Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Joe O'Connell

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 3 (4339 views)

Shortcut

First recorded use of the word "barbacoa"

Can't Post |

I am looking for an authoritative answer to the question: What was the first written use of the word "barbacoa" in the Spanish language? The English word "barbecue" is derived from it, and the English word's first use was in the year 1661 (email me for details). When did any of the early Spanish explorers make use of the word "barbacoa" (or similar words). Maybe a Spanish American historian can check the etymology in the Spanish dictionary equivalent of the OED. Thanks

sandy

Post #2 of 3 (4335 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

Hi- At a web site, I read that long ago, when cooking for large groups of people, that an entire animal was put into a pit. From chin to rear of the animal. The word
Barba (which means chin) and cola (which means rear) was later just shortened to barbacoa. Hope this helps. : I am looking for an authoritative answer to the question: What was the first written use of the word "barbacoa" in the Spanish language? The English word "barbecue" is derived from it, and the English word's first use was in the year 1661 (email me for details). When did any of the early Spanish explorers make use of the word "barbacoa" (or similar words). Maybe a Spanish American historian can check the etymology in the Spanish dictionary equivalent of the OED. Thanks

Robert Biddle

Post #3 of 3 (4337 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

First appearance in the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española was 1884, according to its own website (www.rae.es). DRAE presently derives the word from the Antilles, not Mexico; to me that suggests a Taíno or Carib origin. "Tatema" is the more usual term in Mexico for the cooking method in question.

The Atlás de Gastronomía claims that the dish by that name, normally made of mutton or goat, is a regional specialty of the Huasteca, specifically of San Luis Potosí.

Looks like we have a way to go before the answer can truly be authoritative. But it´s a start.

Robert Biddle
San Marcos, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4