Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

T

Feb 21, 2011, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 10 (9264 views)

Shortcut

Yahoo.com

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anybody here with Yahoo as their ISP having trouble? About half of the time when sending a message, I get a message from Yahoo that I have encountered a temporary problem, that will be fixed shortly. This is the third day. I cannot forward responses to e-mails, nor can I save them to draft. Poof. They disappear. any ideas? Thnks. T.

DavidHF

Feb 21, 2011, 2:30 PM

Post #2 of 10 (9234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Yahoo.com

Yahoo is NOT an ISP.

T

Feb 21, 2011, 2:47 PM

Post #3 of 10 (9218 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Yahoo.com

Yahoo is not an Internet Service Provider? What are they? Think I am just going back to bed and pulling the covers over my head. T

joaquinx

Feb 21, 2011, 3:05 PM

Post #4 of 10 (9214 views)

Shortcut

Yahoo as well as Google gets overloaded occasionally. Although I have a Yahoo account, I don't use the email feature and use GMail instead. GMail, on occasion, takes a while to load.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

RickS

Feb 21, 2011, 3:21 PM

Post #5 of 10 (9204 views)

Shortcut

No, as David has suggested to you T, Yahoo.com is not an ISP. But no-harm, no-foul IMHO. Your ISP is either Telmex or, if you are using the wireless service at Lakeside, Lagunanet. An ISP provides hardware and software which gives one "access to the Internet", not (necessarily) content. Sometimes ISP's provide one with email services wherein your email address would look something like T@telmex.com

Yahoo.com is a 'content' provider where content means 'information or services'. Email is another of the things that they provide (in the good-ole days, it was the only thing they provided but there was no money in just providing free email).

But back to your original question..... the problem you are having is not too uncommon for email providers.... especially free ones like Yahoo and hotmail. Because they are free (and old-line), zillions of folks use them. And occasionally there are problems and occasionally they take a while to fix. Using Sr. Google, I did not find anything 'out of the ordinary' going on with Yahoo mail today so just chill. Take a nap. Do some research on ISPs and DSLs and DHCPs and VPNs and......

As you were.....

Pita

Feb 21, 2011, 6:25 PM

Post #6 of 10 (9156 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Yahoo.com

I get this problem quite frequently on yahoo. Suggest you clear your cache as well as chill (as suggested by the prior poster).

Reefhound

Feb 21, 2011, 7:07 PM

Post #7 of 10 (9143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Yahoo.com

Not to disagree but Yahoo has partnerships with AT&T and SBC which blurs the line of who is the ISP.

johanson / Moderator

Feb 21, 2011, 8:29 PM

Post #8 of 10 (9114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Yahoo.com

So you are saying Reefhound, that if I want to connect to the internet here, along the shores of Lake Chapala, that I can connect through Yahoo? Or am I reading incorrectly between the lines (Smile)

I promise you that local ISPs do not include Yahoo. Oh sure via roaming at a very high price per minute through Telcel you could connect your GSM smart phone through Telcel to say AT&T

But no, Yahoo, is not considered an ISP in this part of the world.

We have clients at Lagunanet, for example, who do not understand that we are their ISP. But because their homepage is AOL, they believe that their ISP (Internet Service Provider) is also AOL. When I asked them what we were, I got a strange look.

I can use Yahoo for my homepage (which I do) whether I'm connect through my US Comcast ISP or my local Lagunanet ISP, or Telmex, or Telecable, or Hughes satellite, or, etc

(This post was edited by johanson on Feb 21, 2011, 8:44 PM)

Reefhound

Feb 21, 2011, 9:47 PM

Post #9 of 10 (9110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Yahoo.com

Not at all speaking of Lake Chapala or Mexico, just responding generally about yahoo to what appeared to be general statements about yahoo. I don't know what if any partnerships yahoo may have with Mexican ISPs.

vetteforron

Feb 22, 2011, 3:51 AM

Post #10 of 10 (9091 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] Yahoo.com

I have used yahoo since about 10 years. Clearing your cache will fix it.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4