Post deleted by Administrator |

sparks

Feb 11, 2011, 5:27 PM

Post #2 of 11 (8170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bienchida] Violence levels in GDL?

Can't Post | Private Reply
>>> Our family members in Colima report a lot of kidnappings

BS and more BS. Just because kidnappings happen does not make them rampant.

I would comment on stories related by many Mexicans I know but I'm only partially qualified and could easily be classified as simply an outsider.

Mexico is not another Egypt in the making

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

rockydog85251

Feb 11, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #3 of 11 (8137 views)

Shortcut

Try reading the newspapers online to follow what's going on - here's one:

http://www.diariodecolima.com/inicio.php

JRinPV

Feb 12, 2011, 8:52 AM

Post #4 of 11 (8062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Violence levels in GDL?

Best not to read the newspapers.

cbviajero

Feb 12, 2011, 9:06 AM

Post #5 of 11 (8055 views)

Shortcut

I have lived in Guadalajara for the last 6 years,IMO things are getting worse,example last night some assholes threw grenades and fired on a crowd of people leaving a club about 4 am,5 dead and 28 wounded sounds more like Bagdad than downtown GDL.I'm not leaving but I am more careful than I used to be.I understand there will be a peace rally tomorrow near where this happened.I love living in Mexico and it's very sad to see this happening.
Regards
Chris

good2go

Feb 12, 2011, 4:45 PM

Post #6 of 11 (7971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Violence levels in GDL?

Sparks, out of curiosity what did you mean when you stated "Mexico is not another Eygpt in the making".
Thanks for your clarification.

sparks

Feb 12, 2011, 5:07 PM

Post #7 of 11 (7968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [good2go] Violence levels in GDL?

In Reply To
Sparks, out of curiosity what did you mean when you stated "Mexico is not another Eygpt in the making".
Thanks for your clarification.

I think that was the Gin-n-Tonic medicine I'm using for this 3 day cold. Freezing here in the morning.

But with Egypt on the mind and before Mubarak walked out the back door .... that could have been real violence

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

privado

Feb 19, 2011, 11:29 AM

Post #8 of 11 (7684 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi all!

I currently live in Seattle but looking to relocate to Guadalajara for a new job at HP. I have lived in Mexico previously (D.F.) and have been all over (Cuernavaca, Tijuana, Colima, Taxco) but that was years ago (5) before all of the drug violence got really bad.

Now I am married and have a 2 year old son. Husband is Mexican from Colima. Our family members in Colima report a lot of kidnappings and of course on YouTube and Univision we get a heavy dose of just how crazy it is getting.

However I have been reading posts here and also talking with people who have vacationed recently in PV and Sayulita and they said it was tranquilo.

Soooo, I'm hoping to connect with folks who live in Guadalajara (Zapopan, Centro or South East area (close to HP) that can give me the scoop on just how it is there now.

Ayuda??? :)

JRinPV

Feb 20, 2011, 9:12 AM

Post #9 of 11 (7566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [privado] Violence levels in GDL?

Well, over on the coast here, we're 5 hours away from Guadalajara

privado

Feb 21, 2011, 12:33 PM

Post #10 of 11 (7414 views)

Shortcut

I live in Zapopan-I go about my daily life just as before as do almost all people here in the city.
We are cautious about where we go at night- but most middle class people do not frequent areas that are problematic just as if we lived in LA or Seattle- We went out to dinner on Sat. night and didn't return until after 12 am- Guadalajara like most Mexican cities is a late night city- people work until 7 -730 and don't arrive home until 8-830pm- Dinner out usually starts at 9-10pm-and movies are jammed for the 10pm seating-

However, there are incidents of narco violence that happening- The well publicized incidents in the city are basically narco vs narco, or criminal gangs trying to intimidate the government. Other incidents, extortion of businesses or kidnapping threats are never reported to authorities or appear in the news. But, from what I hear, seem to be mainly trageted at the wealthy. We do know of a friend in his mid40's who has left the country and now lives in the US because of this and have close friends who are sending their university age kids to school in Europe. Neighbors and other people I know with elementary and high school kids are going about life as usual.

Suggestion- If you are going to rent--- look for a home in Zapopan in a small gated Coto-there are many- Most are secured either by 24 hr guards or with coded entry cards- I live in a gated 24 hr guarded Coto of 18 homes- we have 12 ft walls surrounding our community - inside all Homes are well maintained - looks like any upper middle class neighborood in the US- front lawns with trees, flowers, open to the street-sidewalks, where kids can ride bikes and play with others, walk your dog etc. In my Coto, as well as cotos where friends live- there is usually a Party Pavillion, for birthday parites- family get togethers etc-we also have a pool, spa and tennis court.

Obviously you have made the coice to move to Mexico already-HP is a huge facility and you will meet many others like yourself-Good Luck.

barontjk

May 11, 2011, 8:20 PM

Post #11 of 11 (5472 views)

Shortcut

hello,

i just noticed your post today. i have lived in guada for 9 months now, and i don't find the city anymore worrisome than i did cleveland, if that helps.

lately, the police have been pulling me over to ask me questions because i have american plates on my car, which is annoying, but so far they have been polite.

not sure if this helps.

tom koloniar

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4