Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

sharron

Feb 27, 2011, 10:53 PM

Post #1 of 8 (8160 views)

Shortcut

long term rental in SMA

Can't Post | Private Reply
Need long term rental starting July 2011. Two bedroom but simple is fine. I am an artist who needs a sunny place central in SMA.

johnv

Feb 28, 2011, 7:43 PM

Post #2 of 8 (8104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sharron] long term rental in SMA

There is the local paper: "Atencion". The web page is currently under construction however, but the paper is an excellent source of classified advertising if you are in San Miguel in person: http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/?enghome

There is the "Falling in Love with San Miguel Forum: http://forumsfallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com/ , which mentions rentals.

And there are many many real estate agents, most of them online, which can be googled.

Also there is the Civil_SMA List, which is I believe is a Yahoo group. I don't know much about it though. It can also be googled.

The best way to locate rentals is to be there in person.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 28, 2011, 8:01 PM)

sharron

Feb 28, 2011, 8:57 PM

Post #3 of 8 (8082 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] long term rental in SMA

Yes, I know in person is the best but I am hoping to have something set up for when I arrive. Can't really afford hotels while searching. Have been thinking about sending a notice in Spanish/English to a friend who lives there and begging that she put them up on various notice boards around town. That's why I asked here, to see if anyone knew of anything. Even something for a week or so while I search. Thanks for the advice.

ken_in_dfw

Mar 1, 2011, 8:25 AM

Post #4 of 8 (8041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sharron] long term rental in SMA

Can't Post |
As johnv advised, nothing beats feet on the street. That said, if you really need to locate something online before you get there, your best bet is Carol Schmidt's Falling In Love fora, specifically, the "Rentals sought and offered" forum. They focus on inexpensive properties for folks like yourself. Good luck.

tacito

Mar 3, 2011, 3:27 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] long term rental in SMA

Also you might look in Craigs' List for rentals. There is a landlady down the street from me in San Miguel who regularly gets her tenants by listing there. Her rents are very reasonable...

tacito

jcwst

Mar 7, 2011, 8:46 AM

Post #6 of 8 (7800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tacito] long term rental in SMA

Look at VRBO.com

Brian

Mar 7, 2011, 11:43 AM

Post #7 of 8 (7770 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jcwst] long term rental in SMA

The Spanish language schools in town maintain a list of Mexican families who rent out rooms in their homes on a weekly basis. That option is far cheaper and more enriching than staying temporarily in a hotel. The houseparents can give you tips about neighborhoods and other inside information to which many gringos are not privy. By all means, chat with other foreigners in the Jardin, but take advantage of all available opportunities to learn from the locals as well.

jerezano

Mar 16, 2011, 9:38 AM

Post #8 of 8 (7546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] long term rental in SMA

Hello all,

The problem with the Spanish Language Schools' List of Family Stays is that most schools insist that those families do not take people who are not registered with a school. If they do, then they are removed from the school's list.

At least this was the situation in the past. Guess you can only try and see what happens.

As ever, jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4