Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

sparks

Mar 4, 2011, 5:18 PM

Post #1 of 7 (7942 views)

Shortcut

Sealing stairs and counter top

Can't Post | Private Reply
My workers are suggesting 'sella-crete' (spelling is not on Internet) to seal my outside stairs and a kitchen counter top. They say there's a more expensive brand but the difference is minimal and cost substantial.

Both are cement and granito ... one ground smooth and the other not

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

chinagringo

Mar 4, 2011, 6:21 PM

Post #2 of 7 (7926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Sealing stairs and counter top

From our experience both in Mexico and NOB, diligent surface prep and cleaning and then application of the very best available sealer will pay off for many years and you won't regret the effort put forth or the cost. Do a poor job of prepping and use a marginal product will result in more frequent maintenance or the really tedious process of stripping the original application and doing it right the next go around. The other key factor is your choice of applicators. My personal preference has always been a natural sheepskin applicator but that may be a problem in Mexico. Synthetics of any type, including synthetic sponge have not given positive results in my experiences. If I was somewhere where the sheepskin applicator was not available, I think I would try to rig up an applicator made out of a raw 100% untreated cotton (no sizing or other chemical treatment) - maybe even a cheesecloth?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Bennie García

Mar 4, 2011, 6:32 PM

Post #3 of 7 (7924 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My workers are suggesting 'sella-crete' (spelling is not on Internet) to seal my outside stairs and a kitchen counter top. They say there's a more expensive brand but the difference is minimal and cost substantial.

Both are cement and granito ... one ground smooth and the other not

They are probably talking about Sellacril. I don't like it much. It is more of a surface finish, lays on top of whatever you apply it to and changes the sheen to a gloss or semi-gloss. I've seen it peel off over time.

I use Festex Silicón. I have used it a lot on cantera. It soaks in deep and has excellent water repellant properties and it doesn't change the appearance of the material to which it is applied.

rockydog85251

Mar 4, 2011, 7:16 PM

Post #4 of 7 (7917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Sealing stairs and counter top

We used Sellacril on our desayuandor & kitchen floor, over pre-sealed saltillo tiles. After about 6 yrs. I had to re-apply.
Just be aware of ongoing maintenance!
On the other hand, we used an acrylic sealer on our white cantera bedroom floor, with disastrous results as the technician had no clue as to what he was doing! We did see it on other floors in other housese & it was wonderful, with a 15 yr. guarantee.

Good luck!
Willie

johninajijic

Mar 4, 2011, 10:05 PM

Post #5 of 7 (7908 views)

Shortcut

I think they mean SellAcryl manufactured by Perdura in GDL. It's Acrylic as you can tell by the name. Out of the 19 homes in our Community, SellAcryl was used to coat the Barro (Saltillo) tile in two houses with reasonably good success. ALL the other houses had the tile coated with 2 or 3 coats of Polyform, either Gloss or Semi Gloss. Polyform needs a catalyst and thinner and is similar to a Polyurethane. It take 6 hours minimum to dry with lots of ventilation and stinks like hell.

SellAcryl costs less than 1/4 of the price of Polyform. Polyform is the highest priced crap I've seen here considering it's made in Mexico. Polyform comes in Interior and Exterior qualities. I suggest using the Exterior on the Interior. It's about $ 800. pesos a gallon!

I don't care what you use on Barro (Saltillo) tile, it will always need periodic recoating ever 3 - 4 years. Make sure you follow directions for either product or it will turn out disastrous. Better to get a knowledgeable Contractor with references.

sparks

Mar 5, 2011, 5:46 AM

Post #6 of 7 (7898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Sealing stairs and counter top

Festex Silicón sounds like the best option and it's not a two part (catalyst) product. Working with a catalyst sounds too much like fiberglass

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Sculptari

Mar 6, 2011, 11:38 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7844 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Here´s a good link covering the different stone and concrete sealers. http://www.radonseal.com/concrete_sealer.htm

I have used most of them. It is a question of what is available locally. The silicone sealer is most likely a variation of siloxane. The brands, and prices, vary to the actual silicone content, silicone is very expensive. The advantage is they are easy to apply, look great, and allow the stone/concrete to ´breathe´ and live a natural life. The downside is that they have to be reapplied every couple of years. It is like the coating washes away.

I really like the silicate coatings as touted on that site. They should be widely used because they are environmentally friendly and very effective. The problem is that the main ingredient, potassium silicate (an upgrade to sodium silicate - water glass), is fantastically inexpensive. No profit in selling - so it never gets to market. This makes a great mineral paint too - very popular in Europe as ¨Keim¨ paints. It is odorless, fireproof, like a liquid sand.
no longer active on Mexconnect

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 6, 2011, 12:30 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4