Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

mensamia

Jan 31, 2011, 6:19 PM

Post #1 of 5 (9534 views)

Shortcut

SLP & Cuidad Valles - gunfights, mutilated bodies

Can't Post | Private Reply
These crimes took place last week in the central highlands. Why is nobody discussing this? Head in sand syndrome or fear of reprisal?

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...00&max-results=5

When I was in SLP in December, taking a connecting flight to Mexico City I spoke with a Mexican couple in their early 60's. They seemed middle class, and were semi-fluent in English. He had owned a small business in SLP, she was a housewife. They were flying back to Austin Texas where they had moved because they were afraid to live in SLP. I naively thought SLP was immune to the crime waves but they opened my eyes. They said they had been victims of phone extortion and fearing kidnapping and death, they fled their homes with their children, in the middle of the night. They feel more comfortable in Austin but fear for their family back in SLP. When they visit their relatives who remain in SLP, they give no notice of their visit and only stay for a few hours. What a way to live, and these are Mexicans, not involved with the drug trade and not rich. Just middle class and terrified.

jrpierce

Feb 1, 2011, 3:47 PM

Post #2 of 5 (9446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] SLP & Cuidad Valles - gunfights, mutilated bodies

Well, speaking for myself, I have not failed to comment due to either "head in sand syndrome or fear of reprisal." I simply hadn't heard about it until now. I live in Mexico, read lots of local newspapers and many international news publications. If this was covered there, I missed it. I read Borderland Beat from time to time, but don't consider it important to my day to day life.

Frankly, I just don't know what new there is to say about yet another battle between narcos and the feds. I expect they will continue until there is a change in policy and/or the cartels run out of steam. I think all the pros and cons of Calderon's policy have been analyzed and talked to death. So while reports on where there have been "hotspots" are useful for those of us who may be living in or traveling to the area in question, I prefer to leave it at that.

mensamia

Feb 2, 2011, 4:34 PM

Post #3 of 5 (9349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] SLP & Cuidad Valles - gunfights, mutilated bodies

i guess I am surprised that those who actually live in the area are not sharing this info on the forum with fellow expats in the area.

RickS

Feb 2, 2011, 5:34 PM

Post #4 of 5 (9339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] SLP & Cuidad Valles - gunfights, mutilated bodies

I could be wrong but I don't recall that anyone from SLP frequents this board. It's not a big gringo hangout.

mensamia

Feb 2, 2011, 7:03 PM

Post #5 of 5 (9316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] SLP & Cuidad Valles - gunfights, mutilated bodies

It is a nearby airport to Mineral de Pozos. Some gringos there. Not enough to care, I suppose.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4