Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Diana

Feb 28, 2011, 6:44 PM

Post #1 of 14 (14346 views)

Shortcut

Other than Veracruz and Xalapa

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

Veracruz seems a little too hot and Xalapa a little too cold for us. Are there any other great places to live in the vicinity that would qualify as "in between" and would not be too far away from either? Or...any other suggestions?

Diana

joaquinx

Mar 1, 2011, 5:50 AM

Post #2 of 14 (14297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Diana] Other than Veracruz and Xalapa

Not really. There is Emiliano Zapata and Rinconada between Xalapa and Cardel, but wouldn't classify them as "great." Xalapa is really not that cold except for the last two weeks of January and the first two weeks of February.

You might want to look at Córdoba which lies between Veracruz and Orizaba. It has warmer temperatures than Xalapa, yet in the mountains away from the heat of the coast.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

dongringo_catemaco

Mar 1, 2011, 6:13 AM

Post #3 of 14 (14289 views)

Shortcut

try Papantla
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papantla,_Veracruz
Visit Catemaco News

Vichil

Mar 1, 2011, 6:33 AM

Post #4 of 14 (14284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Other than Veracruz and Xalapa

Orizaba , Cordoba, Fortin de las Flores.

Vichil

Mar 2, 2011, 8:18 AM

Post #5 of 14 (14217 views)

Shortcut

I only stay in Orizaba, Fortin or Cordoba twice a year but I have notice that January and February can be pretty cold and foggy and or rainy.. The fog starts on the hill going down to Orizaba.
This year we came down in February and the fog did not lift up until Tuxtla. There were tons of accidents, idiots tailgaiting and going way to fast in the pea soup. I hate that part of the road in the winter. In April or May the weather is nice but the humidity is pretty high.
As a result the countryside is beautiful and lush. We love to visit the State of Vera Cruz but have not chosen to live there because of the climate.

joaquinx

Mar 3, 2011, 7:24 AM

Post #6 of 14 (14165 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Other than Veracruz and Xalapa

In Reply To
This year we came down in February and the fog did not lift up until Tuxtla. There were tons of accidents, idiots tailgaiting and going way to fast in the pea soup. I hate that part of the road in the winter.

What road were you on? When you mention "Tuxtla", are you writing about Santiago and San Andrés? If so, that's a large foggy area.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

panama john

Mar 3, 2011, 9:58 AM

Post #7 of 14 (14146 views)

Shortcut

We live in Cordoba, a very niece and safe city, but there is lots of rain, mist, fog, and the winter is damp and cold. Looking for suggestions on other less damp and humid areas.

joaquinx

Mar 3, 2011, 10:59 AM

Post #8 of 14 (14138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [panama john] Other than Veracruz and Xalapa

Friends who used to live in Coatepec have moved to near Oaxaca City to escape the cold, damp winters only to find the winters there are colder, but not damp. I don't believe that there is a place in Veracruz that is not humid.
_______

panama john

Mar 3, 2011, 12:24 PM

Post #9 of 14 (14128 views)

Shortcut

Your right about that. The verdant mountains of Veracruz act like a giant sponge and suck the water in off the gulf. No place is perfect, but I believe I can handle the dry cold a little better then dampness here in Cordoba. Maybe Queretaro would be a good option.

Pata Salada

Apr 15, 2011, 6:25 AM

Post #10 of 14 (13879 views)

Shortcut

You may want to look at Catemaco. A little south of Veracruz port. Check out catemaco.info for reference.

Vichil

Apr 15, 2011, 2:33 PM

Post #11 of 14 (13838 views)

Shortcut

I was speaking of Tuxtla Gutierrez as the other Tuxtlas are also damp- We had foggy and damp weather from Orizaba to Tuxtla Gutierrez. The weather was finally nice in Tuxtla Gutierrez.
Next time we will go down via Oaxaca. The weather there can be cold but it is dry and sunny.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Apr 15, 2011, 2:37 PM)

Pata Salada

Apr 15, 2011, 7:39 PM

Post #12 of 14 (13817 views)

Shortcut

Los Tuxtlas (Santiago Tuxtla, San Andres and Catemaco) are very nice during January and February. I wouldn't consider them damp. Close to the beaches but a little higher up.

alexmont

Apr 4, 2012, 2:17 AM

Post #13 of 14 (11559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pata Salada] Other than Veracruz and Xalapa

In Reply To
Los Tuxtlas (Santiago Tuxtla, San Andres and Catemaco) are very nice during January and February. I wouldn't consider them damp. Close to the beaches but a little higher up.
And what about these places in the summer ?
hvac expert

Sunnyvmx

Apr 5, 2012, 4:37 AM

Post #14 of 14 (11498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alexmont] Other than Veracruz and Xalapa

April and May are our two hot months. We are still in the 80s and not very humid. I am in Catemaco that enjoys a nice breeze from the lake and river at the highest altitude. We may experience a day or two that can reach 100 degrees with cool mornings and evenings, but mostly in the 90s. I can work outside in the garden until 2pm and then it's time for the pool. The rains start in June and mostly at night, but it's back in the 80s again.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4