Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

nadjusend

Feb 19, 2011, 8:19 AM

Post #1 of 4 (7986 views)

Shortcut

Driving the coast of Michocan and Guerrero

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

My husband and I are on an overland trip through Mexico. Because of some mechanical problems with our truck we need to readjust our route to make up time (need to get over to the east coast by April, we are in Manzanillo right now, waiting for parts). We would like to drive the coast of Michocan and Guerrero. We have been told not to enter the state of Michocan by locals. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this area? Any opinions are welcome. We're just not sure what to do.

(This post was edited by nadjusend on Feb 19, 2011, 8:22 AM)

Rolly

Feb 19, 2011, 8:32 AM

Post #2 of 4 (7978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nadjusend] Driving the coast of Michocan and Guerrero

Pay attention to what the local folks are telling you. That stretch of coastal highway has a really bad reputation.
I am sure you'll get reports from folks who have driven the route without incident, but there are many other horror stories.
I wanted to make that drive several years ago, but my Mexican friends in Manzanillo talked me out of it.
The drug activity in the area has increased since then. I would not make that drive.

Rolly Pirate

johnv

Feb 19, 2011, 10:10 AM

Post #3 of 4 (7954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nadjusend] Driving the coast of Michocan and Guerrero

I used to be an avid driver in Mexico, up until the last year, and especially the last month. I no longer go anywhere to speak of, by driving, except maybe neighboring towns. I used to do an annual vacation to Puerto Escondido driving from the state of Guanajuato to Playa Azul, Michoacan, and from there on MX200 to Puerto Escondido. I wouldn't think of it now. Mexico has changed.

Furthermore, the whole northeast quadrant is now off limits, effectively cutting me off from a land route to the USA.

You can do what you want, but personally, I would not drive the Michoacan or Guerrero coasts at this time. Nor would I drive MX57, the main corridor route. Nor anywhere in the states of Tamaulipas or Nuevo Leon.

Also, it is my belief, that the type of vehicle you are driving plays a big part in the "danger factor". The worst vehicles would be any 4 wheel drive, any SUV, or any large pick-up or van. The best vehicle would be something along the lines of a 10 year old Nissan Tsuru with Mexican plates. In fact I might just get an old Tsuru, as a second vehicle, because unfortunately my current vehicle is a rather new SUV with Texas plates.

Hasn't Mexico become a really fun place?

nadjusend

Feb 20, 2011, 6:56 PM

Post #4 of 4 (7857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Driving the coast of Michocan and Guerrero

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input! We've decided to drive around these states, I guess its not worth any potential problems to just save time.

Its too bad its like this. We adore Mexico and the people here (most of them!)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4