Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Chrismac

Feb 27, 2011, 4:04 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6353 views)

Shortcut

Plumbing in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I need to find out what the pipe sizes are for a standard domestic drain for a shower in any home in Mexico?

sparks

Feb 27, 2011, 5:43 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chrismac] Plumbing in Mexico

Mine are 2 1/2. Why do you need to know

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

chicois8

Feb 27, 2011, 6:20 AM

Post #3 of 7 (6327 views)

Shortcut

I believe 1 1/2" to 2" would be sufficient for a shower/tub, kitchen sink or lavatory,

3" to 4" for a water closet/toilet...

Papirex

Feb 27, 2011, 9:24 AM

Post #4 of 7 (6293 views)

Shortcut

They seem to use English pipe sizes down here, 1 1/2”. 2”, 3”, 4”, etc. There are no effective plumbing codes in Mexico. However, in countries that do have enforced pluming codes, “Fixture units” have been assigned to almost every fixture. A toilet is usually 6 units, a sink, or shower/bathtub is 2 units, a lavatory is 1 unit, etc. A lavatory is not a sink, it is a wash basin in a bathroom, the toilet is a water closet.

Pipes of various sizes are also rated for the amount of fixture units they are capable of handling for a given length. It should be known that when you double a pipe size, you quadruple the carrying capacity. You can do the math to confirm it, but a simpler illustration is to picture a 1 inch square inside a 2 inch square box. Plumbing pipes are sized by their inside diameter, not the outside diameter. Outside diameter pipes and tubing are used in refrigeration and control work. I used to be an instrument technician too.

Many people welcome the freedom from building codes here. It should be noted that just about every building code, plumbing, heating, structural, electrical etc. has been challenged in court in The US. Virtually the only successful defense for them has been on the grounds of public health and public safety.

Yes, I was a licensed plumber in several states, after five years of education and experience to pass the state tests.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sparks

Feb 27, 2011, 9:52 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Plumbing in Mexico

Guess I can't edit the above ... but I must have been guessing. All the universal drains I see on the Internet fit 2,3 or 4" pipe. Mine must be 2"

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

rodroc

Dec 17, 2013, 3:15 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Plumbing in Mexico

I have to agree. 1 1/2 or 2 inch pipes, should be more than enough for a shower or tub. There are plenty of options.

Regards
Rod
http://allaboutthepipes.com/

stevebrtx

Dec 20, 2013, 5:56 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1258 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rodroc] Plumbing in Mexico

Around here, the one thing you seldom see is a vent stack. For some reason they don't bother so you have the problem of sucking those cheezy shallow traps dry. I brought down a vacuum break to put under my kitchen sink a few years ago to solve the problem there.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4