Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

raferguson

Feb 23, 2011, 9:00 AM

Post #1 of 10 (6084 views)

Shortcut

First two rows?

Can't Post | Private Reply
In English, we talk about the first two rows, meaning rows 1 and 2. But when I try to write it in Spanish, it looks funny.

Las dos primaras filas.

Is that right? I am used to thinking about "Primaro piso", but not in terms of using primara in the plural. Maybe this is OK, just not an everyday usage.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

mazbook1

Feb 23, 2011, 10:27 AM

Post #2 of 10 (6068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] First two rows?

I think it would look less strange if written, Los dos filas primaras, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty certain that the Los goes with dos rather than with filas. That would translate as, "both of the first (two) rows".

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Feb 23, 2011, 10:30 AM)

La Isla

Feb 23, 2011, 10:47 AM

Post #3 of 10 (6059 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] First two rows?

I have the feeling that you can't directly translate "first two rows" into Spanish. You would have to say something like "las filas uno y dos".

Bennie García

Feb 23, 2011, 10:56 AM

Post #4 of 10 (6057 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
In English, we talk about the first two rows, meaning rows 1 and 2. But when I try to write it in Spanish, it looks funny.

Las dos primaras filas.

Is that right? I am used to thinking about "Primaro piso", but not in terms of using primara in the plural. Maybe this is OK, just not an everyday usage.

Richard

Las dos primeras filas o las primeras dos filas are both absolutely correct.

primero(a) changes in both gender and plural with the noun it modifies.

en las primeras horas de la noches etc.

BTW it isn't primero piso but primer piso in the singular.

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Feb 23, 2011, 11:15 AM)

Maesonna

Feb 23, 2011, 11:49 AM

Post #5 of 10 (6049 views)

Shortcut

The wording that comes to mind as more usual is las primeras dos filas although las dos primeras filas wouldn't be incorrect. To my mind, the emphasis is a little different, though I don’t know for sure if I’m merely imagining that.

BTW, “primer piso, not primaro piso. But in general, primer(o), primeros, primera and primeras are all legitimate words that have their proper place.

eyePad

Feb 23, 2011, 5:16 PM

Post #6 of 10 (6037 views)

Shortcut

raffy,
You are correct. Las dos primeras filas is equivalent to the same idea in vernacular English. Other than your obvious spelling, etc errors which I think have been pointed out.

zaragemca

Mar 4, 2011, 9:33 AM

Post #7 of 10 (5943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eyePad] First two rows?

Greetings. I do agree with Bennie Garcia, these is one of those times in which we would say.
'El orden de los factores no altera el resultado'. The difference of how it sound with spanish speaking people, would be in relation of where they come from, one way of the phrase could be of more use in one country than in other. Gerry Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists

sioux4noff

Mar 5, 2011, 4:31 PM

Post #8 of 10 (5913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zaragemca] First two rows?

That would be similar to English, where the first two rows, or the two first rows, are pretty much interchangeable in use. Of course there really can't be 2 first rows, but it would be easily understood.

La Isla

Mar 5, 2011, 5:36 PM

Post #9 of 10 (5906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] First two rows?

Two first rows makes no sense to me at all! It certainly isn't something I would teach my English students as correct or understandable.

sioux4noff

Mar 5, 2011, 6:43 PM

Post #10 of 10 (5902 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] First two rows?

I wasn't clear - it is not correct usage, but most anyone would understand it if you said "the two first rows are reserved".

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4