Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Abraxas

Jan 21, 2011, 2:21 PM

Post #1 of 26 (9910 views)

Shortcut

Cuernavaca

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I (she's from Mexico) are moving to Cuernavaca. And I'd like some info that she cannot provide. I've spent alot of time in other parts of MX, so I understand many of the cultural and living condition differences.

My concern is that I'm a professional musician (guitar) playing classic rock, blues, Latin rock, etc. Is there a chance in hades of there being any type of market for that in the area? I'm currently playing in a Carlos Santana tribute band, so that's another avenue.

I've been to San Cristobal, and it seems to possibly have some potential.

Just a musician that wants to keep on playing!

Any replies would be appreciated.

Scott

Papirex

Feb 2, 2011, 2:14 PM

Post #2 of 26 (9619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Abraxas] Cuernavaca

I live in Cuernavaca, but I don't have an answer to your specific question. You might get an answer after posting it on the Yahoo Group Cuernads.

http://groups.yahoo.com/...uernAds/messages?o=1 There are some ex-pat musicians performing here, I have no idea if they are being paid or not. The Cuernads group is supposed to be for Cuernavaca, but a lot of the members live in the nearby village of Tepotztlan, it is not a part of Cuernavaca.

The members living in Tepotztlan will often list an address without specifying which town it is in, so it is sometimes confusing.

Good luck, Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sparks

Feb 2, 2011, 6:27 PM

Post #3 of 26 (9583 views)

Shortcut

I spent a couple of months hanging with musicos while taking Spanish lessons in Cuernavaca ... and I'll assure you there is a good music scene. As anywhere, you need to meet the locals (musicians) and see what you can work out.

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Abraxas

Feb 3, 2011, 7:13 AM

Post #4 of 26 (9541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Cuernavaca

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping so. Being a long time musician, it would be very difficult to give it up just to move. I know I'll give up golfing though! Too expensive there! My step daughter and her family have a weekend home there, and we were just there over the Xmas holidays. Love the weather. How hot does it get in the summertime? Liked the outdoor ice skating rink also. Unique.

Thanks again!

Scott

Papirex

Feb 4, 2011, 6:50 PM

Post #5 of 26 (9436 views)

Shortcut

It never gets hot in Cuernavaca in the summer. The warmest season here is in the early spring, January, February, March and April. and not the summer. Cuernavaca is located on the lower slopes of the mountain that leads to Mexico City, and boasts that it is a city with four distinct climate zones in one city. Cooler in the north, and warmer in the southern part of the city. Hard to beat that.

The first house we lived in here was in the Fraccionamiento of Burgos. Burgos and several other colonias in the southern part of the city, are considered to be a part of Cuernavaca, actually, they are a part of the Municipality of Temixco. It does get very warm down there sometimes. The last year we lived there the temps got up to around 94° F. for 2 or 3 days.

We presently live in the northern part of the city, cool. Never cold in the winter. Warm, never hot in the spring/summer months.

Expect spring and summer daytime temps to be in the low to mid 70°s F. every year here, nighttime temps will almost never be below 50° F. The coldest winter we ever experienced here was about four years ago. The outside overnight temperatures got down to 49° F. for a few nights, and dropped to 48° F. on two nights. Don't give away all of your winter clothes. Bring at least one light jacket to wear outside on cool winter evenings, and any sweaters you may have to wear in these unheated houses on cool winter evenings. Warm, fuzzy slippers are good to wear in the house in the wintertime too.

You can buy anything you may find you need in the great stores we have here, right in town.

You have an advantage with a Mexican wife and in-laws, just like I do. If you plan to travel in this country in the winter months, they can give you good advice on what kind of clothes to carry with you when you travel.

We don't think we have the “perfect” climate here, but it is pretty darn good. It's a good thing that many English speaking people don't want to learn to speak or understand Spanish, it keeps them moving.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Abraxas

Feb 7, 2011, 8:02 AM

Post #6 of 26 (9325 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Cuernavaca

Hello Rex, thanks for taking the time to respond. It will be an experience I'm sure. I do speak Spanish, though not as good as I will when we move.

I know the weather is nice (I live in cold Utah so it's REALLY nice there!). I spent Christmas/New Year's there and loved the weather, and the 6 dozen FRESH roses for $10!!! Unreal!

Having relatives in Mexico City, Villahermosa, Cardenas, San Cristobal... Makes it an easier transition also.

My main concern is that I LOVE playing music (and not mariachi....:)- ) I'm a professional musician that would like to play some blues, rock, Latin rock (Santana, Mana, Elefante, etc). I know I won't earn a living at it like I can here, but still have the need to play music. It's what musicians do. I'm just hoping that there is some sort of 'scene' there that has live music, some of it maybe with American music, if not regularly, at least now and then.

So it never gets to 100° there? It's not that humid either is it?

I couldn't believe they had an ice skating rink downtown! I'm an ex-minor league player (back in the 70's). After getting out of the Marines in '73 I played in the CHL and ECHL for about 4 years. Never made it to the AHL or NHL (I wasn't good enough) so at 27 I gave it up.

Thanks for your reply!

Scott

Papirex

Feb 7, 2011, 10:50 AM

Post #7 of 26 (9295 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Abraxas] Moving to Cuernavaca

I think you will be happy here in “The City of Eternal Spring”. While I never encourage or discourage anyone from moving here, you have the advantage of speaking some Spanish, and a Mexican family for support. We have good shopping here too, A Sam's Club, Costco, two Walt-Mart Super-centers, Home Depot, many other good department stores and supermarkets too, plus all the local markets and abarrotes here.. The customers are almost always 100% Mexicans, if you can't understand some Spanish, you will be lost when shopping here. We went to the Liverpool department store yesterday to buy some specialty diabetic mermelade for my wife. Liverpool has a specialty food section where they sell many hard to get, and imported products.

Mexico City is my wife's home town. When we first moved here, she would go there to buy things often. As the shopping opportunities got better here, she no longer needs to go there except to visit her family. My wife's large family lives all over the Republic. When we were first married, she told me that if I wanted to meet her whole family, we would need to rent a stadium. She was right. Every time we take a road trip here, when we pass a village or city, she will usually remark that she has Aunts, uncles, cousins, or nieces and nephews that live there.

My wife is a retired cantador. She had voice training when she was younger, and she plays the acoustic guitar by ear. She is very talented, she still loves to sing, but she no longer performs professionally here. For me, that's a plus. She was always performing in the evenings when we lived in Alaska.

We may not have the “perfect” climate here, but it is much better than most places in Mexico. It is never noticeably humid here. People are posting about how they are suffering from the cold fronts here lately. Cold fronts never reach or affect us here. Many places claim they are in the central highlands, but they are too far west to be in the center of anything.

A few years ago, they started installing a temporary ice rink in Mexico City every winter. A couple of years ago, they started installing one in the winter here in Cuernavaca too. I like that, although I have never even gone to look at it. I left all my winter sports in Alaska when we moved here.

Rex

Abraxas

Apr 13, 2011, 1:08 PM

Post #8 of 26 (7608 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Cuernavaca

What is the political climate like there? A couple of weeks ago 6 people were found in a car, shot to death, in Cuernavaca, and I've read of running gun battles between drug gangs there also?

My wife says they aren't interested in killing gringos, but they're killing anyone they want it seems, for reasons or no reasons. It's difficult to gauge what is happening there.

I don't want to be shot simply for being "white"! I can move to Georgia or Los Angeles and have that happen!

Just a little anxious as my wife says it's all lies and hype in the paper here, and that NOBODY gets killed in Cuernavaca, as their are no drug gangs or other criminals there, period.

I highly doubt her assessment though.

Rolly

Apr 13, 2011, 1:38 PM

Post #9 of 26 (7599 views)

Shortcut

Are those prescription rose-colored glasses she wears?
Cuernavaca has gangs, murders, kidnappings, etc -- but it's not Juárez or TJ or DF.
Sill it's not East Overshoe, Kansas either.

Rolly Pirate

Abraxas

Apr 13, 2011, 2:28 PM

Post #10 of 26 (7583 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Cuernavaca

Your assessment is much more palatable to me than my wifes! She is from Villahermosa, and lived in Mexico City for 10 years also.

She SWEARS (and I know it's not true, as I've been robbed in Mexico City, and they were very rude!) that the few criminals that Mexico does have are an extremely polite group and actually normally apologize to you before robbing and/or killing you!!!!

Yes, they are rose colored to the Nth degree.

Yet, she still swears there are ZERO, NONE, NADA, gangs, or common criminals of any type in Cuernavaca, period! She says there has not been any murders there, especially 6 people found in one car. I read (and showed my wife the article from a Mexico City newspaper) that one of them was the son of a famous Mexican poet, and she STILL doesn't believe it happened in Cuernavaca.

Yes, I love her, but it's getting hard to believe anything she says concerning Mexico now.

joaquinx

Apr 13, 2011, 2:45 PM

Post #11 of 26 (7578 views)

Shortcut

I agree. A friend of mine who lives in Cuernavaca came to Xalapa to visit his family. In his absence, a grenade (to borrow from another thread) was tossed in his apartment and destroyed all the contents. Had he been there, he too, would have been destroyed. He later learned that the perps had the wrong apartment and they were after one of their competitors in the drug trade.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Apr 13, 2011, 2:46 PM)

Abraxas

Apr 13, 2011, 2:53 PM

Post #12 of 26 (7569 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Cuernavaca

Now that is scary isn't it?

How do criminals get grenades? I know they blame it on America, but I seriously doubt that the are buying grenades here as they are slightly illegal!!!

Glad your friend was alright.

How sad for a culture to go down so fast, so far.

Abraxas

Apr 13, 2011, 2:54 PM

Post #13 of 26 (7566 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Cuernavaca

Go check out my band site... www.abraxasband.com

I'm hoping to do something similar (on a smaller scale I realize) in Mexico.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Apr 13, 2011, 4:07 PM)

wearechange

Apr 13, 2011, 4:17 PM

Post #14 of 26 (7549 views)

Shortcut

@Abraxas: hope you do a gig in Morelia soon!

sparks

Apr 13, 2011, 5:50 PM

Post #15 of 26 (7529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Moving to Cuernavaca

Well of course there is violence everywhere but 90%+ of it is inter/gang related. Being shot because you are white is just about an impossibility. Stay home behind locked doors if you want .... but

chinagringo

Apr 13, 2011, 6:54 PM

Post #16 of 26 (7506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Moving to Cuernavaca

"Being shot because you are white is just about an impossibility."

Other than a couple of Consulate Warden Messages, I don't think that I have seen many posts to that effect. The fact is that the violence over Mexico has escalated and bullets or grenades do not know one's skin color. So many incidents are random and one has little control over being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We had one business associate/contact who is dead today because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and not because he was involved in the drug business and another who was driving home from the border and was unlucky enough to hit a fake road blockade. He was left on the side of the cuota with nothing but the clothes on his back. Since one was a Mexican and another a Gringo, it goes to show that one has no control and it isn't a matter of skin color!

It has been a given all over the World that the criminal element often like to hide amongst the law abiding folk. When "The Boss of Bosses" was taken out in Cuernavaca, I would guess that many of the other condo owners probably had no idea who he was!

All that said, there have been Gringos killed not only at Lake Chapala but also San Miguel de Allende and why? There might have been a perceived opportunity for monetary benefit.

No matter what is claimed, Gringos do not possess an invisible protective cape!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Papirex

Apr 13, 2011, 8:27 PM

Post #17 of 26 (7490 views)

Shortcut

There are occasional Murders in Cuernavaca as there are everywhere, and there are criminals here, the few that have been identified were mostly high ranking police officials, none of them were ever prosecuted of course. It is not a big problem unless you are one of the victims. Most of the solved murders here are committed by kidnapping rings. Drug gang activity here is usually low key, but some of the bigger cartels would love to use Cuernavaca as a Trans-shipment point. They sometimes fight over it among themselves.

The only open gun battle I have ever heard of here occurred a few years ago between Naval Infantry (often mistakenly called “Marines” by the outside press), and a drug cartel leader that was having a party here. Don't go to drug parties.

The average citizen does not live in fear here. Just don't go to places where trouble may find you, sleazy bars, places where drugs are sold or used, areas of prostitution, etc. Whenever there has been a well publicized nationwide general threat from the drug cartels, we never go out to dinner at an elegant place. The cartels have a nasty habit of massacring everyone in a nice place nationwide, not necessarily targets, just innocent people out for an evening of enjoyment. They are trying to send a general message not to mess with them.

Remember, virtually all police organizations and the court system here is criminally corrupt. Don't trust them at all, they are not going to protect you. If you try to lodge a complaint, you may become a target.

Learn your town before you get active in anything. The news organizations always sanitize any stories they publicize. Every reporter that wants to keep living does it. Print the whole truth and you will die.

You can always be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but Cuernavaca is a safe place If you don't deliberately go to the wrong places.

Rex

Abraxas

Apr 14, 2011, 7:35 AM

Post #18 of 26 (7441 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Cuernavaca

Once we move there, I'll be immediately looking for musicians to put a group together. I can't help it, I'm a musician, so it's a necessity.

Someone wrote that there are other ex-pat musicians there. Any forum or blog to contact some of them that you know of?

They may not look for 'whites' to kill there, but the Hispanics here make us their favorite target, as does the Obama administration!

(This post was edited by Abraxas on Apr 14, 2011, 7:35 AM)

sparks

Apr 14, 2011, 6:11 PM

Post #19 of 26 (7367 views)

Shortcut

The only 'message board' I know is CuernaAds which for some reason does not like conversations. Just offered/wanted and notices. Your situation of wanting to get together seems like it would fit.

Yahoo group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CuernAds/

There is a newcomers web site but no idea what they offer
http://www.newcomerscuerna.org/

jerezano

Apr 15, 2011, 9:11 AM

Post #20 of 26 (7283 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Moving to Cuernavaca

Hello Abraxas and others,

Musicians. Don't worry about getting a group together whether it be made up of ex-pats or Mexicans. You will have plenty of applicants from experienced musicians to wannabees. Depending, of course, on your own qualifications.

Too, something that hasn't been mentioned is that over the weekends Cuernavaca is flooded with Chilangos (Mexico City residents) looking for a restful and diverting weekend and willing to spend money to have fun. Prices rise, clubs and restauarants are innundated, and musical groups should have, and do have, many opportunities for gigs. Now whether they are paid well or not, I do not know, not being a resident of Cuernavaca because I, personally, cannot afford to live there.

Listen to REX. He has been a long-time resident and often disagrees with me and my assessment of Cuernavaca which is a hell of a nice place to live but expensive and too touristy on weekends. But I think we can agree that with "expensive" and "touristy" you will find opportunities for your musical group.

Have fun.

jerezano

Papirex

Apr 15, 2011, 6:46 PM

Post #21 of 26 (7213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Moving to Cuernavaca

OK, here's a little disagreement. Lots of non-residents have posted about Cuernavaca filling up with people from Mexico City on the weekends and prices spiking then. We have never noticed that happening. Of course, at my age, the club scene has no interest for me. My late Mexicana wife and I used to go out to dinner on an average of once a week. Usually everyday places with reasonable prices, sometimes elegant places with reasonable prices.

It is not reasonable to believe that local merchants would alienate roughly 400,000 local residents to raise all prices to take advantage of a few hundred temporary visitors from Mexico every weekend. I wouldn't live here if they did.

My late wife was from Mexico City, we have relatives all over the Republic. One fairly well-to-do niece and nephew from Mexico bought a weekend house here a few years ago. They don't come here to party, they and their two teen aged daughters come here to relax. Sometimes we would invite them to our home for dinner, or sometimes we would invite them to go out to a nice place for dinner. No wild partying, they don't come here for that. The party scene is in Mexico, not Cuernavaca.

An expensive place? I don't think so, but I do have a comfortable income, We could have easily retired in The United States, but my wife loved her country, so here I am. If a person needs to work to live here, they probably cannot afford it here, or anywhere.

I don't mean this post to be confrontational, but how many people do you think there are in Mexico or anywhere that can afford to spend one or two million Pesos or more,on a second home anywhere?

Rex

La Isla

Apr 15, 2011, 9:20 PM

Post #22 of 26 (7187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Moving to Cuernavaca

If a person needs to work to live here, they probably cannot afford it here, or anywhere.

By "here", do you mean Cuernavaca, or anywhere in Mexico? I do have some modest retirement income, which I supplement with teaching and translating work, but if I wanted to work more than I do, I could afford to live where I do (in a nice, though not elegant, Mexico City neighborhood) without the money my two pensions bring in. And I know lots of expats living in Mexico who need to work to live here and manage quite successfully to do so. Hence, I find this comment of yours a bit off the mark.

Papirex

Apr 15, 2011, 10:33 PM

Post #23 of 26 (7179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Moving to Cuernavaca

Here means anywhere in Mexico. Anywhere means anywhere in any country. My comment was not meant to be derogatory. Your pension incomes may be a necessary supplement to what you earn, I have no way, or desire to know that. For all I know, maybe you are independently wealthy. For several decades I have seen posts by people that show up in Mexico wanting to know where they can rent a house for $1000 Pesos per month, and where they can get a job that pays an American type of wage.

Until a few years ago, a book published in the early 1970s could still be bought online. The book claimed you could retire and live in comfort in Mexico on $400 US Dollars per month.

I have income from 3 union pensions, plus a nice Social Security benefit every month. My income has been higher than I used to earn in a typical 40 hour week in town. In Alaska however, most of my work was in the bush where we worked 70 hours per week, no weekends, or holidays off. That meant lots of overtime premium pay.

Since the recent, and untimely death of my wife, I am starting to receive more income. I had sent them all a copy of her “Acta de Dysfuncion” (death certificate) Since she was 23 years younger than I am. I had to accept a 30 to 35% reduction in my monthly pension benefits to assure full survivors benefits for her, since she would normally live much longer than I would, and the pensions would need to pay her longer. Two of my pensions have already increased my benefits, the smallest of them are still dragging their feet. Maybe they will increase my payment this month. No big deal if they don't.

My Social Security benefit was not affected.

If I stepped on anyone’s toes, I apologize. I would advise wearing steel toed boots when reading posts you might disagree with though.

Rex

La Isla

Apr 15, 2011, 11:23 PM

Post #24 of 26 (7169 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Moving to Cuernavaca

I am sorry that you've lost your wife. I commented on your previous post because it struck me as simply being untrue. I mentioned my financial situation (and I´m far from being independently wealthy!) as an example, among many I could mention, of someone who can live in Mexico while needing to work to support herself.

I've never run into anyone here who is looking for a place to live for $1000 pesos a month while working at a job that pays US equivalent wages. Maybe I've just been lucky to meet mostly sensible expats with their feet more or less on the ground.

chinagringo

Apr 19, 2011, 7:58 AM

Post #25 of 26 (6962 views)

Shortcut

Back to the crime question, an article from today's EL UNIVERSAL:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/80162.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All