Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Mac539

Mar 1, 2011, 3:52 AM

Post #1 of 17 (16949 views)

Shortcut

Do not consider Tabasco

Can't Post | Private Reply
Other than Villahermosa, there is not much here. I liked the life in the poblados, but now the cartels are moving in. In the country, there are no police. These punks with guns can pretty much do what they want. In poblado 20 in Cardenas, they have stolen 3 pickup trucks at gun point in the last 6 weeks. I feel I have to leave or be kidnapped.

If you are thinking of moving to Mexico, I would go to the larger cities with police and federales. The states I think are still OK are Veracruz, Chiapas, And Campeche. Others are probably OK but they do not come to mind. Puebla maybe.

I think Mexico is its own worst enemy. For you gun control people, all you have to do is look at the situation here to see the calamity it brings. Only the bad guys have arms. The good people cannot defend themselves. You get these punks walking into bars and shooting the place up. No one can fire back. Not much bravery here.

Anyway, we are moving to Ciudad del Carmen. I will sell the store here in 20.

Timo

yTABDGdW

Mar 1, 2011, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 17 (16906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mac539] Do not consider Tabasco

Puebla is one of the safer places in all of Mexico in my opinion. If you want really really safe and really really interesting and historical consider Tlaxcala.

Chiapas is a mixed bag. Depends where in Chiapas you are but it has its own challenges. If you are in the highlands there are issues with the indigenous population. If you are in the south, you are on the border with Guatemala and like any border it is a transit point that gangs fight over to control.

Im hoping the good Mexican people finally get fed up with it all and communities start taking matters into their own hands.

(This post was edited by Memo on Mar 1, 2011, 10:08 AM)

chicois8

Mar 1, 2011, 12:31 PM

Post #3 of 17 (16879 views)

Shortcut

Mac539 quote:
"Anyway, we are moving to Ciudad del Carmen. I will sell the store here in 20."

20 what?

minutes
hours
days
years
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

joaquinx

Mar 1, 2011, 2:51 PM

Post #4 of 17 (16857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Do not consider Tabasco

I believe that he is talking about pob. c-20 which is north-west of Cárdenas
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

panama john

Mar 2, 2011, 10:36 AM

Post #5 of 17 (16787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Do not consider Tabasco

It probably wouldn't be wise to live in any small town in Mexico,under 10,000, at this time. There are many cities in different parts of the country,large, medium, and small,that are still quite safe. All you need to do is take some time and look around with open eyes and an open mind.

RickS

Mar 2, 2011, 3:26 PM

Post #6 of 17 (16760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [panama john] Do not consider Tabasco

Would you expound on "It probably wouldn't be wise to live in any small town in Mexico, under 10,000, at this time."?

Mexico is quite a large country and your statement seems to me to be quite a leap.

panama john

Mar 3, 2011, 6:50 AM

Post #7 of 17 (16697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Do not consider Tabasco

I probably generalized a little to much. There may be some smaller towns in Mexico in some states that would be ok to live. But from past personal experiences I have learned that it is much safer to live in a larger metropolitan area where you will be afforded a lower profile. Living in small communities, although in many ways a more personal and rewarding experience, doesn't allow you to maintain that low profile. In time, everyone in the pueblo will know who you are, where you live, what kind of car you drive, etc. Unfortunately the realities of living in present day Mexico require one to use good judgement in where to live, travel, what kind of car to drive, what roads to travel, etc.

yTABDGdW

Mar 3, 2011, 11:00 AM

Post #8 of 17 (16670 views)

Shortcut

THAT is a very good point and very true.

panama john

Mar 3, 2011, 12:41 PM

Post #9 of 17 (16653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Memo] Do not consider Tabasco

In today's borderland beat: "Ciudad Juarez residents close over 2000 streets,many without municipal gov. approval, to keep criminals out. Maybe the Mexican public is going to do something about the crime that is battering the country, hopefully so, because the Mexican and US governments aren't.

prorader

Mar 3, 2011, 1:15 PM

Post #10 of 17 (16638 views)

Shortcut

This is the best news in years. stand up and fight for your family, your neighborhood, and your country. It is impossible to believe that Mexico will not give the people the right to bear arms to protect themselves, so make your own weapons to protect your family (Not against your country) but you family, friends, and neighborhood. The Narco's are killing you anyway so go down F****** fighting. not my house, not my children. If you read this then you have access to all of the information in the world on self protection on the internet (the old standard was the Alchemist handbook) don't know if it is still out there. Please note that I am not preaching against the Mexican government in any way, just how to protect U and yours

prorader

Mar 3, 2011, 1:51 PM

Post #11 of 17 (16631 views)

Shortcut

We are moving to Villahermosa in April, but as a gringo there will not be any there

Vichil

Mar 3, 2011, 3:34 PM

Post #12 of 17 (16605 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prorader] Do not consider Tabasco

Sorry to disapoint you there are gringos in Villahermosa. There are gringos just about everywhere. I met some who spoke fluent Tzotzil in Chenalho, I met some in the most unexpected places. They usually speak Spanish or are pretty lonely.
Hope you like heat and humidity!

Mac539

Mar 3, 2011, 3:46 PM

Post #13 of 17 (16603 views)

Shortcut

Villahermosa is OK. Major part of oil patch. A little too much traffic for my taste. They have a big market and the best bootery(boteria de vaqueros) in Mexico. And it is enjoyable sitting in the river park drinking or eating. The zoo is really neat with all the Olmec heads. You can pay as much for a hotel room there as you would in Houston, or get a nice reasonable one. One of the cleaner cities. They even have a natural food supermarket. If you want to go to the beach, there is Paraiso. I never liked it much though. It is the only place I have been called "Guero." Once in a while someone will surprise you by speaking English, but it is rare.

There are not many gringos there. I have seen a few coming out of a downtown hotel once. But know of none myself. This would not be a retirement place. For Gringos to be there, they would probably be in the oil business.

(This post was edited by Mac539 on Mar 3, 2011, 3:52 PM)

prorader

Mar 3, 2011, 4:15 PM

Post #14 of 17 (16592 views)

Shortcut

My lady is Mexican I forgot to post, she has 2 brothers that live there her favorites. The one has a 100 yr old 2 story house, where we can live. As far as english the town I live in now I am the only gringo, but no one wants to speak spanish to me they all me to teach english, hay 40 pesos an hour. I call it happy english, sure does pay for the rum and coke

(This post was edited by prorader on Mar 3, 2011, 4:18 PM)

Mac539

Mar 3, 2011, 4:34 PM

Post #15 of 17 (16582 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My lady is Mexican I forgot to post, she has 2 brothers that live there her favorites. The one has a 100 yr old 2 story house, where we can live. As far as english the town I live in now I am the only gringo, but no one wants to speak spanish to me they all me to teach english, hay 40 pesos an hour. I call it happy english, sure does pay for the rum and coke

Es 40 pesos cada por hora? Si mas que uno, suena como un negocio!

(This post was edited by Mac539 on Mar 3, 2011, 4:35 PM)

Vichil

Mar 4, 2011, 5:45 AM

Post #16 of 17 (16538 views)

Shortcut

Do not worry Prorader you will learn Spanish in Villahermosa not many people to speak English with there.

Aaron+

Apr 27, 2012, 3:09 PM

Post #17 of 17 (13656 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
If you are thinking of moving to Mexico, I would go to the larger cities with police and federales. The states I think are still OK are Veracruz, Chiapas, And Campeche. Others are probably OK but they do not come to mind. Puebla maybe.
Timo

Veracrus, Chiapas, and Campeche? You are kidding, no? Aguascalientes and Yucatan are on any short list for relatively secure states.

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Apr 27, 2012, 3:12 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4