Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

dstan

Feb 25, 2011, 10:32 AM

Post #1 of 7 (8682 views)

Shortcut

Visiting the Monarch Sanctuary

Can't Post | Private Reply
We would like to visit the Monarch Sanctuary from Puerto Vallarta soon. Would like to hear from those who have visited this year. Where to stay and best way to see the butterflies etc. Will it be safe to drive or should be just take a bus? Any info and tips much appreciated. Thanks

raferguson

Feb 25, 2011, 6:38 PM

Post #2 of 7 (8642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dstan] Visiting the Monarch Sanctuary

The Monarch Sanctuary is in Michoacan, which is having serious problems with narco violence. Probably not a great time to go.

If I were going to go, I would not take a personal vehicle, I would stick to public transport during daylight hours.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

chinagringo

Feb 25, 2011, 7:04 PM

Post #3 of 7 (8636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Visiting the Monarch Sanctuary

A pretty broad brush seems to be being used to paint all of Michoacan. By all of the news reports that I follow for Morelia and the rest of Michoacan, I would have to say that the situation is a dull roar at the present time but that it may flare up on a moments notice. That said, Zitacuaro has a number of hotels where people typically stay when visiting the Monarch Sanctuaries. You could not pay me enough to consider staying or traveling through there since it is a well documented stronghold for La Familia and there have been numerous incidents in this town. It goes back to the wrong place at the wrong time theory!

A news report on the effect of the violence:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/...torments-1001838.php
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Feb 25, 2011, 7:08 PM)

Anonimo

Feb 26, 2011, 2:45 AM

Post #4 of 7 (8623 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Visiting the Monarch Sanctuary

Although I agree, more or less, with Neil's assessment of the risks, groups of friends of ours have visited the butterflies recently, without any incidents.

Saludos,
Anonimo

barbaroja

Feb 26, 2011, 7:12 PM

Post #5 of 7 (8568 views)

Shortcut

We drove from San Miguel de Allende to the Monarch Sanctuary two weeks ago and the only hazards on the road were a couple of HUGE speed bumps that I hit full speed and bent my drive shaft.

We stayed in Eréndira Cabins in Los Azufres - a geothermal area about an hour from the sanctuary. Here is a link to more info about the cabins: http://www.mexonline.com/erendira.htm

No need to make reservations in advance at the sanctuary. There will be guides and horses (which I recommend) waiting for you when you get there.

Barba Roja
http://www.mapaverdesanmiguel.org/

cerebros

Apr 22, 2011, 10:50 PM

Post #6 of 7 (7711 views)

Shortcut

I personally would not go to the Sanctuary right now. The US State Dept has warned that along with parts of Oaxaca, Northeast Mexico. and some urban areas it is one of the riskier areas of Mexico for tourists. You will be in an isolated area... I was planning to travel there but changed my mind after one night in Morelia -- it seemed like there was a dark cloud over the entire downtown. Sirens screamed all night. Even the cathedral seemed sinister. The entire state of Michoacan is very troubled. It is a beautiful place, but the Drug Wars (and corporate impunity) have taken a huge toll. If you must go, take a deluxe bus, stay with the group, and stay off the roads at night. Also
dress conservatively (no flashy jewelry).

Anonimo

Apr 23, 2011, 4:09 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cerebros] Visiting the Monarch Sanctuary

If you are looking for monarch butterflies, now would not be a good time to go, as they have flown north already.

Sorry that your visit to Morelia was so fraught with an impression of danger. My impression is that the danger has ebbed for now. But that's all these are: personal takes on possible danger.

Lately I've been more concerned about being pulled over by greedy cops looking for possible defects in our vehicle's importation papers than outright narcosicarios.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4