Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

T

Feb 6, 2011, 1:57 PM

Post #26 of 37 (5311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Has the flight begun?

Can't Post | Private Reply

Thank you, Steve. It is now on my favorites list, as it should be with anyone who lives in lakeside. I mean what the hell else do us old farts living in lakeside have to do other than talk about restaurants and the weather? Well, at least until the last couple of weeks. T.

T

Feb 6, 2011, 2:03 PM

Post #27 of 37 (5310 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Has the flight begun?

Thanks Rolly. You are always there for us, whether to elucidate or shut down our topics. Grin. T.

johninajijic

Feb 6, 2011, 2:46 PM

Post #28 of 37 (5299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Has the flight begun?

Hey "T" - Is this your own private thread??? Just joking!!! I do enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks for the positive remark on the other thread about my Restaurant reviews and lists.

NEOhio1 - I think you're a Realtor correct or are you assuming that identity? TONS of homes on the market??? I don't think so. What kind of figure is that? How many homes are listed on MLS?

bournemouth

Feb 6, 2011, 2:58 PM

Post #29 of 37 (5294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Has the flight begun?

Check here John and decide for yourself - the MLS site shows 562 residential listings:

http://www.mlsmexico.com

chinagringo

Feb 6, 2011, 3:39 PM

Post #30 of 37 (5281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Has the flight begun?

So there are 562 homes listed on the MLS but back on Sept. 8, I made a post when there were 470 listed on the MLS. This is an increase of a little over 20% in 6 months. The real question is what percentage of homes in the Lake Chapala area are actually listed on the MLS? I have heard speculation that the percentage may be as low as 10% and maybe up to 40%. For the sake of discussion, I will say that it is 25%. Using that figure, one could reasonably estimate that there in excess of 2000 homes on the market. I may be all wet but I would call that an inventory glut! Furthermore, if you were to include the lots for sale, you would have a total of 854 properties for sale and if you use the same 25% estimate, you are now talking over 3400 properties for sale.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

arbon

Feb 6, 2011, 5:22 PM

Post #31 of 37 (5268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Has the flight begun?

Can't Post |
Is there a list of vacant homes?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

simpsca

Feb 7, 2011, 3:55 PM

Post #32 of 37 (5159 views)

Shortcut

I am staying - San Juan Cosala. Just got a new NOB neighbor. And another new friend just bought a house in Chapala - been here 4 months.

johninajijic

Feb 7, 2011, 7:18 PM

Post #33 of 37 (5105 views)

Shortcut

I think you have to figure how many gringo owned homes there are on the market before you consider it a glut and at what are they priced at. Most realtors and owners tend to overprice the houses, so the houses just sit there.

If chinagringo thinks 562 homes is a glut out of maybe 5,000 or 10,000 homes, I don't think so.

chinagringo what do you call the 1,100 homes that were for sale in March 2001 when I arrived here??? And most of them sold.

chinagringo

Feb 7, 2011, 7:59 PM

Post #34 of 37 (5094 views)

Shortcut

Not quite sure what your point is John. Do "gringo owned" homes count differently than Mexican owned homes?

You seem to forget that we owned a home in the area well before you arrived on the scene. I am also very aware of the history of the MLS and the ups and downs that it has experienced. It is a possibility that there were 1100 homes on the MLS back in 2001 and it isn't really relative to the current situation 10 years later. I think if you go back and read my post, you will note that I didn't say 562 homes was a glut. I was making that statement with respect to the extending off that number in an attempt to get a real picture, which I estimated to be in the 2000 to 3000 range. To my way of thinking, numbers in the stated range would constitute a glut.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

T

Feb 8, 2011, 12:37 PM

Post #35 of 37 (5015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Has the flight begun?

OK. That was funny. At least I hope so. T

T

Feb 8, 2011, 12:43 PM

Post #36 of 37 (5010 views)

Shortcut

Hi John,

I think it is the responsibility of the OP to follow their topic and respond to those that give helpful comments. It is also a way to keep it on topic. I hate it when folks post and then never respond again and the topic goes haywire, don' t you? T

NEOhio1

Feb 9, 2011, 12:47 PM

Post #37 of 37 (4876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Has the flight begun?

I think today is a whole different ballgame than 2001 or even 2006. Then it was the health of the lake and its absence and there were WAY fewer amenities, so coming here had to be something you really wanted to do in essence a 'real' adventure. The recent past hsn't seen that be the case, with the upswing in amenities, the recovery of the lake and the focus on recreating the malecons the past few years has made this just a very desirable place to escape to, regardless of your innate ability to handle an 'adventure'.

However, civil strife or narco traficante action coming closer does result in people rethinking their plans, both before they come and if they are here. The MLS is not a good barometer of activity. Length of time, reducing prices, actual sales figures and pocket listings are better indicators. People are telling realtors that if their house is something the realtor believes a client would like, bring the client over to see as an offer is always welcome.

Is there a flight, I don't think so, at least not anything significant, but the normal flow north is picking up but possibly for other reasons...medical amoung the most common, family coming in second. The group of retirees arriving a decade ago are now a decade older, and needs and wants change. What brought them here at 60 or 65 may no longer be valid and the national situation might just make it easier to go.

There is a difference between a reason and an excuse....the national situation gives them a good excuse when there might be a myriad of reasons.

(This post was edited by NEOhio1 on Feb 9, 2011, 1:11 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4