Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

T

Feb 2, 2011, 2:15 PM

Post #1 of 22 (6870 views)

Shortcut

Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
They are virtually non existent. At first, I did not understand two reds, one yellow and one green. Then I figured it out. The two reds were in case one bulb burned out and we could still see the other one. I do not think bulbs in Ajijic have been replaced for the past year. Many of them are just totally blank and we have to figure out if it is safe to venture forward. I treat them all as 4 way stops. Why in the world are our stoplights being ignored and what can we do about it? T

DavidHF

Feb 2, 2011, 4:16 PM

Post #2 of 22 (6832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [T] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Actually, all the lights were working just a week or two ago. I think the power fluctuations shorten the life of the bulbs. NOB they're now using LED bulbs, less power consumed and longer life. IMHO "we" can't do anything about it.

don pedro

Feb 2, 2011, 4:24 PM

Post #3 of 22 (6823 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
not exactly earth shattering in the overall scheme of things is it. what would be more upsetting to some, is if supperlake ran out of imported cornflakes to wallow in-no?
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

stevebrtx

Feb 2, 2011, 9:54 PM

Post #4 of 22 (6765 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Well, two things, first when you have two reds (at least in Guad) generally you're not supposed to roll into the left turn intersection until the left one goes green (not always observed by the hoi polli ya know). But here it's actually quite a tribute to getting along with your fellow motorists.

You have to admit for the most part people give and take pretty well and when a light is blacked out you just sort of look around and give it your best guess as to what it means. Generally the reds are replaced more often than not, sometimes with the greens, once I saw them commandier a big Coke truck, climb up on top so they could reach the lights and swap bulbs. Personally I'd chip in for a new bulb or two but candidly I think it's quaint, goes with the cobblestones and dirt streets in my neighborhood - oh, and with the Home Depot street light I bought and Installed a couple years ago.

The actual reason I like this place is that it's 11:45PM and I have the stereo maxed out, windows/doors open playing XM 50's stuff like the Mar-Keys Last Night and absolutely NO ONE notices - and I do mean NO ONE and I'm out on the deck in shorts after laughing at the fools in Denver, Detroit, NYC etc. scooping snow and scraping windshields - ha, amateurs.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Zardoz

Feb 3, 2011, 5:54 AM

Post #5 of 22 (6733 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
One of the problems is the horizontal lights. I am starting to automatically look for them but my
mind expects vertical. The danger is when both red bulbs burn out like last week. It is easy to
go zipping through the light so beware. I guess at night one must memorize the location of the
lights cause I sure couldn't see anything when both reds were burned out. Luckily no damage
done.

NEOhio1

Feb 3, 2011, 8:39 AM

Post #6 of 22 (6694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
No damage yet? thank goodness. If you are zipping along the Carretera and not noticing, or worse yet, not anticipating the lights at their locations, then you are a problem, more so than no light bulbs in the lights. Slow down and enjoy the trip.

When the lights first went up the bulbs burnt out within hours of being replaced, it was always fun to see a pick up stop under them, the guys open up the tall ladder and climb up and decide which bulb they were going to replace, usually it was the red and often they didn't put the red cover up, or if they did it fell open after they drove off. LOL so Mexico, love it.

T

Feb 3, 2011, 12:06 PM

Post #7 of 22 (6660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Too funny. So what if a few pedestrians are mowed down during the confusion? Seems like a simple fix. They used to do it on a regualr basis, but now, not done in months and months. I have only lived here full-time for six years. Maybe, someday I will figure out how Mexico works. Probably not. T

T

Feb 3, 2011, 12:15 PM

Post #8 of 22 (6657 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Good response, thanks. I have almost stopped trying to make a left turn onto the carretera in Ajijic. I make a right turn and then do a turnaround in Pemex or whereever.

A wonderful friend and Mexican neighbor was celebrating a family event a few years ago. The music was very loud. I called them on the phone and jokingly said that I was going to call the police if they did not tone it down a bit.

They laughed like hell and invited me over, as we both knew the policia would not come. T

T

Feb 3, 2011, 12:18 PM

Post #9 of 22 (6656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Agree with you totally. When both reds are burnt out, that is a problem, but we can still figure it out. When both reds and the green are gone, we are clueless. T

johninajijic

Feb 3, 2011, 1:06 PM

Post #10 of 22 (6640 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The traffic lights in Ajijic are next to useless. Traffic flowed better 10 years ago when they only had one stop light at Colon. With all these stop lights, you'd think they would be smart enough to syncronize them. NOT. Apparently Mexico is too cheap to buy good quality bulbs for the stop lights or have them wired to some kind of voltage regulators. There is a huge difference in the quality of bulbs. I know because I was a Condominium Manager and purchased only the best. You get what you pay for.

stevebrtx

Feb 3, 2011, 5:17 PM

Post #11 of 22 (6599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Now John, you have to think this through, why would they build topes by the millions to slow people down to a crawl and then snyc lights? They're purposely NOT synced and look at the new ones in La Floresta, generally lights serving low traffic side streets are "demand" cycled - not here, again they're purposely set to cause traffic slowdowns - and they do it very well I might add.

johninajijic

Feb 3, 2011, 8:24 PM

Post #12 of 22 (6572 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
More stupid thinking on everyones part. What topes are you talking about? There are none between the Pemex station in West Ajijic and into Riberas.

NEOhio1

Feb 3, 2011, 11:41 PM

Post #13 of 22 (6555 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Do you EVER leave the house?

Pita

Feb 4, 2011, 6:31 AM

Post #14 of 22 (6531 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply

In Reply To

only for the "BEST". The best lightbulbs, best restaurant, best furniture, best filet, best fracc, etc etc etc. ;)

tashby

Feb 4, 2011, 7:25 AM

Post #15 of 22 (6513 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Pfffffffft.

What I want to know is whose cousin got the contract for manufacturing/installing the "bots dots" style topes. Talk about forever money.

Ahhh, life's good when we have time to focus on such banalities.

RickS

Feb 4, 2011, 8:16 AM

Post #16 of 22 (6502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply

In Reply To

"Traffic flowed better 10 years ago when they only had one stop light at Colon."
Well, following that logic it MUST be those damn signal lights that have caused the bumper-to-bumper traffic that has infested the Carretera since 2001! I suspect that they are also the prime reason that the price of housing has escalated dramatically in those 10 years. It simply could NOT be the influx of NOB types like the OP and probably most everyone else that posts on this board, nor the general increase in the standard of living of Nationals who can purchase more vehicles both here and in Guadalajara over those same 10 years. Nope, it's them damn signal lights. I'm convinced now. How short-sided of me to think otherwise.

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 4, 2011, 8:18 AM)

DavidHF

Feb 4, 2011, 12:59 PM

Post #17 of 22 (6473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Returned from Guadalajara today at 2:00, every light was working in all colors. So much for "it takes months for them to fix them."

stevebrtx

Feb 4, 2011, 2:15 PM

Post #18 of 22 (6463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Stoplights in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Reply to John:

You know it's amazing to me that it's everyone else's thinking that stupid - not the guy who has lived here for years and should have learned by now how the locals think. As for topes, there's no need, with all the traffic lights the result is the same.

johninajijic

Feb 4, 2011, 5:06 PM

Post #19 of 22 (6436 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
stevebrtx - Good thinking. Why have topes and traffic lights? It's redundant. Do some of you think that topes really do any good because they don't. Mexicans just speed up and fly over them. Gringos slow to a stop, at least I do.

Are you up at 7:00 AM walking the Ciclopista? I doubt it because you would see cars and buses passing each other at speeds in excess 60 + mph. Imagine a small car having a collision with a bus at that speed!

stevebrtx

Feb 4, 2011, 5:38 PM

Post #20 of 22 (6434 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
John, you're still trying to reason this out logically - for the sake of your own mental state - STOP! Why have 18 topes? - because they can, roll with the punches. A few minutes ago one of my pet peeves arrived, no CFE, all circuits down, dark as midnight etc. - here, but as I gaze up at Gobbler's Knob the lights of their crystal chandeliers are shining brightly on the hill, as usual. In over 3 years in this house I've only once, ONCE ever seen the lights up there go out. So, in the morning I'll download and rebuild the weather station db's - hey, it's just the way it is, love it or - it will drive you nuts.

T

Feb 4, 2011, 5:49 PM

Post #21 of 22 (6430 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Steve,tongue in cheek response, but I love the stoplights in La Floresta. I f they were not there I could never make a left turn onto the carretera from La Paz liquors, but I do know what you mean. T

T

Feb 4, 2011, 6:06 PM

Post #22 of 22 (6426 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Give the guy a break. We all know that he goes out at least twice a month with around 50-60,folks and posts great restaurant reviews. Whether we agree or not is up to us. John can be a cantankerous person, but I for one, appreciate his many, many helpful posts on where we can go for help. His information has been invaluable and underappreciated by us. His tenor has toned down a lot since Chapala.com cut him off. And I, for one can deal with his occasions of crabbiness, as his positives far out weight his negatives. T

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4