Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

toni

Feb 4, 2011, 3:54 PM

Post #1 of 10 (8183 views)

Shortcut

Driving from PV Airport to Jocotepec

Can't Post | Private Reply
We're flying into PV, renting a car & driving to Jocotepec in a couple of weeks. I understand there are 2 possible routes, one is more northern via toll roads & the southern route has a lot of windy 2 lane roads, but is quite scenic. Suggestions as to which is the quickest? We don't want to drive when it's dark. Any areas that we won't want to stop? Thanks in advance!

sparks

Feb 4, 2011, 7:49 PM

Post #2 of 10 (8157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toni] Driving from PV Airport to Jocotepec

My taxi from Joco to the airport cost 600 pesos and we didn't stop anywhere. I wonder why you want to know where not to stop (Walmart, Ajijic, etc)

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

toni

Feb 5, 2011, 6:35 AM

Post #3 of 10 (8116 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Driving from PV Airport to Jocotepec

Just didn't know if any areas between PV & Jocotepec were not safe to stop for a bathroom break or quick bite to eat.

RickS

Feb 5, 2011, 7:48 AM

Post #4 of 10 (8101 views)

Shortcut

"Suggestions as to which is the quickest?"

I've driven both those routes several times and lately. It's about a toss-up IMO as to which way is the quicker of the two but, for me these days, driving via the cuota is by far the less stressful way.... you'll arrive less whipped. As far as safety, I've not heard of anything that would have me suggest one route over the other.... either lately or in the past.

For the 'southern' route as you call it, you will need a map of some sort (as it sounds like you have never been either route) because it is not just a straight shot on one hiway. For that matter neither is the 'northern' route but it is a more defined route on major hiways.

Mexberry

Feb 6, 2011, 7:38 PM

Post #5 of 10 (8003 views)

Shortcut

It gets dark by 7pm. Depending when your flight arrives will determine where you stop if at all. Take the cuota if you are new to the area as it is less stressful.There are plenty of hotels in Bucerias, Sayulita etc.if required.
Mexberry.

sparks

Feb 7, 2011, 4:35 AM

Post #6 of 10 (7976 views)

Shortcut

I totally spaced on that ... didn't see PV and thought GDL

I wouldn't hesitate to take highway 70 which starts east just north of the airport (Home Depot). Very scenic, the road gets better every year and I don't care for highway 200 from Vallarta to Compostela. There are a couple of roads that cross from 70 to highway 80 which will bring you into Joco the back way avoiding Guad

RickS

Feb 7, 2011, 6:27 AM

Post #7 of 10 (7962 views)

Shortcut

Just be aware that there is a great deal of road construction on Hiway 80 and elsewhere. If one cuts south off of 70 at Ameca through San Martine, this road has deteriorated quite a bit and is pretty rock-n-roll and with potholes. Then east on 80 the road is in one form of reconstruction or another..... some stretches mostly finished but still with 'debris', some completely gravel and some one-lane traffic. Once one gets to the 15 cuota intersection and heads towards Jocotopec, free 15 'all the way' to Jocotopec is full of construction, some major with 15-30 minute waits in construction areas and other areas of one-way lanes. It is a mess and will be for another several months at best.

toni

Feb 7, 2011, 6:14 PM

Post #8 of 10 (7911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving from PV Airport to Jocotepec

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. This will be our first venture in driving any distance while in Mexico and the information will be very helpful!

sparks

Feb 7, 2011, 7:17 PM

Post #9 of 10 (7898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving from PV Airport to Jocotepec

Posted on RV Net

Posted: 02/01/11 10:57am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was told about this one so I took it today. It runs from Tala off Mexico 70 at Pemex 1613 to Santa Cruz de la flores on Mexico 80 at Pemex 3188. getting onto it at either end is a little tricky as they are constructing interchanges, but the road is new & 4 lanes all the way. it now has designation Highway 601. Despite showing as a minor yellow road in Guia Roji, it is cuota standard. there is one short detour around an overpass under construction that appears to be nearing completion.

This is ideal if headed to Roca Azul or Villa Corona or points south coming from the west. Misses Guadalajara completely.

RickS

Feb 8, 2011, 6:29 AM

Post #10 of 10 (7868 views)

Shortcut

Yes, Guia Roji 2011 shows that route as 4-lane. Even when it was 'yellow' it wasn't a bad road. Finding how to get on it off of Hiway 15 at Pemex 3188 was tricky then too.

2011 shows that 'new' road continuing, as a 4-lane, eastward through Tlajomulco and Cajititlan hooking up with the Guadalajara-Chapala carretera but I think that part is still 'under construction'.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4