Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Catherine

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 12 (7722 views)

Shortcut

Does a Molcajete need to be oiled before using???

Can't Post |

I read that they need to be "cured" but haven't clue
on how to go about it. Was just gifted one and need
advice. Thank you.

Vic

Post #2 of 12 (7719 views)

Shortcut

OIL ??? IT's not a tune up !!! It's a cleaning process.. !!!

Can't Post |

Howdy !!!

Here is from the book of 'Personal Experience' signed by Vic and the Lost Thumb.

True is that a brand new Molcajete (which at a time was called 'Mexican Blender') need's to be cured or started, meaning, making sure whaterver you grind on it would come out clean and helathy.

To do this you DO have to bust up a couple of fingers as you have to grind some corn cloves on it for this purpose. Take a hand full of corn (color don't matter as long as it is uncooked and dried) and grind it on the Molcajete untill it becomes a grey-like paste, remove the paste and add another hand full (or as much as you can as by now you should now be missing some fingers) of the same type of corn, continue the (grinding, removing and adding and grinding and ....) process until one of two things happen, a) you run out of fingers..... OR b) the paste comes out clear.

At this point you must run water .... on the molcajete !!!! (Of course, because your fingers are long gone!!!) Be cool ....the thing is almost ready, all you have to do now is to bake it in the oven or at live fire for a few minutes (I alway wanted to know how long is A FEW MINUTES !!!) meaning 15 in oven or 5 on fire, Then you can start using it.....

All I can tell for my self is that I've been using my Mexican Blender for quite a few years and I'm alive, so either it works or I' immune to EVERYTHING I cook.

About the Salsa, guacamole and other things that you can make on them you have to ask to my buddies.

Oops, I almost forget, this treatment I got from the best cook I know ..... 'Mom' =)

Cheers.,

Vic.

Rey

Post #3 of 12 (7720 views)

Shortcut

OIL ??? IT's not a tune up !!! It's a cleaning process.. !!!

Can't Post |

Curious...why the baking part?

Rey

Vic

Post #4 of 12 (7720 views)

Shortcut

I was told that ....

Can't Post |

it was needed to close the roc's porus or tiny holes. The grinded corn that gets into the holes will be cooked and get very hard.

Of course this is an OLD old old recipe to 'cure a roc' if it at all makes any sence .....

Cheers.,

Vic

Catherine

Post #5 of 12 (7719 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Vic!!!

Can't Post |

Please also convey my thanks to your Mom as well. Want my 'Mexican Blender' prepped properly so it too
will be in service for many yrs. First I've heard of 'baking' it btw. Great info!

Bill Gibson

Post #6 of 12 (7720 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

Molcajetes are cured by using either white rice (that was mentioned earlier) or cracked dry corn and grinding (if necessary in batches) until the corn or rice comes out clean. Then place the molcajete upside down on a gas burner for 1/2 hour. Allow to cool, rinse it out, and there you have it. Ready to use.
Method from Guaymas, Mexico

Bill Gibson

Bill Gibson

Post #7 of 12 (7719 views)

Shortcut

Molcajete

Can't Post |

Molcajete = "licuidora azteca" tambien!!

Catherine

Post #8 of 12 (7721 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

I have mine soaking now. Will season tomorrow. Thanks so very much for
posting info/instructions. Really appreciate your
sharing. Stumbling on this site was like finding
treasure!

Bob Brent

Post #9 of 12 (7721 views)

Shortcut

Molcajete

Can't Post |

Check this out...........

http://www.teoma.com/gs?terms=molcajete

Bob Brent

Post #10 of 12 (7724 views)

Shortcut

Molcajete

Can't Post |

A molcajete (mortar and pestle) has long been the basis of any traditional Mexican meal. It is made from volcanic rock and the rough surface is excellent for grinding spices. The bowl like shape of the molcajete is appropriate for both blending and serving table sauces. Before use, please soak your molcajete for 8-12 hours in lukewarm water. After drying the porous surface, grind a few cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of comino, salt and pepper in your molcajete until most of the spices are absorbed into its surface. Rinse under running water - that's all the cleaning your molcajete needs.

Rey

Post #11 of 12 (7720 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

The way to cure it is to grind white rice (uncooked..hehe) in it.
You grind it until it turns dark, dump it out, pour more in and repeat until
it stays white after grinding it. I've never done it before, so I don't know
how long it takes.

Rey

Carron

Post #12 of 12 (7721 views)

Shortcut

Molcajete

Can't Post |

A molcajete can also be seasoned by using dry rice, grinding it in until most of the surface is filled in smoothly. This method does not require baking or heating.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4