they would be headed off to a Mexican jail.

What difference does it make that it's a convertible (as you said in the subject line)? And that it has low miles and is in great shape? Unless, just maybe, you were hoping somebody here might relieve you of this "mess" by buying it?

And why are YOU responsible for paying for storage on someone else's car?

(i also find it interesting that a local realtor is renting, but that's another topic.)

T

Mar 10, 2011, 12:25 PM

Post #9 of 13 (5670 views)

Shortcut

Re: [vetteforron] !988 BMW convertible

You did and I received it. Sorry, for my non-reply. Still working with the son of the owner to get rid of this puppy, as now I am having storage issues. Stay tuned, as I am making progress and am optimistic. I am waiting for permission to sell it. T

T

Mar 10, 2011, 12:31 PM

Post #10 of 13 (5669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] !988 BMW convertible

Whoa. Slow down. You are asking the very same questions that I have. That is why the vehicle is currently NOT for sale. If you understood that I was currently trying to sell some else's vehicle, I apologize for my inability to communicate with you. I am working with the owner's son as to how to make this a legal transaction, as his mother is incapacitated. Sorry for the misunderstanding. T

T

Mar 10, 2011, 12:34 PM

Post #11 of 13 (5669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] !988 BMW convertible

Just reread my post and can clearly see how you could have posted your reply, but I am not trying to do anything illegal. T.

Axixic

Mar 10, 2011, 3:21 PM

Post #12 of 13 (5630 views)

Shortcut

I'm sure the son can get the title so if someone wants to buy it, drive to the border, sell it to the person, have that person take the old title to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (something like that) and transfer the title to his/her name and register it in Texas. The buyer can legally drive it back into Mexico.

T

Mar 11, 2011, 12:07 PM

Post #13 of 13 (5546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] !988 BMW convertible

The good news is that the son found the title, or as Californians uniquely call it, the pink slip. Even though I understand it is no longer pink. Guess it is like us calling Shaw Direct, Star Choice and No Immigrante card, an FM3.

He is signing the title and sending me a copy of his power of attorney to show that he has the right to do so. Checked with my attorneys and they said that I will legally be allowed to sell the car with those documents.

The next problem is getting the car into the new owner's name and I do have a buyer who has dual Mexican and American citizenship. Even if he buys it, the car is still, acccording to Mexico owned by my landlady and if the buyer gets into a serious injury accident, even though she is gone from Mexico, she owns expensive properties here and they could go after them.

Did I mention that the Beemer is currently not driveable? Even if it were, I would not be going in a 1988 BMW back to the border to make it Mexican.

I solve one problem and get two more as a result.

I still need help. Also, need help with the Beemer. The more I know, the less I know.

T.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4