Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Reefhound

Feb 21, 2011, 7:17 PM

Post #1 of 10 (15518 views)

Shortcut

Another reason to learn Spanish

Can't Post | Private Reply

Learning a Second Language Protects Against Alzheimer's

Want to protect against the effects of Alzheimer's? Learn another language.

That's the takeaway from recent brain research, which shows that bilingual people's brains function better and for longer after developing the disease.

Psychologist Ellen Bialystok and her colleagues at York University in Toronto recently tested about 450 patients who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Half of these patients were bilingual, and half spoke only one language.

click the linked title for more...

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Feb 21, 2011, 7:18 PM)

surjo666

May 6, 2011, 2:04 AM

Post #2 of 10 (14918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Another reason to learn Spanish

WOW!!!! Is this really true? If it is then this thought should be practiced more often....

TxMex

Sep 28, 2011, 7:38 PM

Post #3 of 10 (14141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surjo666] Another reason to learn Spanish

Hey! I had this theory first! Actually it makes perfect sense once you realize the language center takes up the largest chunk of our brains.

morgaine7

Sep 28, 2011, 9:52 PM

Post #4 of 10 (14132 views)

Shortcut

Spanish is my fourth language, and I still forget stuff. Maybe it's the wine, or the substances I "didn't inhale" in college.

Seriously, this is wonderful news for retirement age folks who have been, or have recently become, language learners. It could be just the motivational nudge needed by those of our acquaintance who are reluctant to make efforts at Spanish.

Kate

StarrieKane

Apr 8, 2012, 11:38 PM

Post #5 of 10 (12701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Another reason to learn Spanish

Basically i was not interested in learning Spanish but last month my friend got engaged to a Spanish guy and hence she has to learn it and she insisted me also and that's why i am learning it.
Sublimation coating

La Isla

Apr 9, 2012, 8:44 AM

Post #6 of 10 (12675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [StarrieKane] Another reason to learn Spanish

In Reply To
Basically i was not interested in learning Spanish but last month my friend got engaged to a Spanish guy and hence she has to learn it and she insisted me also and that's why i am learning it.

How nice that your friend is engaged to a Spanish guy. What part of Spain is he from?

Vichil

May 13, 2012, 12:09 PM

Post #7 of 10 (12167 views)

Shortcut

My ex boss who spoke 5 languages fluently was jut diagnosed with early Alzheimer on set...Does that mean it would have had Alzheimer at age 30 rather than 50 or that he had Alzheimer at age 30 but did not get diagnosed until age 50??

mazbook1

May 13, 2012, 11:17 PM

Post #8 of 10 (12146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Another reason to learn Spanish

Probably the latter, Vichil. Early-onset Alzheimer's is a whole different thing than the more common late-onset Alzheimer's. Probably, or possibly, the same eventual result, but with quite a different (and little understood) cause.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on May 13, 2012, 11:20 PM)

carolgreen363

Aug 16, 2012, 8:47 PM

Post #9 of 10 (11043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Another reason to learn Spanish

El español es mi idioma cuarto, y me olvido de cosas todavía. A lo mejor es el vino, o las sustancias que "no se tragaba el humo" en la universidad.

En serio, esto es una noticia maravillosa para las personas que han sido la edad de jubilación, o se han convertido recientemente, estudiantes de idiomas. Podría ser sólo el empujón de motivación que necesitan las personas de nuestra relación, que son reacios a hacer esfuerzos en español.

Trushi

Sep 3, 2012, 10:08 PM

Post #10 of 10 (10703 views)

Shortcut

Hey! I had this theory first! Actually it makes perfect sense once you realize the language center takes up the largest chunk of our brains.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4