Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Karen K

Feb 12, 2011, 2:58 PM

Post #1 of 17 (13166 views)

Shortcut

is there no privacy?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,
Today (although I lived up 6 miles of a dirt road in the municipal de Comala) two men came to my ranch and offered me salvation through the Jehova Witnesses. I am 63 years old and have studied many religions in my younger years before I made a conscience choice in my present faith (which is not perfect in my opinion, however, I choose it). They were told about me by a "friend" who has lived in Mexico over 30 years.

What is this? I moved to Mexico to live my life. Not to be hasseled by the mundan of US life! And I have Missionaries at my door in the wilds of the compo? Por favor, da me en paz! All I could tell them is if they wanted to tell me about all the evils in life, which they weren't doing anything about - go away!

Has anyone else experienced this?

bournemouth

Feb 12, 2011, 3:01 PM

Post #2 of 17 (13151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Karen K] is there no privacy?

We don't live 6 miles up a dirt road but Jehovah's Witnesses, both English speaking and Spanish speaking often ring our bell - no, I'm afraid there is no getting away from them.

rockydog85251

Feb 12, 2011, 3:31 PM

Post #3 of 17 (13142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] is there no privacy?

We live in downtown Comala & have had them at our door 1 time. We ran into the "Witnesses" in the parking lot of the new Walmart one time & they were real chatty! I don't know why someone feels the insatiable need to "save" others who already have peace in their lives!
Willie

Bennie García

Feb 12, 2011, 4:00 PM

Post #4 of 17 (13131 views)

Shortcut

Maybe you should invite them in and have them help you with your Spanish.

Karen K

Feb 12, 2011, 4:07 PM

Post #5 of 17 (13127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] is there no privacy?

Bennie,

I agree, my spanish is terrible. My Ranch Manager speaks fluent english. He has been with me almost 5 years. Do you want to help me with my spanish?

In Reply To

arbon

Feb 12, 2011, 4:15 PM

Post #6 of 17 (13120 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Maybe you Karen can help Bennie with his basic English.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bennie García

Feb 12, 2011, 7:31 PM

Post #7 of 17 (13075 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] is there no privacy?

Or have arbon teach you his own particular form of unintelligible gibberish.

tashby

Feb 12, 2011, 9:15 PM

Post #8 of 17 (13042 views)

Shortcut

Is there no privacy? Evidently not...

http://www.watchtower.org/address/article_01.htm

We get Jehovah Witnesses pretty regularly at our door, but it's never really bothered me. Maybe once a month or so. They're always so nicely dressed and well-behaved. Easy to smile and thank and send next door. Benign.

I do confess I was a little startled by a uniquely assertive Mormon (!) last week. Later, when it was safe to leave the house, I noticed his group getting into an Idaho-plated car that was parked down the street. Whatever.

(This post was edited by tashby on Feb 12, 2011, 9:20 PM)

Vichil

Feb 13, 2011, 9:22 AM

Post #9 of 17 (12963 views)

Shortcut

This morning we had insistent knocks at our door so I answered and the old man asked me if I wanted to know the truth, I responded truly no...We both laughed and they went on their way. They are harmless and you can joke with them. In the middle of San Cristobal we have no privacy, the missionaries come all the time. The whores on the street tell me my husband buys Tecate which in their opinion is way too expensive and he is wasting money. The neighbors tells me who knocks at the door when we are not here and so on... No big deal....

Goyo

Feb 13, 2011, 10:03 AM

Post #10 of 17 (12951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] is there no privacy?

In Reply To
The whores on the street tell me my husband buys Tecate which in their opinion is way too expensive and he is wasting money.

That's interesting.

I wonder what else they have to say?

Vichil

Feb 13, 2011, 5:13 PM

Post #11 of 17 (12883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goyo] is there no privacy?

If you saw the ladies you would not wonder too much.

joaquinx

Feb 14, 2011, 8:15 AM

Post #12 of 17 (12792 views)

Shortcut

When they come knocking on my door, I say to them, "Soy Musulmán". They then leave without saying a word.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

leegleze

Feb 19, 2011, 7:10 AM

Post #13 of 17 (12554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] is there no privacy?

When I first arrived here (Bucerias, near PV), I was told that approximately 80% of the Mexicans here are Jehovah's Witnesses. To me, that was a huge number. They will come about three times a month, mostly in the mornings and, although annoying, are generally respectful when I say "No, gracias". The only time I am truly upset by the intrusion is when they bring small children, and insist that I take the brochures the children profer. I just don't think little people should be used to garner sympathy for their cause.
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

sioux4noff

Feb 24, 2011, 9:20 PM

Post #14 of 17 (12313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [leegleze] is there no privacy?

80% sounds pretty high. There's only the one Kingdom Hall in Bucerias, and 3 or 4 Catholic churches. I suspect it is more like 80+ % Catholic.

The JW's come to our house fairly frequently, usually at least once a week. I sometimes will chat with them if I'm not busy, it really is a chance to practice conversational Spanish skills. I tell them no thanks to the booklets (in English or Spanish) as I haven't finished reading the last one they left here. I never discuss religion with them, more often things like the weather or they ask about where we are from.
Actually the one who was most annoying to me was a Canadian woman as she was much more assertive than the Mexican Jehovah Witnesses who come by.

barontjk

May 11, 2011, 8:27 PM

Post #15 of 17 (10985 views)

Shortcut

Karen,

I live in a coto privado in Guada. and the local american mormons tried to get to me when they heard an american lived in the neighborhood, but our security man checked with me before letting them in and then told them to leave after I told him I wasn't interested.

So yes, the "missionaries" seem to be everywhere.

t.k.

kevinpham02

May 12, 2011, 11:19 PM

Post #16 of 17 (10878 views)

Shortcut

Maybe you should make friend with them and ask them to teach you Spanish

photoshop free - girl xinh

Mexberry

May 16, 2011, 5:15 PM

Post #17 of 17 (10718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [leegleze] is there no privacy?

We live nearby in Nuevo Vallarta and I'm sure we get the same groups as Leegleze does. There is normally a group 4 to 6 in number at the gate and whilst they are polite the 'pack' approach is intimidating which I'm sure is counter productive.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4